The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Engine Identification Help

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

91DSMFAN

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 14, 2008
Las Vegas, Nevada
Hello. I recently purchased a 91 Talon TSi AWD and was told that the Engine was replaced 15K miles ago. Unfortunatley I am stationed in South Korea untill December of 2008 and the Car is in Nevada. After looking at pictures I have noticed some abnormalities. First being the Red Mitsubishi Logo Valve Cover. I searched and found that some thought this to be a VR-4 or JDM Engine. However, I also found that some thought the JDM Engine had a different Intake Manifold. My second find is that the Turbo has TD04 stamped on it. After a search, I believe that this is incorrect and that I should have a TD05. The TDO4 is from an Automatic Car if Im not mistaken. Can anyone tell what Engine this is or give me more info on how to find out? I have more pictures if needed. Thank you for the assistance.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Also, it looks like the Wastegate Actuator isnt even connected in the pictures. That kind of scares me. Should I just start looking for a good Long Block?

Did the US Spec Galant VR-4 come with the Red Valve Cover? I have been getting mixed answers on this. I am seriously starting to doubt that my Engine is JDM. It was replaced by the previous owner who didnt seem too mechanically inclined. I understand that a shop probablly did the swap, but I dont think that it would be cost effective to do the modifications necessary for the US Spec to JDM swap. Also, the Car appears to be bone stock. Why would there be a JDM Engine in a stock Car, other than cost of the Engine itself?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back