The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

F4A33 kiggly mod diode question

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyE

Proven Member
Dec 2, 2016
Martinsburg, West_Virginia
Hey fellas, I have a quick question regarding the kiggly manual matic mod for the F4a33 trans. I know I need 2 amp diodes but what about volts? When I go to purchase diodes in 2 amps they offer a wide range of volts. A majority of the 2 amp diodes are 800 volts, just want to make 100% sure before making a purchase. I searched all over but just could not find it.

Thanks in advance for all of the help.

Your working with blocking 12v via the diode so the voltage rating isn't too critical any of the 1N540X diodes should be fine. The key spec Kiggly gives is that it needs to be at least a 2A diode for the common 1N400X series wont cut it.

I see, well my local radio shack has some FR207 fast recovery 2amp 1000v diodes. Was just wondering if these will be fine or not?

I’m pretty sure that they will work but better get an experts advise before pulling the trigger ;)

I appreciate all the help man.

@bastarddsm ok, so the fr207 2amp 1000 volt ones should be fine? I mean there cheap so if they don’t work at least it’s not to much wasted, well except time LOL.

Thanks for the help bro.

Yes I would suspect they should be fine. My inquiry was due to the voltage spike that occurs when you de-energize a solenoid. Prudent practice would to be to put a diode backwards across the soilenoids - a freewheel diode. A google search will explain the idea.

Anyway as far as things go, it's generally acceptable to use a diode with a higher rating than you need, current and voltage. Except a zener diode.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back