1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

2G GSX Bucks under certain conditions

Posted by tdd536, Sep 14, 2018

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support STM Tuned
  1. tdd536

tdd536 Probationary Member

Joined Sep 14, 2018
    Elkhorn, Wisconsin
    Heres my issue:
    When the fuel tank is below lets say 1/2 tank (gague is broken so i'm just guestimating) I get a condition where it feels like a large buck (hitting a brick wall) happens when accelerating quickly. When the tank is full or near full, this bucking does not occur. I have read up on fuel cut/boost leaks, and cannot find anything that relates to fuel tank level. I have replaced the fuel filter and fuel sock, and my fuel feed line is 6AN.

fuel system (-6AN feed line, stock injectors, stock regulator)
    Stock turbo
    Injen style intake
    Megan racing downpipe
    Greddy (likely replica) exhaust from downpipe back
    crushed 1g bov
    stock ecu

I have recently done a clutch job and most of the IC piping had to come off for it, as I have a side mount. I clamped down the hoses as tight as I could get it, and inspected the hoses for any tears or cuts. The condition still occurs. I am basically ruling out boost leaks.

I accidentaly had my wastegate actuator not hooked up (fun, fast accident) to the line, and it boosted up to 20psi without an issue when I had a full tank.

Fuel pressure regulator? Fuel pump? Too much air being seen by maf? I rule the last one out due to it not happening with a full tank.

Please toss around some ideas, I really am stuck here and want to remedy this issue as it causes me to make too many trips to the gas station.

Street Build 147  1

1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    awd · manual · 2G DSM

Featured Products from our Supporting Vendors

2. bzjosh

bzjosh Probationary Member

Joined Jul 21, 2016
    Ketchikan, Alaska
    How is your engine temperature. Does it buck after driving around awhile. Have you looked at your spark plugs?

3. luv2rallye

luv2rallye DSM Wiseman

Joined Jun 7, 2003
    Minneapolis, Minnesota
    You replaced the fuel sock in the gas tank? Because if the fuel pickup tube is bent or partially broken (sometimes then floats around) it can get above the fuel level which can cause what you're describing.

2K  0

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    14.200 @ 95.000 · 2G DSM
  4. motomattx

motomattx Proven Member

Joined Dec 9, 2010
    wampum, Pennsylvania
    Ahh crap, I thought I was going to get free "GSX Bucks" under certain conditions, like if I spent so much at a vendor...your title is misleading LOL.

Drag Race Build 2K  13

1995 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    fwd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    They're just repackaged bitcoins but for DSMs.

Street Build 2K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM