The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

6 bolt block, 7 bolt head. Which gaskets?

Full coverage or liability only?

• Liability Only

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • Full Coverage

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I just pay for gas and sometimes oil changes.....

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dudeX

10+ Year Contributor
Jun 14, 2011
Surprise, Arizona
Hello gents, I will be swapping a 6 bolt motor into a 2g Talon TSI awd and plan to use the 2g head currently sitting on its original block. I've read a lot about various machining related topics but I can't find an answer to this question;

Can i purchase a complete gasket set for a 6 bolt and have everything I need to refresh the 2g head? Or do i need a 6 bolt bottom end gasket set and a 7 bolt head gasket set?

I will also be having both the block and head disassembled and cleaned up so I'll be replacing all seals. The answer to this question is keeping me from making a purchase so any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

So the cam seals, valve stem seals, intake exhaust gaskets and such from a 6bolt kit will not fit a 2g head?

I figured the gasket was the same or else the head probably would be a bad combo for the block.

Can anyone who has a 7bolt head on a 6bolt swapped 2g chime in?

I don't have CAPS where I am so I can't check part numbers but if someone can that'd be great!

Most everything is interchangeable. The biggest items I can think of that will be 1G or 2G specific are the intake manifold gasket and the 1G thermostat housing gasket if that is what you are using (the 2G doesn't use a thermostat housing gasket to seal against the head).

Cam seals, valve stem seals, and exhaust manifold gasket should be fairly universal at this point.

So pretty much I could just buy a 6 bolt gasket set and order individually the few gaskets that dont match up. Sounds like a plan. Thanks for the help guys. I'll be sure to report back any unforseen gasket issues when/if I encounter them during this process. Thanks!

Are these still the best, most current resources for swapping a 6-bolt into a 2g while retaining the 2g head?
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/6boltswap.htm
http://www.roadraceengineering.com/2g6boltmotorinstall.htm

My 2g spun a rod bearing and I'm leaning heavily towards putting the 2.3L block from my 1g in it, and reusing as much as I can from the 2g. The only thing that looks really tricky is the oil pump modification shown on RRE's page. That's making me a little hesitant to go this route.

The only issues I see with the first link is that you are not limited to using the 2G thermostat housing/water pipe with a 2G head and there are other ways of getting around the random misfire (see below). You can use either 1G or 2G and -- for most people -- it is preferable to use the 1G parts. Other than that, it's fine to use as a reference.

I really don't care for the method shown in the second link. There are a number of ways to do it without that type of machine work (in other words, a lot less chance of screwing up). All that being said, it works. I will also point out that while I appreciate the ingenuity of someone transplanting the 2Ga cam sensor onto a 1G head, that to me is an absolutely asinine way to go about making this swap work.

If you have Link, use the 1G CAS and disable the random misfire check.
If you have the balance shafts deleted, use a Kiggly crank sensor with whatever cam sensor (I prefer the 2Gb). This shouldn't give you any random misfire troubles -- at least, that's what I'm expecting in my own 2G as I plan to run that combination with a 1G block and 2G head.

Kiggly crank sensor kit and 97-99 cam sensor pair very well with a swap like this. I had no misfire issues at all.

I will also say make sure the head has the mod done 6 bolts run a 1mm bigger head bolt and it will starve the 7 bolt head for oil unless the passage is opened up.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back