1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

ECMlink First time tuning on my own

Posted by TunedUp, Mar 23, 2017

Please Support VR Speed Factory
Please Support Rix Racing
  1. TunedUp

TunedUp Proven Member

Joined Dec 28, 2011
    Newport News, Virginia
    Hopefully I did this correctly. Here is my first log and I have no idea what I am doing besides watching ecmlink videos. Also watched all of Scott Laird's videos on youtube. Still not really getting any of this from watching videos but I do learn well if I have something to read over and over again until it clicks in my head. Also, helps the way some of you really break stuff down. Thank you in advance! Edit: Forgot to mention I did rev it a few times as you can see in the log just thought people might think the idle was crazy or something so figured I might mention it.

1). Any boost, vac, or exhaust leaks?

Boost leak tested 5psi above your max boost with no leaks? Tested at 30psi with a small leak at the biss screw which I have to wait until the first to buy a new o-ring for it. I am running open DP if that matters, but the O2 id on the downpipe

2). Verified mechanical timing?
    Yes, All timing marks are dead on.

3). Verified base timing?
    5* BTDC
    4). Ignition system
    COP or Stock Coil: Stock Coil
    Wire brand and Age: NGK's 1 week old
    Spark Plug brand, type and Gap:BPR7ES .28

5). Motor health (Compression Test)
    Cylinder 1: 155
    Cylinder 2:155
    Cylinder 3:155
    Cylinder 4:155

6). Performed basic throttle body adjustments?
    Idle Switch: Not sure on this, but my idle is pretty steady
    Throttle Cable: No Slack
    TPS: Adjusted the way ECMLink wiki says to
    BISS: Adjusted it per vfaq then it started leaking a small amount of air during BLT so will have to do this again once i buy a new o-ring

7). Compression ratio
    Stock
    8). Any known bad sensors or brittle wiring?
    No
    9). Any DTC/CEL codes?
    No
    10). Electrical system
    Car off (not running):11.5v( Killed the battery last night leaving a dome light on)
    Car running:13.7

11). Base fuel pressure and injector values
    Base Fuel Pressure: 43.5
    Injector Size (cc/min): FIC 750cc

12). Properly calibrated and configured wideband sensor
    Sensor Brand: Innovate LC1
    Calibration Date: 20170322

13). Type of fuel
    Type: 93
    Percent of Ethanol: Whatever comes out of the pump

14). Watched ECMlink how-to videos?
    Yes

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017

Street Build 999  5

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  2. doubleclutch

doubleclutch Proven Member

Joined Jun 26, 2009
    Canton, Michigan
    I don't see a fuel tab so I can't tell if the injectors are correct or not. I see you have a global fuel adjustment, that shouldn't be needed. Your airflowper rev is too high(target 0.25 unless you have cams) as is your idle. I also noticed that your ISC is in the mid 80's it should be at 30. Other than that it looks decent. You should uncheck "disable airflow smoothing w/SD operation" on the MISC tab.

Lastly, idle logs where the car isn't at 180+ degrees are't that useful. Please post one at that temp.

3. TunedUp

TunedUp Proven Member

Joined Dec 28, 2011
    Newport News, Virginia
    I do have Delta 272's in it. I will adjust the isc tonight and also I will make sure to get it to operating temp. For the "disable airflow smoothing w/sd operation" it doesn't show that it is checked on my laptop. That kinda worries me that it shows on your side but not mine like it is checked but not showing it to me.

Street Build 999  5

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  4. TunedUp

TunedUp Proven Member

Joined Dec 28, 2011
    Newport News, Virginia
    Oh and just realized I only tested the ISC via vfaq but I did find the adjustment procedures will do that tonight.

Street Build 999  5

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  5. TunedUp

TunedUp Proven Member

Joined Dec 28, 2011
    Newport News, Virginia
    Okay got the car warmed up and got the ISC to 29 and the IdleAdjust to 145. Now I am watching these videos over and over to try and figure out how to get my A/F Ratio to 14.7 at idle. Other then that what else do y'all see that I need to do?

Attached Files:

Street Build 999  5

1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 2G DSM
  6. doubleclutch

doubleclutch Proven Member

Joined Jun 26, 2009
    Canton, Michigan
    Your o2 isnt cycling. Only for a very small portion of your log. Fix that and you should be fine.

7. GST with PSI

GST with PSI DSM Wiseman

Joined Jul 27, 2005
    San Diego, California
    Use your Global deadtime to add/subtract fuel to get target AFR and actual AFR to line up at idle.

Get the car up to temp and let it idle. While it's idling, start a log, and begin adding/subtracting 20 to/from Global deadtime until the target AFR and actual AFR line up perfectly. As you add or subtract fuel, you'll see your actual AFR move on the graph.

For example:
    upload_2017-4-7_1-48-17.png

Your target AFR here is 14.7:1 and your actual AFR (what your WBO2 reads) is 13.5:1. You need to lean the mix out a bit, so subtract some fuel at idle by tweaking your global deadtime a bit. Again, repeat this until target AFR and actual AFR to line up.

Street Build 25K  17  143

1991 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    12.030 @ 119.39 · Galant VR-4

712  23

1982 Yamaha Virago
    rwd · manual · Misc Vehicles

Street Build 5K  74

1992 Mitsubishi Galant VR-4
    awd · manual · Galant VR-4