The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Fuel Cut? Boost Leak?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lucid15

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 10, 2008
Portland, Oregon
Just installed my 16g turbo, Evo 560cc injectors, and Evo8 fuel pump. Turned the MBC and hit the gas, Boost Gauge read around 19-20 and started to sputter/cutout so i let off. Injectors and pump should be able to handle this right? I watched my knock meter too (Keydiver stage 3) and no counts of knock (MAYBE 1?) appeared? Does this sound like i need to rewire my fuel pump, or does it mean i have a boost leak? I just wanted to make sure this all sounds normal.

PS.. I noticed when connecting my intercooler piping from the turbo down to the intercooler a little black tube with a larger plastic black box connected to it. Do i need to keep this or should i get rid of it? It was just before the SMIC.

PSS- I also forgot to mention i removed the charcoal canister and also noticed my vaccuum reading at idle is lower. Is this typical?

A boost leak usually doesn't cause sputter/cutout. You may think you have a fuel delivery problem when in fact you have a spark problem. From much experience and pulling my hair out, have you checked your spark plug gaps and changed your plug wires lately? This could be the cause.

i had the same problem when i got the 16g turbo and i was told i was "over boosting"... i turned down my boost control to right about 12 pounds and no more "brick wall" feeling. not sure if that was the real problem but i dont have any other problem that came with that issue and before i dialed down the boost it happen all the time right around 5k rpm.

That black box is a silencer. You can get rid of it. It's only found on 2ga DSMs.

I'd check your spark plug gap, you spark plug wires, and coil pack. Just make sure you're getting a good spark.

Not at all. Fuel cut feels like your transmission just fell off the car. It's a pretty violent jerk. It doesn't get described as "sputtering". The ECU cuts ALL fuel until the load drops back below specs. There's no fuel to make it sputter. It's a sudden loss of all power.

Ok i will go home and pull the plugs and report back with pics. how do i know if my spark wires are bad? Im running the BPRE6s (is that right) its the NGK with the 6 and not 7. should i now switch up to the 7's or is this not necessary?

Also way should I gap them to now? And should I gap them larger tan the .28 I did before?

You want to gap them to .028. You could probably move up to the 7's but that's not the reason for your problems now.

To test the spark plug wires, you want to check the resistance in each. I can't remember the accepted values off hand, but at least make sure that one isn't a lot higher than the others.

As for testing the coil pack, here's the procedure:
33471d1088544507-back-firing-wot-maybe-fuel-cut-testcoilpack.jpg

Im gonna go get a new pair of 7's, im due for new ones anyhow. Its been about 10k miles.

when it hits that "cut" "sputter" does it just basically die out and "fall on its face"?

No not really, it tries to keep going but i also let off the gas a little bit.

correct me if im wrong, but I was under the conception that even with the fuel mods, if the maf sensor reads to much air, it will cause fuel cut? Dont you have to actually trick the sensor?
AKA, fuel cut is not caused by the system not being able to handle a certain fuel input, its caused by to much air entering the system.

I had a similar fuel cut problem and I swapped a evo8 pump into the tank and haven't had an issue since.

Not at all. Fuel cut feels like your transmission just fell off the car. It's a pretty violent jerk. It doesn't get described as "sputtering". The ECU cuts ALL fuel until the load drops back below specs. There's no fuel to make it sputter. It's a sudden loss of all power.

It is voilent as me and the g35 next to me found out at about 6:05 a.m. on the way to work.:shhh: It's kinda like someone else jumped on your break petal for just a slight second, maybe half a second..:cry:
I should have read the whole thing before i posted that.. haha
Mine felt so much worse/ rougher than your video.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back