The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

greengoblin's AWD Project

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New toys that will be installed in August.

View attachment 305346

I just bought Tilton 600 pedals as well. I was debating the various options (bulkhead, cockpit, floor) and I went with the hung cockpit fit. I'm running a cage cross bar behind the steering column that I'm hoping to attach it to as far back and up as possible (almost up against the steering rod). I downloaded the cad drawings from Tilton and in autocad mocked them in place and this seemed to leave the best petal position (without cutting out floorpan). Beside fabing the mounting brackets seemed like the easiest/cleanest method too. With your new column that wouldn't be possible. I'm interested to see how your's looks. I may switch things up.

Last edited:
I just bought Tilton 600 pedals as well. I was debating the various options (bulkhead, cockpit, floor) and I went with the hung cockpit fit. I'm running a cage cross bar behind the steering column that I'm hoping to attach it to as far back and up as possible (almost up against the steering rod). I downloaded the cad drawings from Tilton and in autocad mocked them in place and this seemed to leave the best petal position (without cutting out floorpan). Beside fabing the mounting brackets seemed like the easiest/cleanest method too. With your new column that wouldn't be possible. I'm interested to see how your's looks. I may switch things up.

Are you changing your seat position?

Looks good, keep up the good work and keep up the updates.
How did that oil pan fit for you? I have done 2 so far and this last 1 was pretty rough with it fitting right.

So, sometimes you have to go backwards to move forward. That was the cars cage. I had it built by a very good cage builder when I lived in Idaho but unfortunately it was done just plan wrong for my purpose. I had a lot of crazy stuff going on and failed to realize it at the time until it was to late to have the problem fixed. Truly it my fault for being better aware of my rule sets and allowing them to build it on blind trust. Lesson learned! It was an awesome experience with a lot learned, tons of worked completed and a few things to finish up! Now on with pics of what my brother in law Shawn, father in law Mike and I cooked up over a week long fabrication bonanza.

20160801_165830_zpsikm7ar92.jpg
IMG_9588_zpso2exsit3.jpg
20160802_110126_zpsk4yi2gwe.jpg
20160803_110554_zpsbxha4dlb.jpg[URL=http://s40.photobucket.com/user/kevinkovatch/media/The%20build/Cage/IMG_2053_zpsj1ni2asa.jpg.html]IMG_2053_zpsj1ni2asa.jpg[/URL]
20160803_160646_zpsvcuevral.jpg
1470327746821_zpsoshgccjn.jpg
IMG_2051_zpslnlxmncq.jpg
20160806_161325_zpsnykqhc0l.jpg
20160806_115523_1470535684056_zps7w5cuss9.jpg
IMG_2056_zpsudmmip3w.jpg[URL=http://s40.photobucket.com/user/kevinkovatch/media/The%20build/Cage/20160807_112158_zpsiuo5fcq0.jpg.html]20160807_112158_zpsiuo5fcq0.jpg[/URL]
20160807_202251_zpsr4lo71cp.jpg

The hanging Tilton 600 pedals were too low, So I'm going to install the floor mounted pedals like yours. Question: why are you raising the pedals up more with that platform since the pedals are already higher then stock sitting on the floorboard? Assuming its either to make bolting pedals in easier or to run brake lines underneath or just based on seating position? Thanks for the info.

Are you planning on doing something different with your seat brackets? I thought you mentioned that. From the looks of it previously, you didn't use a base bracket and instead welded on your own tabs to the floor pan supports. Assuming you just bolt the side mount brackets to that. You seem to have good space between the side of the seats and door (which isn't always the case). I'm thinking of doing something similar and would appreciate a photo of what you did for the brackets and a pic of the brackets with seat in the car. Still interested in why your raised the pedals too.

The hanging Tilton 600 pedals were too low, So I'm going to install the floor mounted pedals like yours. Question: why are you raising the pedals up more with that platform since the pedals are already higher then stock sitting on the floorboard? Assuming its either to make bolting pedals in easier or to run brake lines underneath or just based on seating position? Thanks for the info.

If you look at the fire wall you can see that it slopes toward the drivers seat. Moving it up a bit helped move the pedals forward giving me more leg room. It was actually a bit of a compromise. Ideally moving my seat back even more would have been better. When we bent the main hoop it was decided to get it tight up to the ceiling and add a few degrees of tilt to it which made it easier to weld. Unfortunately it limited my seat position from moving back any more. So raising the pedals and moving them forward had to be done. It did make the mounting really easy. If I did it again, which I never will, I'd make sure the seat was further back!

I must say its been an awesome experience just reading your entire build thread these past couple days @greengoblin! its such an amazing build and i cant wait to see you finish this awesome 10 year project you've been working on, i can tell that you've spared absolutely no expense and you've definitely given me some motivation for my own build,

And I'm sure everyone else following this build can agree, we are all Looking forward to your next update!!

If you look at the fire wall you can see that it slopes toward the drivers seat. Moving it up a bit helped move the pedals forward giving me more leg room. It was actually a bit of a compromise. Ideally moving my seat back even more would have been better. When we bent the main hoop it was decided to get it tight up to the ceiling and add a few degrees of tilt to it which made it easier to weld. Unfortunately it limited my seat position from moving back any more. So raising the pedals and moving them forward had to be done. It did make the mounting really easy. If I did it again, which I never will, I'd make sure the seat was further back!
Never? You know you just cursed yourself.

Question about your hood.

Carbonetics sells that AB hood and says they are working on the AB V2 kit.
However I've read from the owner of black Betty that he had to cut a notch in the driver side vent to clear the timing belt.
From your pictures doesn't look like you had to?

The original aero kit hood is "vastly" different from the version Carbonetics sells. The kit hood is a different shape that would never have fit with the fenders of a stock car. While I have no experience with Carbonetics version of the stock frame hood, timing belt cover is no where near interfering with our hoods, in fact there is an inch or two to spare. The 2G hood Carbonetics makes is designed differently to work with the stock body panels, and must have been shorter in that area.

IMG_20170125_205909.jpg

Question about your hood.

Carbonetics sells that AB hood and says they are working on the AB V2 kit.
However I've read from the owner of black Betty that he had to cut a notch in the driver side vent to clear the timing belt.
From your pictures doesn't look like you had to?

We have a TON of room under our original AMB hoods.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back