The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

Got my first turbo dsm! and it has problems!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakelandry

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 13, 2009
Minden, Louisiana
Ok i know not many of you keep up with my life or anything but today i bought my first turbo dsm/car. I also had the privledge of doing my first awd launch today and wow. However, the car does have some problems... It has idle surge, the gas pedal is verrry hard to push down, and the clutch doesnt retract sometimes. Ive done some searching on the clutch and idle surge, but my main concern is the clutch since i know the idle surge has been covered so much. I tried bleeding the slave cylinder and it did not help, and it does not seem to be leaking anywhere... It only sticks when taking off or slowing down in first or reverse. Does anyone have any suggestions on what my problem could be?

I would check the clutch slave to see if its ripped or leaking. also make sure the fluid is full.

im trying to find the thread with the video for adjusting the clutch pedal rod just to make sure thats not the issue but im not having luck.

I actually havent even watched the video yet but is it possible for something as simple as adjustment to be the problem when the issue only happens when the car is in first or reverse? It engages fine at all times except after i take off it stays down... Im not saying i wont watch the video or anything i just figured it wouldnt be something like adjustment being as it only does it when taking off.

I am having problems with mine sticking to the floor periodically so I am going to give this a shot an see if I cant get some of the pedal sticking gone along with the tranny notchiness. GOOD POST AND THANKS

I guess since this thread basically covers anything about my car i may as well cover as many questions as i can at once.. My car has a jdm motor in it but there are a lot of things im not familiar with.. heres a picture.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Is the motor a 6 bolt? The turbo has td05 on the side so is it a 14b? and dont those come on 6 bolts? Also i really want to clean up the engine bay, it has random wiring and harnesses everywhere and if im not mistaken the cyclone IM is useless and it has a decent ammount of wires alone. Could i just bolt on a normal one? Will it match up to the head fine? Thanks for your patience with all of my questions.

Last edited by a moderator:
We cant tell if its a 6 bolt just by looking at it. We either need to see the oil pan, or the tranny needs to come off to count how many bolts on the flywheel.

To me it does look like a "jdm" motor. It looks to have a cyclone intake manifold. And td05 turbos range from a 14b to 16gs, so we cant tell unless you give us some serial numbers or pictures of the compressor blades.

14b's came on 1gs, and dont forget some 1g's were 7 bolts as well.

I just put in a new clutch, slave, master, shift link bushings. Shifts like butter. We had adjust the clutch ALOT. After about 20 minutes of tinkering we had the clutch flowing smooth. Try bleeding the master also.

Is the motor a 6 bolt? The turbo has td05 on the side so is it a 14b? and dont those come on 6 bolts? Also i really want to clean up the engine bay, it has random wiring and harnesses everywhere and if im not mistaken the cyclone IM is useless and it has a decent ammount of wires alone. Could i just bolt on a normal one? Will it match up to the head fine? Thanks for your patience with all of my questions.

As mentioned, it's difficult to tell without more information whether or not it's a 6 bolt block. Thats definitely a 1G cylinder head though. 14B turbos did come stock on the 1G 6 bolt cars. For the turbo ID, the quickest way to find out is going to be to take off your intake and look at the compressor wheel. If it has fins in groups of two, then its a 16G, not in groups of two, then 14b. Unless you can see the number on the compressor housing. Here are the different numbers for the TD05 housings...

14B
49178-01010
49178-01030
49178-01400
49178-01410

Small 16G
49178-01520
49178-05200

Big 16G
49178-01420

Evo I Big 16G
49178-01450

Evo II Big 16G
49178-01460

Evo III Big 16G
49178-01470

If you don't like the cyclone intake manifold, you can buy a 1G intake manifold, which will work fine on that head.

As mentioned, it's difficult to tell without more information whether or not it's a 6 bolt block. Thats definitely a 1G cylinder head though. 14B turbos did come stock on the 1G 6 bolt cars. For the turbo ID, the quickest way to find out is going to be to take off your intake and look at the compressor wheel. If it has fins in groups of two, then its a 16G, not in groups of two, then 14b. Unless you can see the number on the compressor housing. Here are the different numbers for the TD05 housings...

14B
49178-01010
49178-01030
49178-01400
49178-01410

Small 16G
49178-01520
49178-05200

Big 16G
49178-01420

Evo I Big 16G
49178-01450

Evo II Big 16G
49178-01460

Evo III Big 16G
49178-01470

If you don't like the cyclone intake manifold, you can buy a 1G intake manifold, which will work fine on that head.

Awesome so a 1g IM will work even if it is a 7 bolt? And i diddnt think anyone would be able to tell just from looking at the top of the motor, but i am new to 4g63's. I will attempt to research the oil pan today just to save the time of posting a picture that im sure has been covered a million times. Thanks for the turbo numbers also.

I hope this "JDM" motor didn't cost you more to get it than a junk yard motor. It's the same thing in everyone elses car minus a slightly different cam profile, different intake manifold, different exhaust depending on if was off of an Evo 3. Internals are the same.

I hope this "JDM" motor didn't cost you more to get it than a junk yard motor. It's the same thing in everyone elses car minus a slightly different cam profile, different intake manifold, different exhaust depending on if was off of an Evo 3. Internals are the same.

I know, i dont want the IM, the reason i bought the car is it was 2500 bucks and it was in the same state that i live in and the body only has 95k on it and the motor was swapped in 45k ago, it just looks terrible cause it was from south louisiana and all the salenity in the air corrodes everything. On a positive note the slave was shot so thats one problem down.

Well the clutch issue wound up being the slave cylinder! Now for the idle surge, I tested the isc with a multimeter and got no reading on the 2-3 prong measurement so I'm assuming it is bad. Is the ISC different on jdm motors, six bolts, and 7 bolts?

Well the clutch issue wound up being the slave cylinder! Now for the idle surge, I tested the isc with a multimeter and got no reading on the 2-3 prong measurement so I'm assuming it is bad. Is the ISC different on jdm motors, six bolts, and 7 bolts?

The ISC is the same for every 6 bolt, 7 bolt, and the NT 4G63s as well.

that looks to me like a 6bolt but its right you cant tell front thejust the topview. i just dont think someone would put 6bolt head on a 7 bolt with no mods so i think they purchased a 6bolt jdm cyclone more is there anyway you can take a pic from the bottom of the car you can usually tell by the oil pan. also before you start mod'in this thing i would start from basics get the car runing the right way and clean it up as much as possible so you dont add more issues to what you already have. im actually a fan of the jdm version of the dsm motors ive owned 2 in my life time and both were a very healthy and strong motors......BTW welcome to the the dsm world....owning your first dsm its like getting laid for your first time. your eventually in it for so long you just dont know when to pull out......good luck take your time with it and no shortcuts they cost more in the long run :applause:

at the transmission, right by the shifter counter weight, your clutch slave is located there. pull the boot back with your finger and see if it has fluid in it. If it does, replace or rebuild you slave cylinder

Yes all maintenance has been done and the clutch has been fixed. Basically all problems have been fixed accept paint. It runs very good and it's going to be a great car once I paint it and drop a few grand in the motor.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back