The Central Hub for DSM Community and Information

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. This is where the DSM platform history is documented and archived. Log in to help us in our mission, and to remove most ads from the browsing experience.

f5m33 and f5m22 differences?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiskeyman

Probationary Member
7
0
Feb 29, 2004
crab orchard, West Virginia
Here is the deal. This is my first venture into the world of DSM, I just purchased a 90 talon tsi 2wd. The previous owner said he recently changed the tranny, clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing but the clutch wasn't releasine all the way after the change. I immediately thought either the master or slave was bad so I replaced the slave and rebuilt the master. Still no complete release. After pulling the tranny and changing the clutch, pressure plate, and throwout bearing myself it still wouldn't release.
Now my memory is kicking in, I noticed he had a parts car in his back yard that had the 1.8 SOHC in it. What I think has happened is that he used the tranny from that car. I know it isn't an exact fit but is there a way to make it fit? Could I change clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, and starter? Would I have to change all of these parts or jsut some of them?
Also, Is there anyway I can tell which tranny I have just by looking at it?
Is there an easy way to distinguish one from the other? I'm asking this because I can't reach the gentleman I purchased the car from.

Any help would be appreciated
jeremy :laser:
 
yes it is possible
I have 1993 mitsu colt GTI. I have now 4g63 turbo engine form 1990 DSM. Still have tranny from my colt (f5m22). It is bolt on (only flywheel and clutch must be from non turbo DSM)
BTW I read that F5m22 can hold easily about 300 HP.

In my opinion your problem is shifter (ya that thing next driver seat) Shifter in f5m22 is different than f5m33!!!
So there is your problem...
Have same problem for two years and twice rebuild my tranny. All I needed was adjust that cables at tranny. ONLY adjust. Only, not rebuild tranny....
Two times I rebuilding my tranny only for my stupid as asshole mechanic...
So conclusion is that shifter is very sensitive. If you have shifter and cables not from tranny you actually have there will be always problem looking as bad clutch or bad synchros or bad tranny. So before you will go for some stupid asshole mechanic and before IT charge you for small fortune (as me!) just check that!!!
hope helps
Jerry, Poland
 
Originally posted by jtjerry
yes it is possible
I have 1993 mitsu colt GTI. I have now 4g63 turbo engine form 1990 DSM. Still have tranny from my colt (f5m22). It is bolt on (only flywheel and clutch must be from non turbo DSM)
BTW I read that F5m22 can hold easily about 300 HP.

In my opinion your problem is shifter (ya that thing next driver seat) Shifter in f5m22 is different than f5m33!!!
So there is your problem...
Have same problem for two years and twice rebuild my tranny. All I needed was adjust that cables at tranny. ONLY adjust. Only, not rebuild tranny....
Two times I rebuilding my tranny only for my stupid as asshole mechanic...
So conclusion is that shifter is very sensitive. If you have shifter and cables not from tranny you actually have there will be always problem looking as bad clutch or bad synchros or bad tranny. So before you will go for some stupid asshole mechanic and before IT charge you for small fortune (as me!) just check that!!!


Jerry

First I want to thank you for your reply.
I was thinking tht there was a chance that it could be the linkage but I wasn't sure. I do have a few questions for you though.

1. Since the 1.8 uses a different clutch and flywheel should I also switch to the ones for the non turbo? (I just installed one for a turbo)
2. If it is the linkage could I still be able to go into the correct gear? (I can shift using a rev-matching method, I have the most trouble pulling out or stopping)
3. Would the linkage keep the clutch from releaseing? I understand that it could make it feel like the synchros were bad but would it actually keep the clutch from releaseing? (the car definitely continues to roll when clutch is depressed)

thanks again
jeremy
 
Can anyone tell me if there are any obvious visual differences between the F5M33 and F5M22? Maybe some number stamped in the casting or something?

any help would be greatly apprecialted.

thanks
jeremy
 
hi Jeremy

1. I am not sure, since my 4g93 engine (original in my colt) had 7 bolt flywhell so I must go for 6 bolt from non turbo dsm cause my 1990 4g63 t engine was 6 bolt...
Turbo flywhell was to big for 5fm22 bellhouse, non turbo was right...
2. I have problem with engaging gears without that scary sound especially 1-2 and 2-3 gear change (sound as bad synchros, so at tranny rebuild synchros was replaced and result was disapointing). if linkage (and/or shifter) is not properly adjusted or from that car, you can have trouble for clear gear change. Sometimes it engages ok sometimes not...
All I know it is small tolerances (1mm or less making difference on gears engading as day and night!!!) so be sure have right linkage and shifter correct for your tranny. It must be right!!
3. my not proper adjusting linkage/shifter was felt as not full disangaging clutch for me.
I spend a lot of money (two times rebuilding tranny) for nothing.
Learn my lesson

Jerry, Poland
btw my english is not perfect, hope you understanding all...
 
I think your problem lies with the clutch fork, get under the car and see if its sitting center or towards the drivers side coming through the hole, if your fork is sitting off towards the passenger side you need to either shim or get a new clutch fork and pivot ball
 
Originally posted by whiskeyman
Can anyone tell me if there are any obvious visual differences between the F5M33 and F5M22? Maybe some number stamped in the casting or something?

any help would be greatly apprecialted.

thanks
jeremy

They have (at least my F5M22 have) that number stamped on case, on upside, near where it is bolted to engine. look closer, maybe need some cleaning...

Jerry. Poland
 
thanks for your advice guys.


Mike, thanks for the tip on shimming the ball. IF I understood you correctly I should shim it if the fork is more toward the passenger side of the car, correct? I just ran out and had a look, it definitely is further toward the passenger side.

Jerry, I'm planning on adjusting the linkage in the morning if it isn't raining. Don't worry about your English, you do a very good job of getting your point across. Thank you for your advice, it seems like you know what you are talking about.

thanks again
jeremy
 
the fork end coming out of the tranny needs to be sitting off towards the driver's side, if its not at LEAST center in the hole If its off toward the passenger side you have a worn clutch fork and pivot ball. The only way to fix this is to pull the tranny and either shim the pivot ball with a washer or two to get things where they should be or to buy a new clutch fork and pivot ball

More info check out RRE tech tranny info Click HERE
 
Add Value - Be Respectful - No Trolling - No Misinformation - Participate Often!
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back
Top