The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support STM Tuned

JDM engine identification..

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nate91242

Probationary Member
Feb 27, 2011
Chicago, Illinois
I apologize if this has been covered before, I have done quite a bit of research but am getting different information on this...

I just picked up a GST which the previous owner states it has a JDM 4G63, which he was told was out of a EVO III. After doing some work figuring out which turbo it has, I verified it indeed has a small 16G. Anyway, I am trying to get confirmation of what engine it is, as I read somewhere some JDM 4G63's were in vans and such.

The valvecover is silver with red print(appears to be original factory paint), has the mitsu logo followed by 'mitsubishi' in the upper part of it. But what throws me off is that it has no cam angle sensor on the transmission side of head, all the evo III engines I seen had that sensor.

So what I'm looking for is how to identify it if it is in fact a jdm engine, or just the stock engine with a different valve cover. I read that there are slight differences in the intake mani of the evo III vs stock second gen, but I have no second gen mani to compare it to.

Thanks for the help in advance
Nate

You have a regular old 4G63 engine, that is the same in every Evo III and 1G and 2G DSM ever made. There is no JDM for our cars. Besides injectors, a turbo and an intake manifold, the block is 100% identical to a regular 1G 6 bolt engine or 7 bolt engine.

There is nothing special about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Thank you sir.

I am wondering if its a 6 or 7 bolt. Is there any visual way to tell besides pulling the trans and looking? Also, are the sensors different from the j-spec engines to the usdm ones? From my experience with other cars, jdm engines can run completely different sensors/control system than the same engine original to the states.

Thanks again.

You have a regular old 4G63 engine, that is the same in every Evo III and 1G and 2G DSM ever made. There is no JDM for our cars. Besides injectors, a turbo and an intake manifold, the block is 100% identical to a regular 1G 6 bolt engine or 7 bolt engine.

There is nothing special about it.

Um....having bigger injectors, a better turbo and a better IM....does make it indeed somewhat special. You should stick to question at hand.

No but the way you reply to people does make you sound like a dumb ass. If you put that stuff on there then you have a stock motor with 510cc's, a cyclone intake and a small 16g. If it came like that from the factory....in japan....and was dropped into an evo....in japan....and then the engine was exported....from japan....to usa....then it is in fact....a jdm engine....from japan. Get it?

No but the way you reply to people does make you sound like a dumb ass. If you put that stuff on there then you have a stock motor with 510cc's, a cyclone intake and a small 16g. If it came like that from the factory....in japan....and was dropped into an evo....in japan....and then the engine was exported....from japan....to usa....then it is in fact....a jdm engine....from japan. Get it?

So then if I put 510s, a cyclone intake and a small 16G manifold on my engines I can sell them for 1600.00 as JDM. Finally someone helped me figure out step 3. On to step 4, profit!

I think you aren't understanding. If someone was to take a bunch of "USDMs" to a warehouse and buy these simple parts used for a few hundred and then sell them as "JDM," you would never know.

dude, once again your coming off as a jack ass. You are just against people associating anything on this damn site...to JDM. Because you associate JDM with "JDM mad tyte yo!!11" That is not the case. He isnt after the engine because it is "JDM". He ALREADY has the engine. So I think you should either be beneficial to the topic, or dont clutter it with these meaningless comments.

dude, once again your coming off as a jack ass. You are just against people associating anything on this damn site...to JDM. Because you associate JDM with "JDM mad tyte yo!!11" That is not the case. He isnt after the engine because it is "JDM". He ALREADY has the engine. So I think you should either be beneficial to the topic, or dont clutter it with these meaningless comments.

I am being beneficial to the OP. You are the one who is not being beneficial, get it.

1. Engine does not equal manifolds, injectors and a turbo. When you go to a pick a part yard and pull and engine, they make you take the manifolds and turbo off or pay extra.

The proper thing this guy needs to be checking is what injectors and manifolds he has, and not looking for some mysterious tag on the block that will tell him this is "JDM." There is nothing on the engine itself that is different or will state that it is "JDM" in some form or shape.

Stop leading him into thinking anything is "special" about this. Nothing in the link provided above is going to be that helpful. Nothing you have said is helpful.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Evo III is on the right.

Evo III has a larger collector, and is basically identical to a 2G, so you have to check this way to be sure.

Evo III comes with yellow-top injectors.

You already figured out the turbo, so I won't bother posting pictures of that.

Now outside of all of those bolt on parts, the engine is the same, so you will never know if it is "JDM" or "USDM" with some bolt-ons.

See now why couldn't you have done that as your first post? Instead of saying "you have a regular old 4g63" and "there is nothing special about it".

So what I'm looking for is how to identify it if it is in fact a jdm engine, or just the stock engine with a different valve cover. I read that there are slight differences in the intake mani of the evo III vs stock second gen, but I have no second gen mani to compare it to.

Now, I don't know how you interpret that, but that sounds to me like someone asking exactly what I was saying, how do you know that this is a JDM and not a USDM with some bolt ons.

The mani pics will help, I'll check that in the morning, it has aftermarket injectors.

Bringing it back to this question, is there any visual way to tell if its a 6 or 7 bolt w/out pulling the trans?

Thanks

Also....JDM engines are most of the time low mileage. Another "special" thing about them because how many low mileage, original USDM motors do you find? To the OP....the only way I think you could really tell if it is in fact a JDM engine is if there is some paperwork associated with it, or if you have the plate that comes with the motor.

The mani pics will help, I'll check that in the morning, it has aftermarket injectors.

Bringing it back to this question, is there any visual way to tell if its a 6 or 7 bolt w/out pulling the trans?

Thanks

And you can easily search for the way to tell if it is a 6 or 7 bolt.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back