The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

DSMunknown's Super Stealth Muffler & Axle-Back Exhaust System

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anthony, that came out awesome. Anyone who has lived in MA with a loud exhaust understands why all of that effort was put into that. I love it. The only thing missing is DB readings using SAE standard test. It just so happens that I have a meter. :) Let's meet up at some point and take some readings?

I've got some interesting ideas for the mightymax exhaust that I can't wait to try as well. As soon as this season is over and the RWD gets a rest I'm all over it.

Pretty similar to the muffler that I have purchased and installed on the galant. Here is an idea of what it looks like with a cell phone picture...

In these pictures the muffler isn't fully mounted properly and hangs low but has been recently fixed.

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

Sound quality isn't great with the cell phone, but you get the idea...
<embed width="448" height="361" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" src="http://i3.photobucket.com/player.swf?file=http://vid3.photobucket.com/albums/y85/1glaserturbo/Car%20Stuff/Cams_VR4.flv">

You sure do like to slam me a lot.:cry: I think that my multiple threads will be invaluable for countless generations due to the specific nature of each (rather than lumping it all into one), so there! But you're right about be being such a noob.

;)

The way you hyped it up, I just had to check out the thread. It turned out great, but I prefer the chrome tip look myself. Different strokes...

Aside from my G-Power cost, changing mine to what it is now cost an extra $300. The Magnaflow was $100 with shipping, tips were $100 shipped, welding was $75 including scrap for the hangar tab on the back. Then there was some BBQ paint and miscellaneous sand paper, and cutoff and flapwheel discs for the grinder. I did all the cutting/fitment myself, and if I got paid by the hour, it'd've cost a LOT more than $300 :p. So I'm not sure how much it stacks up cost-wise to yours if I had found someone to do the cutting/fitment part.

Anyway, hope it keeps the cops off your back! Good work!

As for anyone else doing this, keep in mind that the 2.12" number is probably a bit small from a theoretical standpoint due to skin friction on the inside walls of two tubes being larger than for one, larger tube of equal area (the 2.12" dual outlet tips will flow less than one 3" tip, because there's more surface area on the inside of the two smaller tubes than the one larger tube). Nobody crunched the numbers to see if it would make a lick of difference in our application, but FYI nevertheless. Maybe something can be found online to calculate the difference. There's a thread about the math, and I think the equation is accreditted to Prandtl, so you might find it searching with that term. Just want to keep that tidbit involved, since this 2.12" number is floating around now with my name associated with it.:)

I actually like the "stock appearing" look of having the small tips inside the larger (original Vibrant) ones. It gives it that "European" feel, and looks much like the stock muffler:

Looks good Anthony! :thumb: I want to hit the lottery and send my entire car to JNZ to be powdercoated.

i want to know how the magnaflow with the double tips sound, i like how it looks close to stock but does it sound good?

I have the dual tip magnaflow muffler and it sounds great. Plus, stealth is a must here in Cali.

Stock looking? 10/10
Secret custom? 10/10
Nonturbo looking? 10/10
Quality? 10/10
Personally, I dont like it. I love the way it looks man, props for that. But I would have had those stock chromies put on, instead of the black ones. Overall, I commend you dude. Props.

The cops in this state are absolute exhaust nazis, and the law is written such that we have absolutely zero recourse if we get tickted with a chapter 90/16 violation. And we pay for it, hundred of dollars per year in insurance surcharges for 6 years. And they count toward violations that lead to losing your license. That's right, get a 5 exhaust tickets in a ~3 year period and you will lose your license, which then means your job, and probably your gf. :D

There's a lot at stake here. For the intelligent "tuner" in MA exhaust selection has nothing to do with personal taste or preference. Plenty of people in MA still try to get away with loud exhausts, but everyone will see it my way within two years, especially with the new drag racing laws that recently went on the books (don't even have to be drag racing to get charged with it, automatic loss of license), but I won't even get into that now.

As Kevin has said before...

95GSXracer said:
The cops [in MA] are far too busy protecting the public from loud exhausts to protect people from thieves, murderers, and illegal immigrants.

Originally Posted by 95GSXracer
The cops [in MA] are far too busy protecting the public from loud exhausts to protect people from thieves, murderers, and illegal immigrants.

Thats funny, we have those same cops up here :rolleyes:

Not to get off topic but we have a "street racing" law already here. 50km (or approx 31mph for you US people) over the speed limit & its considered "street racing" (even if your the only one on the road). On the spot car impounded for 7 days, loss of license for 7 days, fine of $2000-5000 (what ever the cop feels like that day) & then ofcourse the towing/impound fee's when you pick your car up a day later. Sounds pretty fair to me, we all know cops never make mistakes :rolleyes:

Appears to be a nice looking quality piece. The coating will really help the exhaust hold up to the elements. You utilized nice thick rubber hangars that should actually last too.

The gloss black looks good to me. Just gives the pipe a kickass look. Loving the dual tip action.

As an addendum to what I had stated in the first post, I suppose one could purchase the muffler that Dan bought (part number 1147) and add on a Y tip instead, or any muffler for that matter. Here are a few examples for your viewing pleasure.

Tip Example 1
Tip Example 2
Tip Example 3
Tip Example 4
Tip Example 5

Just make sure the piece you choose is appropriate for your application.

Damn I love the stock look on the eclipse. But on the talon I like my can ( 2.5 to 4 ), with the baffle in it it's not to loud at all. With it out I'd probally get a ticket in MA LOL.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back