The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

eBay Auto Shifter - Install/Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This box is so conveniently packaged, it would make no sense to build one yourself and only save $20.

Thats what i was thinking.

Im glad to see a cheap alternative to the tcugo or ipt box too. This makes me a happy a/t camper.

So no one has experienced any ill effects because of this yet?

i would rather stick w/ IPT's push button or make my own push button style for cheaper. less mistakes for throwing it in reverse. and how many of u guys are putting this in a stock trans? i only read of one or two guys who actually have a shift kit, end clutches and possibly a stall.

by the time track season rolls around i hope to have a restalled stock, end clutches, and shift kit in. As well as new fluid and manual valve and filter. I don't know if this will be enough in a car thats got 140k on it, but it's better than nothing and i definitely don't have the cash for a rebuild yet.

Did any one have any problems getting the part from this person. My brother has been getting the runaround with the guy. We are going on two weeks and still no tracking #. Guy keep saying he shipped but ups returned it to him. Now he send up a tracking # that is no good We are going on 2.5 weeks of this shit with this person.

I had a very minimal delay but everything came just as he said. I just need install instructions. He made some changes and needs to update the install guide and said he'd get it to me after the edit. When did you get the UPS#. If you got it today it won't register until after at least 5pm EST. Sometimes UPS tracking takes even longer. You also might consider something like 3 days for assembly, 3 days transit, refusal for wrong address, 3 days return transit = 9 days right there. It's definitely a possibility.

As for my tranny, Shift Kit + End Clutch kit.

I had a very minimal delay but everything came just as he said. I just need install instructions. He made some changes and needs to update the install guide and said he'd get it to me after the edit. When did you get the UPS#. If you got it today it won't register until after at least 5pm EST. Sometimes UPS tracking takes even longer. You also might consider something like 3 days for assembly, 3 days transit, refusal for wrong address, 3 days return transit = 9 days right there. It's definitely a possibility.

As for my tranny, Shift Kit + End Clutch kit.

Tracking # was sent to up monday of last week

Which is the better option? Doing the RMT myself, or picking up this box of wonderment?they'd both be cheap, one would just be MUUUCH less hastle.

You answered your own question. ;)

And I said I'm glad I got it cheap when I did because I told the guy he could easily sell these kits for $100 but he is trying to get the word out first.

clipise said:
i would rather stick w/ IPT's push button or make my own push button style for cheaper. less mistakes for throwing it in reverse. and how many of u guys are putting this in a stock trans? i only read of one or two guys who actually have a shift kit, end clutches and possibly a stall.

Eh? You have to depress the button to put it in reverse. And nobody should be installing this thing on a stock a/t, imo.

You answered your own question. ;)
Eh? You have to depress the button to put it in reverse. And nobody should be installing this thing on a stock a/t, imo.

true , but if u scroll up, there has already been a case of someone throwing it in reverse. LOL. im still a little funny about this product. personally, i would rather buy something proven.

There's also been people who park their cars in neutral on hills only to see it roll down it. People need to take responsibility for carelessness.

Proven? Because it has a logo on it and costs 5x as much it's somehow better? The RMT mod is already proven over several years, and btw the IPT kit uses the RMT mod. You can do the RMT mod yourself, but hey if you want to spend hundreds on something that probably cost IPT $50 to build, more power to you.

Touche, thats my biggest sell on this thing.

It's based off of everything else, and there's threds on this back to early 2005. I'm going this way asap. It sounds like WAAAY too much fun.

(Only installed of course after some tranny mods.)

Would you guys recommend a cooler with this, or is the stock cooler fine?

Proven? Because it has a logo on it and costs 5x as much it's somehow better? The RMT mod is already proven over several years, and btw the IPT kit uses the RMT mod. You can do the RMT mod yourself, but hey if you want to spend hundreds on something that probably cost IPT $50 to build, more power to you.

i never said it a product is better by having a "logo" on it. i feel the IPT shifter is proven to me, by eric at AMS who had it and also mark at AMS. i never heard a complaint from ether of them, and my other friends who have it. thats how its proven to me. if u would of read my post before of me making my own or buying it, u would of known im not knocking the product.
im sorry, i would rather spend the extra cash on a known and proven product that a reputable shop, then some guy in his garage using ebay buyers as his personal lab rats. im not just about this product in general, but anything u would depend on for ## car.

