The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

FWD Tranny HELL!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmerrill

10+ Year Contributor
Oct 13, 2009
Calgary, AB_Canada
I am ready to throw my car to the junkyard. The transmsission is driving me nuts. Does anyone know how to get a rebuild kit or a used tranny temporally so I can send my current tranny to Shepard Transmission. Please help.

Have either of you had your tranny done by these shops?

Do you know if any of them will do international customers. I live in Canada. That is the advantage to shepards transmission. They will ship everything to me.

how hard or difficult is it to do a transmission rebuild myself. The synchro in third gear is gone. Or severly hampered. More often than not it grinds while I shift. But since then its been harder to shift into anygear. My car has a 135K on it. That is all.

Well, that depends, are you highly mechanically inclined? If there is a doubt to that question, send it out. Don't bother with the frustration. Also you'll feel better knowing that someone is doing it and doing it right.

Plus round trip shipping for some places is 200 dollars or so, thats a great deal. Maybe find a cheap one, and have it shipped, and rebuilt, and deal with what you got now till its done. That'll save you the time of taking it out. When your new transmission comes sell it cheap,a nd make a little of that back up.

G/L

Where could I find a cheap one. I am looking through the local classifieds and in calgarydsm.com. I can not find anything thats for a FWD. Do you have any suggestions?

how hard or difficult is it to do a transmission rebuild myself. The synchro in third gear is gone. Or severly hampered. More often than not it grinds while I shift. But since then its been harder to shift into anygear. My car has a 135K on it. That is all.

If you have to ask you can't handle it. For me it wasn't too bad but I spent time with guys who rebuilt gearboxes for industrial machinery so I was familiar with the tools and techniques of dealing with interference fits, gears, preload, endplay, etc. My trans is back together and in good working order. If I had never helped do a gearbox before, I would have probably destroyed stuff.

Dude dont go through the hassle of ordering a used tranny that could be bad or trying to replace it. I have personally had my transmission rebuilt by Jack and nothing in my entire experience with aftermarket shops prepared me for the extraordinary level of customer care and experience i had with Jacks. 10,000 miles and the transmission is better than new. Do it once and never look back

We love our Canadian customers and will ship to you. We are a supporting vendor here and we also have a huge inventory of parts and rebuild kits here:

Jacks Transmissions LLC — Mitsubishi

Dude dont go through the hassle of ordering a used tranny that could be bad or trying to replace it. I have personally had my transmission rebuilt by Jack and nothing in my entire experience with aftermarket shops prepared me for the extraordinary level of customer care and experience i had with Jacks. 10,000 miles and the transmission is better than new. Do it once and never look back

I am looking to find a tranny to send to those companies. I dont care if it works. But I can not live without my car for even a week. I am too young to rent a car. I am planning on spending close to two maybe even three grand on my tranny so I dont have to worry about it ever. That has been my only issue with my talon. Besides lifter tick. I need a used tranny that I can send to them that will work with a 92 Talon FWD TSI TURBO.

LOL, I understand the bond between young man/his car. LOL

Thats not the only reason. I need it for work. But hell yeah. I love my car. It always puts me in a good mood. Well usually. Lately not so much. But that will change soon. Thank god. Got a little project for it which will be fun. it will take time but it will be fun. I am converting to a 2g MAF.

Jack will build you a trans, ship it to you, and you can return yours to him in the same box to recover your core charge...he'll even send you a return label so FedEx will come pick it up from you. No down time aside from R&Ring the trans from/to your car.

My only issue with dealin with Jacks is I think the price is a little steep. But I need something soon. I may just bite the bullet and get an economy one.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back