The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
Please Support ExtremePSI

2G Eclipse LS swap?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Close2insane

Probationary Member
Aug 1, 2022
Dysart, Iowa
i was wondering if anyone has ever ls swapped a 1997 mitsubuishi eclipse and wanted to know if there is a list to follow. this is my first time but my trans went bad and my engine almost is

The way to do massive projects like this is to have the car and engine in front of you and figure out what needs to be cut, moved, welded and changed to make it fit. Converting a FWD-based car to RWD is not for amateurs, and you’re asking for an extremely expensive and complex solution to a cheap problem.

And do you know what engine that is? Any info helps as I am very new to this. Thank you

It's some thing that was posted on my Facebook last week.

Here it is

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Once you past the the front end fab and floor , firewall the rear is easy with a volk rear subframe accommodating a newer ford rear diff.

And do you know what engine that is? Any info helps as I am very new to this. Thank you
Dude are you serious with yourself? It's a LS. Exactly what you're asking about and suggesting what you're going to do.

People that do projects like that, don't make threads like this. They don't need a list, they're not 'very new', they don't ask what engine is that when shown a picture of it done. You're like a guy asking how to play Hendrix behind your head but don't know how to hold a guitar.

This swap will never ever ever happen. What will happen is OPs account will go dormant, and forever abandoned very soon. When people say 'toonerz', this is the shit they're referring to.

I know it is but I am getting help from an older mechanic and I just had a couple questions. Thank you for the help!

Let me put it like this. You are swapping an engine from a rear drive car that's mounted longitudinally, longways, to a car that has a transverse, sideways, mounted engine.

Kiss the AWD goodbye, which also means basically kiss the entire front suspension goodbye too. You are going to have to custom fabricate everything in the front end.

You may have a big enough tunnel to fit the driveshaft, you will not have a big enough tunnel for the transmission, so you'll have to fabricate that too. Doing that will definitely interfere with the firewall and maybe the dash, or the cowl. If it does more fabrication.

You'll need a custom driveshaft because there is no way an eclipse is the same length as a Camaro or Corvette.

To the back you'll need a new rear end since you can't use the AWD one anymore. So now kiss the rear suspension goodbye too. Again we are putting a gm rear end into a Mitsubishi so you're again probably custom fabricating the entire rear suspension too.

Custom axles because again there is no way the eclipse is the same width as a Camaro or Corvette.

That just gets everything bolted in and I probably missed a bunch of stuff.

Now you need to run electrical, plumb it, get an exhaust put on it, get all of the accessories to bolt up in a engine bay that is designed for much smaller engine facing a completely different direction. You will probably need custom mounting brackets. If you like luxuries like power steering and ac that is.

That's just 10 minutes off the top of my head, I am sure I missed a ton of stuff and with swaps there is always something weird that turns up you didn't plan for.

Not trying to be an ass but just convey the magnitude of something like this. It's far from easy, it is not for an amateur or even an old mechanic, unless that old mechanic has built a few custom race cars because that's basically what you are doing. It's not something you can really do in your driveway over a couple weekends.

Also even if you did all the work yourself it would still take deep deep pockets.

It's fine to dream don't give up on it if you want to just know it's going to take a lot of time, a lot of money and a lot of skill to do. Just about anything can be done with enough of those three.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back