The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

1G Engine Vibration

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSM_Zak

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 3, 2006
Everett, Washington
Driving the car around the other day, I made a sharp left turn, once the car straightened out I made a good pull. Everything was fine until I went to make another pull and noticed this strange engine vibration.

few minutes later, it stops, goes away, everything back to normal.

Parked the car in the garage. Let it sit for another week. Jumped in it to go for a quick drive to the store, and during the start I noticed the vibration again during idle and free revving in the garage. After it idles for a minute or two it went away.

Really strange, I checked the harmonic balancer, its tight and on.
I have Poly mounts, BSE, so I know what the normal vibration from those create, this is something far beyond those. I do want to add however the mount mount bolts going into the tranny, have stripped out and I'm going to insert a helicoil into them, and re insert the brand new OEM bolts Ive already purchased.

So I have drove around with not trans mount hooked up, but I'm not thinking that has anything to do with the vibration. I'm definitly open to ideas however. Once I'm not stuck at work as much I'm going to get it fixed, I've just been short with time. Any ideas is much appreciated!

anyone?

Solution
Lol, no offense to both of you, but if you read my original post, it state I have a BSE kit. (OEM Balance shaft elimination kit) and Poly Mounts (polyeurethane) That both do not even have 10,000K miles on them.

I appreciate the attempted help, but I dont include that information in my thread for no reason (unless you guys didnt read and are wanting to post whore.)

Now onto the resolved part.

My girlfriend finally came home from work, I had her jump in the car and press the clutch, just as what happened last time (except it was all of the bolts) the rear trans bolt that goes into the tranny from the block side (above the transfer case) came loose and was allowing the transmission to flex causing it to make that weird...
I do tires for a living, definitly not the brand new wheels and tires. Its in the engine, more when revving. axles definitly pop when turning the car sharp sometimes with the welded center diff, but it still vibration when revving in neutral. So it cant be tranny driveline/axle at all...

stripped bolts fixed.
Now I'm getting somewhere.

The car in the garage, I hear a slight rough slipping/sandpaper type of noise, I press the clutch, it goes away. I dump the clutch (in neutral obviously, LOL) and the vibration happens, it was actually very violent. Anyone ever had this issue before? Sounds like I may be pulling the transmission to check the clutch Saturday.

Do you still have the balance shaft installed? If so, your balance shaft belt could have snapped. That can cause your timing belt get snagged and snapped if you don't fix it. Let us know what you find.

Have you checked the condition of your motor/tranny mounts? Maybe it is time to give them the once-over and replace them! :thumb: Give it a closer look, they may actually be deterioated. You do have a older 1G, you know...

Also, i own a 2G 4G63 with all OEM parts intact. Did you happen to remove the balance shafts by any chance? Removing causes lots of engine vibration.

Lol, no offense to both of you, but if you read my original post, it state I have a BSE kit. (OEM Balance shaft elimination kit) and Poly Mounts (polyeurethane) That both do not even have 10,000K miles on them.

I appreciate the attempted help, but I dont include that information in my thread for no reason (unless you guys didnt read and are wanting to post whore.)

Now onto the resolved part.

My girlfriend finally came home from work, I had her jump in the car and press the clutch, just as what happened last time (except it was all of the bolts) the rear trans bolt that goes into the tranny from the block side (above the transfer case) came loose and was allowing the transmission to flex causing it to make that weird noise. Last time this happened all but one bolt backed out of the tranny because there is so much vibration with the BSE and Poly mounts it rattles everything loose. Ultimatley breaking off the sleeve on the case that the throw out bearing rides on. I think I may have ben lucky this time. That may be the only bolt I didnt locktite after learning my lesson. Now Ill take it out and loctite it soon.

No more vibration and its shifting much better now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back