The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G FP DSM86HTA Quest for 9's

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mechreatalon

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 12, 2009
Pleasant Prairie, Wisconsin
Ok, so last year I was on FP68HTA turbo and achieved a best of 10.83 in the 1/4. With plenty of 10.9 second runs. This is on my 2g Talon. So for this year I have upgraded to FPDSM86HTA which is their 3586R with the FP30 hotside. I wanted something streetable and not very laggy is why I opted for this combo, plus I didn't have to spend the money for a new exhaust manifold. The best that I have achieved so far has been a 10.22@ 145.6mph and a 10.25@ 145.5mph in the 1/4 mile. Unfortunally I don't have video of my 10.22 but I do have the timeslip. The video is of my 10.25 that I ran at this years shootout. Enjoy!
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Attachments

• 10.227.jpg
    10.227.jpg
    73.8 KB · Views: 143
I had my front center diff welded hoping to get better 60fts. I haven't had much luck. The car behaves completely different. My 60fts have been anywhere between 1.66 to 1.88 :-/. Here is a video of my latest runs.....note the run against the red CRX was a 10.20 pass.....

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I just looked at his profile looks like he is at 666 @40lbs now.this could be the next best thing if I sell my new fp black. I want to be well into the 600's idealy 700+awhp but still have a somewhat "streetible" spool.

What were you changing between each pass to help your 60'? Launch RPM, ALS settings, using the staging brake, shift RPM out of 1st?

I was slipping the clutch to much at first because I wasn't used to it. That was one of my downfalls at the Shootout. I did not have any seat time with the welded diff. Once I started getting used to it, I slipped it less and the car kept bogging. I was at 6000rpm on my 2 step. I raised it up to 6250 and lowered the tire pressure. After that the car went 10.20 @ 143 and 10.22 @ 141. The hoosiers are 2yrs old now and do not feel as sticky :-/. It felt like I was short shifting it out 1st gear and not letting it roll out the rpms. I'll have to check my logs. All I'm using is the 2 step.

I can understand not being used to launching on the twin disk, too much slip and you're rolling out of hole and dump it and you're bogging and shuttering off the line.

I don't know at what RPM you're trying to shift out of 1st gear but, in my case, trying to shift out of 1st @ 8k and launching at 6.2k wasn't "ideal" since I was banging the rev limiter the instant I left the line. Experimenting a bit I was able to lower my launch RPM down to 4750 (from 6.2k) but I activated ALS to still hit the same boost level I needed to not bog on the slicks without really needing to slip the clutch too much. Setting up ALS gave me that additional 1.5k of powerband back, that way I'm not having to shift into 2nd before I'm past the tree leaving the line. LOL

Just something you may try?

Either way, I'm sure you'll figure it out. Considering a CNC stage brake now after that twin disk install?

Have you played with boost by gear? Drop it down in first so its a bit easier to get it out of the hole without spinning the tires.

Back in the street tire days I was going 1.6's all the time when the car trapped 124, when the car was trapping 133 1.9's were the norm LOL. I've been meaning to try it and see if will help get me my magical 10s street tire pass.

I was slipping the clutch to much at first because I wasn't used to it. That was one of my downfalls at the Shootout. I did not have any seat time with the welded diff. Once I started getting used to it, I slipped it less and the car kept bogging. I was at 6000rpm on my 2 step. I raised it up to 6250 and lowered the tire pressure. After that the car went 10.20 @ 143 and 10.22 @ 141. The hoosiers are 2yrs old now and do not feel as sticky :-/. It felt like I was short shifting it out 1st gear and not letting it roll out the rpms. I'll have to check my logs. All I'm using is the 2 step.
What are your shift points? With a similar turbo I shift out of first at almost 9,000 rpms.

I can understand not being used to launching on the twin disk, too much slip and you're rolling out of hole and dump it and you're bogging and shuttering off the line.

I don't know at what RPM you're trying to shift out of 1st gear but, in my case, trying to shift out of 1st @ 8k and launching at 6.2k wasn't "ideal" since I was banging the rev limiter the instant I left the line. Experimenting a bit I was able to lower my launch RPM down to 4750 (from 6.2k) but I activated ALS to still hit the same boost level I needed to not bog on the slicks without really needing to slip the clutch too much. Setting up ALS gave me that additional 1.5k of powerband back, that way I'm not having to shift into 2nd before I'm past the tree leaving the line. LOL

Just something you may try?

Either way, I'm sure you'll figure it out. Considering a CNC stage brake now after that twin disk install?

I've thought about it not sure if I'll go that route just yet. I'm just sticking to the e-brake at this time.

Have you played with boost by gear? Drop it down in first so its a bit easier to get it out of the hole without spinning the tires.

Back in the street tire days I was going 1.6's all the time when the car trapped 124, when the car was trapping 133 1.9's were the norm LOL. I've been meaning to try it and see if will help get me my magical 10s street tire pass.

I have thought about boost by gear, but haven't bought the parts to set up.

This car is badass, nice work!
Have you done a lot of weight reduction?

Not really, just the carbon fiber hatch, carbon hood, and took out the spare tire. I don't have A/C either.

What are your shift points? With a similar turbo I shift out of first at almost 9,000 rpms.

My redline is set to 8750rpms, and I usually shift at 8500. Out of first I'm usually bouncing on the rev limiter. I may try bringing my two step down and slipping it a little more like Gofer mentioned. I've done that in the past but on the 4 spider and end up bogging but maybe I just need that practice.

I take my junk out to 9700 in first. Put your data into this http://www.wallaceracing.com/drag-sim.htm, and see what happens when you play with the shift points.

So far with mine I've seen that it et's better with higher rpm shifts, and mph better with lower rpm shifts. The calculator agrees with that. I need to install a light or something though, as I do it by feel and its hard to do that consistently. I end up at about 9700, 9000, 8800.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back