The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

1G Eclipse Talon 6g72tt AWD Swap (pics added)

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mky101

10+ Year Contributor
Sep 16, 2009
rome, New_York
Hello fellow DSMers this is Chuck T of Hardcore Hotrods here to show you better pictures at different angles. In an effort to show you the different problems that need to be solved in this swap if you consider doing this yourself. I look forward to tackling these problems and completing this swap.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

As you can see this engine fills the entire engine bay.

In this picture you can see the motor mount and turbo outlet interference.

The heater core tubes interfer with the rear turbo but turbo clears the firewall with enough space.

The left transmission is a jdm 6g72 n/a AWD and the right is a 4g63 AWD turbo transmission.

The left transmission in this pic is a 4g63 AWD turbo and the right transmission is a 6g72 n/a AWD.

The top intermediate shaft came with the 6g72 n/a AWD transmission. The bottom intermediate shaft came from a 4g63 AWD turbo transmission. The top transfer case came with the 6g72 n/a AWD transmission. The bottom is from a 4g63 AWD turbo transmission. Intermediate shafts and axles have the same splines although the V6 shaft appears to be slightly shorter and the carrier bearing brackets are different. The transfer cases are identical.

I provided these pictures because I couldn't find any pictures of a 3.0L 6g72tt in either a 1G or 2G car. I researched this swap for 6 months. It took me 6 additional months to get the right deal on the engine and transmission from ebay.

The first reason I started this thread was because there seemed to be a great interest in this swap. My last thread on this topic recieved 1900 views in 3 days. Please enjoy the pictures because I could not find any pictures at all of this motor in a 1G or 2G. These pictures detail all the problems I've encountered so far.

The second reason I started this thread is to find out who else has done this engine swap into a 1G or 2G Eclipse/Talon/Laser AWD chassis.

The engine swap I am asking about is the 3.0L 6g72tt V6 from a 3000GT VR-4 , GTO or Stealth installed with the AWD transmission.

+1 on the new start :thumb:, good luck with the build. any way of using a frame straigtener to push the cowl back some?

hehe, im glad to see my old dsm being put to a good project....looks good Chuck T even though i did just see it like 5hrs ago, well hey man good luck with the build and i hope to see this thing on the road come next summer!!!!!:thumb:

I've had a twin turbo dummy block/trans in a 2g for like 6 months now LOL. Same trans and everything. Your going to run into trouble with gear ratios in that trans as they are meant for a 2g so look into that. Otherwise, it looks good.

The 2g is a little tighter in the engine bay, but it does fit.. The rear turbine housing basically rests on the injector resistor pack, and the fuel return line. The fuel line needs to be modded anyways due to the location of the return fitting on the 6g so thats no big deal.

The rear intercooler pipe needs to be modded, along with relocating the brake fluid reservoir. Otherwise it's looking like a pretty straight forward swap.

I wish I had more time and a shop I could work on this more often. I'm using a 94 4bolt motor with stock twins, the 94 wiring harness and ecu, and custom making brackets to use the dsm power steering pump, location and lines, as well as a dsm alternator to relieve some wiring issues. I wish I could comment more on the 1g issues.

That non turbo transmission is not going to last very long. I have extensive experience in the 3000gt/stealth world. The people that turbo their non turbo cars get very litttle life out of their n/t transmissions. Even though that is the n/t awd trans, that wasn't an available option in the US, it has the same basic gearset dimensions of the fwd trans in the us n/t cars. To me the best part of doing this swap would be using the indestructable getrag trans in a dsm. I know it's easier to use the n/t trans because of the dsm trans parts interchange, you can match the final ratio of the 6g72 trans to the dsm rear end. Good luck, and please complete the swap to provide info to others.

Very cool. I never knew how similar the transmissions and transfer cases were between the DSM and the 3000GT.

Keep up the good work. :thumb:

The dsm trans is similar to the n/t 3000gt transmission. The turbo awd transmission from a 3000gt vr4 is a getrag unit, that has seen 1200+ ft/lbs on the stock gearset. Here is a 3000gtvr4 3rd next to a dsm/non turbo 3000gt awd 3rd gear.

Thats a massive difference... Why are the gears cut opposite of one another?

This is very interesting indeed! Can't wait to see how well this does performance wise, so keep us posted and keep at it!

I do understand there is a different internal final drive ratio. I have a 4g63 trans I plan taking the final drive from. I also understand this is a weaker transmission. I also have a getrag trans. Installing the getrag will require more mods axles driveshaft rear crossmember clearance. I wish I had a 2g car to do this to because crossmember interferance. The 1g has a cable drive speedo the 2g is electric. I plan on changing the tach and speedo. If you doing this swap to a 1g or 2g post your pictures or tech problems or solutions

I have two suggestions:
1) Convert twin turbo setup to single(i.e. small 16g)
2) Contact Shep for a tranny rebuilt or swap bellhousing.

WTF Why n the hell would you go through the trouble of converting to single for a tiny cute 16g?.. ina 6cyl..

35r minimum

I said, "i.e."...
I know a small 16g is too small for general purpose unless the quest for near-instant boost is the goal...The car isn't running yet, have to crawl before you can sprint. Just throwing a suggestion not making a valid statement.

Single turbo would, by far, be the best way of doing things. Right now I think its more of just getting it done and running to prove it can be done. Besides, if you can make stock twins work, with relatively minor mods, you get OEM reliability and a very low 12/high 11 second car, easy. More than enough for any daily driver.

My 94 3000gt i'm pulling my good motor from ran 12.8's with an exhaust and boost controller. Imagine a front mount, proper tuning, shorter gearing due to the 5speed and then shedding 600lbs off the weight of the car by switching chassis, all with OEM reliability, or lack there of LOL.

The n/t awd 3000gt trans is the exact same gearset as an awd dsm. The trans will hold the same amount on the 6g as the 4g. The only difference is the 6g is capable of so much more torque, which will cause some issues.

Also, the getrag transmission just won't fit in a 2g. It looks like it will in a 1g though. Not to mention the getrag has a whole pile of problems itself. Very weak transfercases and cracking bellhousings due to high load where the gearsets push away from each other being the most common. And lastly they are SUPER expensive to repair or replace. At the end of the day, the awd n/t 3000gt transmission is really the most realistic way to go.

Hmm I doubt that an 11 second pass could be had on the stock turbo's with that trans or at all, I have some experience with 3S's and I know that these are different cars and different weight. But still given the tiny injectors that you are going to run at like 150% injector duty cycle if you up the boost and you are going to see massive knock up top. I just do not think that would happen. For a lot of money get into the dr750's or something similar, I believe they have titanium wheels on them they spool so fast and are still td04, in fact any of the dr line of turbos would do well for a quick upgrade as long as you stay td04. Just my thoughts and yah almost all the trans suck, they have very weak synchros and are very expensive, if you plan to bring this thing to the track you are going to go through a couple until you get one rebuilt like new or a better one. As far as single turbo goes I have seen one with a td06 20g it was a real quick car. I don't know if you've thought about it but running ethanol on these engines is very doable, and they throw down a lot more power. Just my thoughts even if you read it all thing looks great I love it.

Just to start this tread back up.. 11s passes can be made on 9b's. Im 100 percent sure of that since STM just set the record at 11.97 in there stealth. 3,800lb car w/o driver vs 3,000lb car w/o driver.. Do the math. Stealths break transfer cases and bell houses because they are huge long boats that produce a ton a flex in the chassis. I think this is an awesome idea. I want updates! =D

Winter is almost here. Things are starting to slow down. As soon as I have some progress I will post some new pictures. I bought metal to make motor mounts. Good things coming soon.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back