The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support ExtremePSI

Engine Identification

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ctcare89

15+ Year Contributor
Nov 12, 2006
Birdsboro, Pennsylvania
I picked up a 96 GST in pieces, and these two engines came with, but they appear to be different engines. Now I'm assuming the head is bolted on backwards on the one, but there still appears to be differences. Can anyone help?

This is the one that was in the car before, so I am assuming it is a 4g63 (hopefully).
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

This is the one that came with it. Most of the pictures are of the plugs on the side since that is the main difference.

Bonus points: Turbo?

If you need more/different pictures let me know.

Thanks!
Chris

Yea, I knew the head was on backwards. I just wasn't sure if they were the same because of that one small difference. Everything else seems to be the same. Of course, the guy I bought it from was definitely far from bright which made me wonder....

I dont even know how you could get the head bolted down backwards.. That is the dumbest guy I have ever heard of.. Well, almost...

Does anyone else see what I see? The blades of that turbo? You may have gotten a nice turbo.. It looks to me like the blades are going 1 big, 1 small.. I could just be lit, though.. haha

No, I know it's a turbo, I'm not quite that dumb. My question was vague though. I was asking what kind since they said it had been replaced at one point.

I would like to reiterate that these guys seemed to know nothing about this car so I'm a little scared of what I may find...

well. the reason why I said you may have come up, is the way that the blades look on the turbo.. they look like 16g blades to me.. but the turbo looks kinda small for a 16g.. I dont know serial numbers for them, so I couldnt tell you.. but it looks like one to me.. I really think you came up hella phat!!

I was thinking it was a small 16G, but as this is my first turbo car I was not sure.

Its not a 14b.. I was just looking at a pic of my old one..

That is not me, by the way... haha.. But as you can kind of see from the pic, the compressor housing is smaller than the one in the pic you posted.. but those fins on the compressor wheel are pretty much a dead give away...

Thanks for all the turbo help, but I'm a little more worried about the engines at this point, since the turbo won't matter if I don't have an engine for in the car.

First pic is a 7bolt 4g63 and the rest are of a 6bolt 4g63.

Turbo is a small 16g
49178-01010, 49178-01030, 49178-01410 = 14B
49178-05200 = Small 16G
49178-01420 = Big 16G
49178-01460 = Evo2 16G
49178-01470 = Evo3 16G

So you are telling me I got a 6-bolt motor and a small 16g turbo?
That's awesome!

Since the 6-bolts were only made for 1g's, I realize I need different parts to put it in my 2g and that that info can be found on here, my question is, does it matter what head is on it? Or do I need to double check certain parts in the engine?

Either head will work, but machining is required if you don't stay 6 bolt head with 6 bolt block and 7 bolt head with 7 bolt block. The 6 bolt engines use a 12mm headstud/bolt and the 7 bolt engines use an 11mm. There are simple DIY solutions for pretty much everything else though.

ROFL :tease: @ guy who put the head on backwards.

So there is a simple way to tell which head is on it (by the head bolts)?
And I think I remember reading that people prefer the 2g head since it flows better. Is this true or am I getting confused?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back