The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Having a studder/jumping issue after warmup...

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaycemocapaldi

10+ Year Contributor
Mar 11, 2009
portland, Oregon
I have a stock 1990 eagle talon tsi fwd. The car has a 91+ ECU rewired by me and all the free mods done including a gutted MAF, and its a 5-speed. My problem i am having is, the car runs great when cold. after the car warms up it will studder super harsh and jump until thrown in neutral and it will shut down. i have no clue what this is or could be. I really need the car to run its my daily...:cry:

does the car run any better when you give it gas or does it continue shuddering?

does the car run any better when you give it gas or does it continue shuddering?

It doesn't matter what i do the car will studder. Once I put it in neutral it will stop studdering, and then usually it will die. Then it has to cool down before it will start again. The car does not over heat or anything though.

Is it throwing any CEL at all and could you get a video of this happening that would help alot if we could all see it happen. If you just let the car sit and run in neutral let it warm up rev it a few times in neutral will it die?

Is it throwing any CEL at all and could you get a video of this happening that would help alot if we could all see it happen. If you just let the car sit and run in neutral let it warm up rev it a few times in neutral will it die?

I have never really tried to just let it heat up sitting there. It does not throw a CEL. i was kinda wondering if it was maybe coil pack acting up once it was warmed up maybe?

I am still having the issue, I can not figure out the issue. Does anyone have any idea's? the car will only do it in gear. will not do it at idle. It it a 5-speed so I have no TCU to do this. any clue's

when the clutch is starting to engage or when your in the gear? what rpm? can you even drive it at all or does it instantly die once in gear?

when the clutch is starting to engage or when your in the gear? what rpm? can you even drive it at all or does it instantly die once in gear?

Its weird... The car runs great and a little after its warmed up. usually high RPM's but it will at low RPM's too. it will studder and jump really harsh! almost like a part gets warmed up, and acts up... once it does its studdering and jumping the car usually dies and i have to let it cool down.

Here's something to check. I've heard of this on some people's cars, it's a shot in the dark, but something to check.

Is there fuel in your fuel rail after this happens, and or are you getting enough fuel pressure. From time to time older cars can build up crap in the gas tank and it will slosh around, and eventually clog up the fuel pump where it cannot supply enough fuel to keep the motor running. Also when was the last time your fuel filter was changed.

Just another thing to check cause it has happened before. Especially if the car sat for a extended period of time.

Good luck!!

^ I totally spaced this. If you took all the "honeycombs" out this would car to run like crap. You need some in there to straighten the air. I would see if you can't get your hands on another maf and see if that doesnt help or check the solenoids and make sure nothing leaked on the ecm.

The car ran awesome before. The honey combs have been taken out forever I don't know if it would all of a sudden mess up my maf? I have no clue. But I will check it all out!

It sounds like something is wrong with your MAF. Was it running fine before?

The car has always ran amazing! It used to just do it when I was on the freeway like one time then stop and it gradually got worse...

it wouldn't suddenly change anything if it ran great before. Check the fuel filter and if you can the pump. you can run a pretty simple test on the pump by taking it out, hooking it to a 12v battery while you dip it in water to see if it is functioning. The pump will or should squirt water everywhere.

Check your tps and make sure it's on all the way. Iv had a problem like this. I'd try taking off down the road and my car would studder like crazy and once warmed up it would die. Just another thing to check

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back