The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

eBay Auto Shifter - Install/Review

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No problems with mine so far, been a few months now. Not much use for it on a dd though. This mod works great but would mostly be useful for the track.

The best thing that happened was that even with the mod switched off, shifting response got faster for some reason compared to stock. I prefer that to the balls to the wall fast shifting of the RMT.

hey guys, been following this thread for a while now...

seems like the seller is not selling these anymore. can anyone vouch? and if so, can someone that has it already make a "duplicate" for the others on the site? take some photos of the inside of the box, mainly the wiring and connections... considering this is just 2 relays and the such.

or does anyone have one for sale?

I have also read through this thread and some have compared it to the $500 Ipt shift box. Now with that said the IPT shift box can be use as a stand alone trans controller. Meaning if you have a foobarred tcu you can run there box and do away with your tcu as I was told by John at IPT. Can you do the same with this box? If so does anyone have the schematics on building one of these if the guy is no longer sellling them?

Meaning if you have a foobarred tcu

First of all, it's FUBARed... :D Sorry, it just bothered me for some reason.

Can you do the same with this box?

No, this will NOT act as a stand alone unit with no TCU, it does not actually control the shift solenoids in the valve body like the IPT box. This box simply increases shift pressure during shifts to an incredible level, and allows you to manually shift, such that "L" is first gear, and "D" is 3rd gear...No matter what.

does anyone have the schematics on building one of these if the guy is no longer sellling them?

This "guy" who was selling them was simply building an idea that had already been created. It was convenient because you didn't have to gather all of the components, and you just had to wire it in. If you wish to make you own, here is the schematics/instructions.

http://www.rmtmods.ca/manual shift.htm

i got all the parts to make one...now let me decipher that schematic. can someone that owns one on a 2g take some photos? those instuctions are for 1g (w/ econ. switch). i am not able to find the NEW 2g instructions. for a 2g, can we just use any 2 wire toggle switch?

I just installed this thing and it is AWESOME!!! Install took less than an hour and the box does everything it's supposed to. It gives you control of shift points and the shifts are neck-breaking quick. :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

so WHERE can i get one of these since ebay doesn't have them ????????????

Can YOU be the one who finally makes a good video demonstration of this box?

I don't have a camera. Why do you guys want to see a video? You shift from L-2, 2-D, D-OD and the thing shifts instantly, use your imagination LOL . It works great!

Why is it "not an option" (proper english please by the way)?

I just want to see how quick things are with it and how wicked the car can really be if we can finally select the shift points manual shifting.

My only problem with that one though, is the push button style. You can't do it blind really. There's not a display or a one button up and one down. It's for each gear, which really, is the same as this mod.

Personally, i just can't see spending the 500 or so bucks on it.

My only problem with that one though, is the push button style. You can't do it blind really. There's not a display or a one button up and one down. It's for each gear, which really, is the same as this mod.

Personally, i just can't see spending the 500 or so bucks on it.

How do you figure that you can't shift it blind? Do you think that when people who own the shifter, stare at it while they race and/or daily drive their car? With this shifter you can easily use it as a daily driver. When you are in first gear the first button is pushed down. When you shift to second, the first button pops up when you push the second button down. It is not rocket science to use the IPT shifter.
I would rather use the IPT shifter because it is proven. How is it proven? Eric at AMS used it before he parted out his car. Now Scott at AMS uses it in his talon that runs 9's. Martin at AMS uses it in his galant. My friend also has it in his car. Now all of these guys love the shifter. I have personally rode and drove a car that has it. I was actually interested in the "ebay"shifter. Everyone keeps saying how great it is, but they can't back it up.

You may not see a point in spending $500 or so on it, but I do. How many of you guys actually went to the track and raced with it? All you guys keep saying is how you drive up and down the street. Never once mentioned about useing at the track. I can actually see messing up the shifting on the "ebay" shifter, rather then the IPT one.

CLIPISE: I completely agree. I need to have trust in something I'm putting on my transmission. I KNOW that IPT would not offer this product if they did not put research and testing into it to make sure the product is safe. If something they sell messes up, they lose their reputation. If the RMT box messes up, the guy on eBay doesn't care.

I trust IPT, and trust the opinion of Scott and Eric at AMS.

guys, i have the 2 relays wired up, and the 3.3ohm resistors. can someone check over my wiring? anyone local in the DC area? pm me and i will send you photos...

For $500 I think it should be a better layout than the push button setup.

For $500 I think it should be a better layout than the push button setup.

It's an okay setup for me. I understand it could be a lot cooler if were something else, but...Your paying for R&D that went into it, and a trustworthy product. Rumor was that they were going to re design it to be a gated 4 speed shifter, but that never happened.

How do you figure that you can't shift it blind? Do you think that when people who own the shifter, stare at it while they race and/or daily drive their car? With this shifter you can easily use it as a daily driver. When you are in first gear the first button is pushed down. When you shift to second, the first button pops up when you push the second button down. It is not rocket science to use the IPT shifter.
I would rather use the IPT shifter because it is proven. How is it proven? Eric at AMS used it before he parted out his car. Now Scott at AMS uses it in his talon that runs 9's. Martin at AMS uses it in his galant. My friend also has it in his car. Now all of these guys love the shifter. I have personally rode and drove a car that has it. I was actually interested in the "ebay"shifter. Everyone keeps saying how great it is, but they can't back it up.

You may not see a point in spending $500 or so on it, but I do. How many of you guys actually went to the track and raced with it? All you guys keep saying is how you drive up and down the street. Never once mentioned about useing at the track. I can actually see messing up the shifting on the "ebay" shifter, rather then the IPT one.

Wow, calm down man. I'm just saying manual shifting, or paddle shifting (like the old tcugo) is a much better way. What happens if you go to slam 3rd, and miss because of a fat finger and slam 1st? I just don't like the design is all. I'm by NO MEANS saying it's a bad product. IPT is amazing with everything they do and produce, i just wish the design layout for the buttons was a little different. Like one button for up, and one for down.

Wow, calm down man. I'm just saying manual shifting, or paddle shifting (like the old tcugo) is a much better way. What happens if you go to slam 3rd, and miss because of a fat finger and slam 1st? I just don't like the design is all. I'm by NO MEANS saying it's a bad product. IPT is amazing with everything they do and produce, i just wish the design layout for the buttons was a little different. Like one button for up, and one for down.

I'm so sorry if I came off like I was a d*ck head. I didn't know I came off like that. I do agree that paddle shifting from IPT would be better. I 100% agree with you on that.

Once again, sorry for coming off like that and making it seem like you hated IPT.

:D

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back