The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Engine identification

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bisne

Probationary Member
Sep 22, 2004
Calexico, California
Hi there, i want to know the differences (from outside) between a 4g63t and 4g63 engines, i just bought a GSX car whit a blown tranny, and pull out the engine and it dont come whit the cooler oil lines, instead have some plugs in the base of the oil filter like the ones in the 4g63 engine where de oil lines are connected .
Its any engine code numbers in the block, sensors to look up , etc... the engine its complete its a 6 bolt from 1991 gsx, but I just want to be sure its a turbo engine.

Any help are welcome.

bisne said:
Hi there, i want to know the differences (from outside) between a 4g63t and 4g63 engines, i just bought a GSX car whit a blown tranny, and pull out the engine and it dont come whit the cooler oil lines, instead have some plugs in the base of the oil filter like the ones in the 4g63 engine where de oil lines are connected .
Its any engine code numbers in the block, sensors to look up , etc... the engine its complete its a 6 bolt from 1991 gsx, but I just want to be sure its a turbo engine.

Any help are welcome.

If it's in a GSX now, and it was from another GSX, its a 4G63t, whether or not it actually has the turbo is another question - but I'm sure you can figure that one out.

If it doesn't have the exhaust manifold on it or the intake, it would be kind of hard to tell. They look basically identical on the outside, and have higher compression pistons internally and no oil squirters.

If you look at the piston (If you remove the head) You will see a T stamped on it.
In the block should have a serial number (in the front by the eshaust) and I think it has a "T" as well.

Look at the engine plate and read it. Clean it and sand it a little bit if you have to.

Attachments

• id.JPG
    id.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 730
titogs95 said:
Look at the engine plate and read it. Clean it and sand it a little bit if you have to.

Or check the compression. Around 150 and it's a turbo.

jepherz said:
Or check the compression. Around 150 and it's a turbo.
Compression ratio.Well that is Irrelevant. Because It might have a really bad compression (A bad thing) and still be either motor.

Info:
1G (90-94) T/E/L-----------Standard compression-----------Service limit

2.0L NT engine--------------------192 psi---------------------145 psi

2.0L Turbo engine-----------------164 psi---------------------121 psi

so the block code should say what for a turbo motor? mine says 4G63 then under it has some letters and numbers

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back