The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

2G Gas tank pressure??

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lee98talon

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 16, 2012
Green Bay, Wisconsin
Does our (2gb awd) gas tank need to hold some kind of air/pressure for the fuel system to work properly? I have a problem where my tank has a whole near the top. Which will hold certain amount of gas, but wont be able to hold any air/pressure. What are the con's of having a gas tank vented?

I don't want to drop my gas tank because the under body is rusty(rusty bolts & chassis) 170000 miles of all season Wisconsin driving.

Most tanks actually have a pipe that runs up near the cap and it evaps most of the pressure there. My old skyline had a hole on the outside of its filler cap stock and it never had pressure. Its not really needed at all

Most gas tanks are vented to the charcoal can under the hood, to hold vapors, then the vapors will be pulled into the intake.

It could be an issue in a rollover, being roasted alive would suck. Always on my mind with the rally car. You DO however need air to be able to get into the tank, or you will eventually starve the injectors of fuel. Oh, and depending on the hole, dust ,dirt, water, etc. can get in and screw up things.

Okay, thanks for the help and info. It's probably just be a temporary fix until summer or if i decide to part the car out. And I'm not planning to do any intense driving until the gas tank hole is fix because I don't want to be roasted or want anyone to be roasted.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back