The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support Rix Racing

2G effective bracing

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I easily catch and push all Miatas thru turns, and then burn them down as I exit.
Now if that little basterd has forced induction, look out.

By the end of the day, I was pushing a Porsche GT3 so hard he was getting slideways in front of me practically in every exit.
The ultimate prey is the Lotus Exige.
Those things are beasts on the road course.

The stitch welding is something I'm going to eventually do.

I'm currently building a race long block and a heavy-duty drivetrain with a Quaife front LSD.

so now what you really need to do is stick a 4g63 AWD under a miata.... then your all set LOL.

I would seriously recommend doing some stitch welding while you waiting on the motor. you will feel the difference from the seat next spring. even with the same suspension your car will feel much tighter.

I helped an WRX owner who built track day car this fall. stitch welding can be felt. i specifically noticed that i make fewer mid turn adjustments after hitting the track before and after in his car. that slight change in feel, and hence fewer adjustments will translate in to higher exit speeds.

I think what jaco wasn't saying that awd and turbo isnt fun, or better. just that he would rather get 1mph faster out of a turn by skill and will than 1mph faster down the 1320 by adding boost.

FWD DSM's are very competitive.
Look at Andrew Brilliant's GST Spyder.

I'm going to do an Auto Power Race Roll Bar for now so I have a harness bar for my 5pt harnesses.

When I eventually cage it, it'll be a full on track whore and get stitch welded and caged at the same time.

It's still a street car with serious ability on the race track! :rocks:

I wonder If welding those whole seams would have been more effectice or not..More effective than tack welds I'm saying..It would have added more wight but might have been more effective..

I wonder If welding those whole seams would have been more effectice or not..More effective than tack welds I'm saying..It would have added more wight but might have been more effective..

You need at least a prayer of a chance to be able to straighten out the car if you have contact. That is one reason why I went this route.

Finally, fender braces. And they look great (and strong). How did you go about the mounting on the furthest point (above the tire)? I noticed on my car, there's just a hole that leads into the cavity between the two panels.

I know I'm not the only to think "Oh goody, a greengoblin update".

Finally, fender braces. And they look great (and strong). How did you go about the mounting on the furthest point (above the tire)? I noticed on my car, there's just a hole that leads into the cavity between the two panels".

There are two options. One drill a hole in the fender area and slide a sandwich plate between the inner fender area then bolt it in place. The other is a weld in plate with studs. I'll have pictures of the two ways to mount it up soonish.

Kevin

So when are you doing to put a price on the fender braces?

Do they bolt under the hinges or on top? I wonder if they will mess up the alignment or sealing of the door if there under it?

So when are you doing to put a price on the fender braces?

Do they bolt under the hinges or on top? I wonder if they will mess up the alignment or sealing of the door if there under it?

Though bolt on top of the hinges. Fitments has been check on three cars. You do get the joy of realigning your doors. I posted these up to merely show how to build a brace. I will not discuss price or even if I will make them for others here in this thread.

Kevin

Last edited:
I will not discuss price or even if I will make them for others here in this thread.

Kevin
Just in case I don't make my own, I want to be in this thread :D

Any chance you got a weight on those goblin? Being NA, weight will be a huge factor to me.

MB

Fender brace impressions?

For now all I can say is that it fits well, I very happy with the design and that with all the reacher I did I feel that it will work very well. Two people at this point have them but both cars are in the build phase. Three more are currently being built and two are going to guys from this forum and the link fourm. One of them roadraces so I hope to get feedback under racing condtion soon.

Is the brace attached in a neutral position or is there some preload?

sent from my Galaxy S while street racing and doing awd burnouts

The car should be on the ground under full weight.

Kevin

My strut tower brace, brace definitely doesn't flex :) 1g but the same idea.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

What happened to the weights and pictures of the brace are they steel pipes, they turned out real nice.

Did the car that was going to road race ever give a feed back?

He is still building the car. Actually I should say they since there are three set that people have. All are in build limbo.

On the weight. They weigh in at 2.3 lbs per side on the crappy harbor freight scale my friend had. Not super light . Not super heavy. I'm happy with the design overall. I really hope to get a jig built before the new year but tis the season to have to do other things. I have all the materials. I just need to find the time.

Kevin

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back