The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

hard to shift at really high rpms

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

..Just out of curiosity, why are you trying to shift at such high RPM's on a 420a?

What fluid are you running in the tranny? // Is the clutch adjusted properly?

Most likely the pressure plate of the clutch assembly is worn or not strong enough. But could also be the master or slave cylinder is not working properly.

Most likely the pressure plate of the clutch assembly is worn or not strong enough. But could also be the master or slave cylinder is not working properly.

New master and slave cylinders.new itch, new flywheel, new clutch fork, new clutch fork pivot ball. using the Mobil 1 synthetic mixed with Pennzoil syncromesh like I was told to use on here. as for clutch adjustment, my pedal seems have a little excess play at the topic its travel But no matter how much I bleed it I can't get it to go away. I found there was supposed to be a little play in it but it seems like its a little much. as for the shifting that high of rpms.just running it at the drag strip to see how she performs. its not a race car I know just trying to make sure its performing like it should. it was a POS when I got it.

My 420A's been like that as long as I've owned it (10 years). I've just written it off as a poor synchronizer design in a transmission that doesn't like to be abused.

It's the smoothest-shifting manual I've ever owned as long as you shift in a "daily driver" manner- as soon as you try to quick-shift or try to go in at high RPM, it grinds. I've tried different fluids and that did nothing. Fluid change interval does nothing as well. The fact that the shifting has never gotten worse while daily driving basically tells me that the synchros work just fine- the tranny just hates being shifted under power or at high RPM.

I would look at your shifter bushings under the center consol. Doesnt matter where you shift it should be smooth if youhave done all that work. before I did my rebuild I hit 6500 all day long. Its something in your linkage or shift fork/throw out bearing or bushings.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back