The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

6 bolt head build

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nuclearr

15+ Year Contributor
Jun 22, 2004
Slidell, Louisiana
I am looking to build a head for my 6 bolt trying to figure out what kind of valve springs and lifters to use. I have a 280degree BC cam picked out. Also trying to decied weather or not to go with dual valve springs or not would like to know if any one is runing dual springs and if there is any head modification need for them. I know on my freinds Ford 2.3L he has to have the head milled to fit the dual springs. Any help would be greatly apreciated OH just in case any one asks i am going to try and hit 600hp with my car. Yeah I know its hard to do. I have a garret t/3 t/4 hybrid waitin to go on this car.

I pulled this straight off of SBRs website while looking at the BC 280s,"MUST USE with Brian Crower Spring and Retainer Kit # BC 0100 ", there should be no milling needed, and as for lifters you will be fine with revised lifters off SBr($149), there is no need for solid lifters like those from big len products, unless you are making 80+whp, and staying above 8500rpm. Also Im not doubting or anything but how are you going to hit 600hp on a turbo thats air flow is rated to support from 250hp-500hp, just wondering how you will be pulling the 600hp off, if it was a straight t4, I could see that, but not this hybrid.

Dustin

Yeah the T/3 T/4 won't get your anywhere near 600whp. And as far as the cams go you really need to use the springs/retainer kit because of the lift and design of the cam. You can use the stock springs but I would highly advise against it.

Yeah, Im guessing the lift on the 280s need the custom BC spring/retainer kit to work properly. If you had a BorgWarner T4 S300 from Presision Turbo's that can support 800HP you could hit your mark, but not with a t3/t4.

Dustin

fourreGsixty3 said:
Yeah, Im guessing the lift on the 280s need the custom BC spring/retainer kit to work properly. If you had a BorgWarner T4 S300 from Presision Turbo's that can support 800HP you could hit your mark, but not with a t3/t4.

Dustin
So I guess when Martin maxed out the 35r compressor at +600whp using a t3 housing he was on a different planet? A .82 t3 housing should flow/spool very similar to a .68 t4, and plenty of guys are making over 600whp on the 35r with big t3 housings and .68 t4 housings.

well i hadnt done any research on what the tubo was rated for just got an excelnt deal on it 100$ its a rebuilt with 0 run time. The compressor side is a t3 and the trubine is a t4 only specs i have found are one the t3/t4 witch is t3 turbine and t4 compressor. If i have to up grade to a t4 at a later point to hit my 600hp mark i will but even with this turbo i will still have most moded import intown. Why should i use the updated lifters reather than the solid ones? My head was rebuil in 01 and only had about 1000 miles on it when i bought it in 02 and the lifters were already starting to fail i have also heard how they wount refill properly at higher rpms causing less valve train depth. I dont want to have to change parts later i would rather do things right so i dont have to spend double the $$ later. But so you all know my ultimate goal is 600 hp but untill i go trough the engine again i am going to try and hit 400hp I have to get the car moveable so i can take it with me or move it to another location If another hurricane comes my way. I lost it last year with kartina not about to lose the 3000$ i have in it now i only got 2900 last time and cant get comprehencive anymore. so it has to run.

1SloColt said:
So I guess when Martin maxed out the 35r compressor at +600whp using a t3 housing he was on a different planet? A .82 t3 housing should flow/spool very similar to a .68 t4, and plenty of guys are making over 600whp on the 35r with big t3 housings and .68 t4 housings.
Its possible to do that on a 35R, but a t3/t4 is rated to 500hp. The 35r and t3/t4 are different turbos, you cant compare the two and say well someone made 800hp on this one so why cant I make similar power with a less flowing smaller turbo? Sure they both have the same compressor housing but the wheels are where they differ.

Dustin

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back