The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support Rix Racing

1G Engine noise

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blktalon3

Supporting VIP
Aug 30, 2006
Stanford, Kentucky
What you guys think? Starts a minute or two after a cold start up. Goes away when warm? Just did a compression check 140-145-150-150. In the video you’ll just hear it end suddenly, goes away in less than a second. I was leaning toward piston slap but idk. The bottom end is stock btw
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Last edited:
Hard to distinguish by the video but is this auto? Could be the flex plate/flex plate bolts is contacting the starter plate or something?

That does sound like a loose or cracked flexplate. My jeep did the same thing on cold start and went away once it warmed up. My flexplate bolts were loose, common one jeep xj’s

That does sound like a loose or cracked flexplate. My jeep did the same thing on cold start and went away once it warmed up. My flexplate bolts were loose, common one jeep xj’s
I had the same case on my 2g, too.

Timing belt tensioner pulley hydraulic dampener possibly, they can make that sound when the arm hits the tensioners piston rod as the cams loosen and tighten the belt during running.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back