i would go w/ a aftermarket cooler. it would help u out and keep the trans fluid alot cooler for u after the abuse u would put the trans through after havbing fun w/ ## new mod.:p

i, personally, would get the shift it, end clutches, trans cooler and the converter before doing this mod. right now, i got all of those, so im in the market for this similar product.

i never said it a product is better by having a "logo" on it. i feel the IPT shifter is proven to me, by eric at AMS who had it and also mark at AMS. i never heard a complaint from ether of them, and my other friends who have it. thats how its proven to me. if u would of read my post before of me making my own or buying it, u would of known im not knocking the product.
im sorry, i would rather spend the extra cash on a known and proven product that a reputable shop, then some guy in his garage using ebay buyers as his personal lab rats. im not just about this product in general, but anything u would depend on for ## car.

This is a very simple device and the components are basically some relays, resistor, and a switch. There are 6 wires that need to be connected to the tcu by the person installing. I don't see this as rocket science at all and no different than wiring a safc or dsmlink. The reason I find this guy's package so appealing is it saves me the trouble of sourcing the right components myself and doesn't cost a whole lot for the convenience.

If an rmt mod works for IPT's device, for DIY kits, or this ebay one, they all work the by the same principle. The only way you could screw this up is wiring it wrong. Other than that, no vendor is responsible for you messing up your tranny during install or use, so the advantage is? After it is installed correctly, it either works or does not work. What happens later is all your responsibility for abusing the tranny.

Of course, your argument is also that of those who still believe it's worth spending $800 on a brand name fmic, despite 1600 posts testifying a low tech product like SS autochrome's fmic is a quality piece.

I have two coolers in series, an aftermarket tube and fine and the stock bar and plate. Heat kills transmissions, so I definately believe in extra cooling if you're going to be extra hard on it.

This may sound like a stupid question...but can someone who has this make a short video clip of them using it? I'm sure everyone here who is interested would much appreciate it...Anyone?

I will if no one else does by friday. I was going to install mine today but lacked the time.

Cool, that would be awesome. Just a maybe 30 sec to 1 min clip showing it in the car, and then a short drive going through all the shifts would be awesome. Be sure to also show the tach so we can get a feel for how "instant" they are...

I would appreciate that too actually. I'd like to see this thing in action.

I will say though, i'm a llittle dissapointed i can't just slap this on my stock tranny. Well, i'm sure i could but at what cost.

I'm going to wait till i have end clutches, shift kit, new fluid, new filter, new valve, and a cooler. Which is a lot of mods before this fun 60$ piece. :(

I'm sure your install it without negative effects if you didn't use it abusively. I just ordered my shift kit, manual valve, and pan gasket and filter kit yesterday. Tomorrow I'm ordering my 19,000 trans cooler, and end clutch kit. Then, once I get all that in, I MIGHT think about getting this. Im a little worried about banging through gears that were meant to smoothly transition to eachother. That's why I would like to see it in action in a video. Oh, did anyone else see the new design of the box?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/e...Sell_LogicX&refwidgettype=cross_promot_widget

Son of a...nvm, more I look at it I like my black box instead LOL. Btw, I always thought crisp shifts were healthy shifts. The crisper the better.

You have one? Are you up for the challenge of making a video for us?:sneaky: But if your busy that's cool to...someone on here has got to make one though.:cool:

I plan on running this with my stock transmission @ 109,5xx miles. Durability testing, if you will ... I'm out to prove how far a stock A/T can go.

With the spirited driving I do, upshifting and downshifting occurs a LOT, so expect some vids from me soon showcasing my transmission abuse. :thumb:

I plan on running this with my stock transmission @ 109,5xx miles. Durability testing, if you will ... I'm out to prove how far a stock A/T can go.

With the spirited driving I do, upshifting and downshifting occurs a LOT, so expect some vids from me soon showcasing my transmission abuse. :thumb:

I got my car with 118,222... Now it has 120k... Transmission is still running like new. No problems ever. My brother was the previous owner. He got it at 110 k and he had no problems. I guess that's what happens when the owner before my brother was the original owner, and was 40 years old, never raced it, and treated it like a son.:cool:

The only reason I'm doing the transmission mods is because I would like to see some performance gain from the automatic. I plan on installing a new cooler, manual valve, new fluid, new pan gasket and filter kit, new end clutch kit, and the shift kit. I plan on installing that a few weeks into march, and then taking it to the track, which, BY THE WAY, will be the cars first time to any track ever.

Hopefully, this shifter mod will make for a little more fun in an automatic, although my automatic is fun as it is.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back