The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Had to jump start the car in cold

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daghstdrummer

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 3, 2005
Astoria, New_York
Ok i just bought my DSM not even a month ago.. Jan 8 to be exact.. a 95 eclipse gs w/ rebuilt 97 engine in it w/ less than 50k on the rebuild.. everything was rebuilt on this car tranny etc....

I live in NYC so maybe this is because of the weather or I don't know but i tried to start my car this morning and it wouldn't start... i know the battery is good because i just bought it last week... i had to hook up my old car and boost it.. i don't know but the negative terminal was loose on the battery... any way when i got to school and tried to start my car after turning it off it wouldn't start.. the starter clicks but it sounds like its not getting enough power??? what could it be? because i'm stumped :rolleyes:

daghstdrummer said:
I live in NYC so maybe this is because of the weather or I don't know but i tried to start my car this morning and it wouldn't start... i know the battery is good because i just bought it last week... i had to hook up my old car and boost it.. i don't know but the negative terminal was loose on the battery... any way when i got to school and tried to start my car after turning it off it wouldn't start..

did you tighten the terminal

If your starter is just clicking, and you know the battery is good, your starter is probably going bad. Make sure those terminals are tight though on the battery. If your headlights seem as bright as they should be I doubt the battery or connections are bad.

My vote goes to loose terminal. Check both. Once, when my termial was loose, when I'd go to start the car, it would click, and loose all power. That definatly sounds like your probolem. As for the battery being new, that wouldnt matter if you had left a light on or something that you dont know about.

sjgYFZ200 said:
My vote goes to loose terminal. Check both. Once, when my termial was loose, when I'd go to start the car, it would click, and loose all power. That definatly sounds like your probolem. As for the battery being new, that wouldnt matter if you had left a light on or something that you dont know about.

I agreed, clean the battery terminals really well and tighten them down. You may have a short somewhere which is draining your battery as well.

ok so i checked everything and it turns out that my terminal piece when i bought the new battery had broken off and i didn't notice.. the bolt holding the terminal together.. so i just bought a new terminal and now everything is fine.."knocks on wood"

Thanx for the help

John :cool:

daghstdrummer said:
ok so i checked everything and it turns out that my terminal piece when i bought the new battery had broken off and i didn't notice.. the bolt holding the terminal together.. so i just bought a new terminal and now everything is fine.."knocks on wood"

Thanx for the help

John :cool:

a perfect example of someone who already knew the answer to there question an wasted time posting it. so if my oil filter is loose and leaking is it because my oil filter is loose?

don't answer this question because its retarded to begin with and i won't knock on wood either

Hey man chill out, he was only asking a simple question. Not everyone is as experienced around cars as you are. Show some respect and courtesy.

x camaro owner said:
a perfect example of someone who already knew the answer to there question an wasted time posting it. so if my oil filter is loose and leaking is it because my oil filter is loose?

don't answer this question because its retarded to begin with and i won't knock on wood either

.... Dude, you need to honestly consider answering people with a little more respect.
Don't continously attempt to attack peoples intelligence with your answers.

Thank you.

I see the problem was fixed, I just have a small comment, right quick.

Be careful jumping batteries whilst it's cold. Batteries contain water. Water does freeze. The sulfuric acid in a battery will slightly settle at the bottom. Thus leaving a gigantic ice block above it. Good thing? Not so much.

Dude ya make sure you tighten the cables,and make sure that ## grounds are good if you dont know how get sumone to do it for you. Then if ## car still dont start make sure you get the battery tested, and a new one if it isnt good. Do you have access to a DMM? Or go to any battery place theyll test that stuff for you. Your car should now be fine.

Oh but you didnt say it cranked you just said that it wouldnt start. So hopefully its just the battery, but if its not make sure you post. If It isnt ## battery and ## enigine wont crank have some one check ## starter motor.

Ohh one more thing if you do get a new battery make sure you get one with more CCA than the stock 525 because if it does get cold and especially in what New York It gets cold ## gonna want some more amperage than factory,especially if you have a stereo, or neon ,or any other accesories.

Glad I could help

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back