The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Getting ready to buy my first DSM

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danielcolson

Probationary Member
Dec 23, 2013
Vancouver, Washington
Hey everybody, i just set up a potential deal for my first dsm. Its a 97 gsx manual. I have looked into smart buying guides, the used car buyers guide on this site, and any general help from my mechanic dad, car dealers, and anybody else i know, but i also want input from this community, as it is where most of the real knowledge is at about these cars. So here is the lay out:
1997 Mitsubishi eclipse gsx, 87xxx miles, all stock except for blow off valve and some intake. The car does not start. It needs the ac compressor, clutch master cylinder, brake light sensor, and crankshaft position sensor, and the 3 gauge panel to the left on the inside (triple pillar pod) need to be replaced. All of these parts the seller has and will be part of the sale, and all of these repairs were found out when the seller took the car to a mechanic. Price is $2500. Since the car doesnt start, i wont be able to do a lot of the performance checks until it runs again, but i am hoping with its low mileage that it wont be a scary ordeal. Since the car is in Virginia, i also asked the seller about rust, i was told it is superficial and almost wipes off. The car used to run, and the seller did not ride it hard.

Thats all i can remember for info on it. I would like to know what you guys think and if there is anything you would be suspicious of or dont like the sound of. Thanks a ton, pictures following.

Number one

Number 2

Number 3

Number 3

Number 5

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 66
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 71
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 73
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 66
Kind of suspect that it needs so many major parts at once. I mean 1 of those parts go out and the car is un-drivable, but three at once? Also crank position sensor...crankwalk?

Number 6

Im not sure if they all went out at once but i was wondering about that too. And i was worried about crank walk the whole time because ive read so much about it lately, but since it doesnt run i cant check it like the buyers guide recommends.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    42.4 KB · Views: 75
Last edited:
I have all the equipment if i had to replace an engine. And i already know a few places where i could get another. If it isnt crankwalk what else would knock that sensor out?

Buying long distance like this is kind of risky. A car in this situation, i would have to see in person to trust buying it. Now if the price was way less than 2500, then buying it long distance would not be such a bad idea in case the motor is no good. I would look into expenditure of transportaion and regis. etc. You will be at around 3500 not running yet. There are probably other cars running within that price range

I see all of these points. Ive been looking to buy for 2 years, and with the transportation, its still the best price that has come up this whole time, at least for a gsx. Ive talked myself into looking for a gst as well, but same story. 4500+ with more miles and i knew some of the people and wouldnt want their cars. Not that that has a lot to do with this one. I wish i had more options, this one is just the best that has come my way.

But im still wondering if its worth it. Everything ive learned about crankwalk is scary stuff.

But im still wondering if its worth it. Everything ive learned about crankwalk is scary stuff.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back