The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support STM Tuned

My New "Stock/Stealth" looking Muffler

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

looks good, I figured it out now. Ill be getting probably the ultra quiet resonator, but in 3in, where my cat used to be, then Ill get the 24in resonator if it fits (got to measure). Did you notice any performance problems with the louvered type resonator? Or did it seem the same? I dont want to risk any HP, so I was planning on getting the perforated type resonator.

Also is it quiet like stockish or what? Post a vid clip of this new setup when you can. :)

Magnaflow 12198 with AeroExhaust ST2535 weld-on tips.

EDIT: And two days of learning how to use a hand grinder.:p

I was looking at Magnaflow's site for that part # you gave me, this would work also wouldn't it

MagnaFlow Performance Exhaust

overall length is the same, has 3" inlet, but this has smaller dual tip outlets at 2.25" which would make for being able to get smaller tips looking even more stock. I believe it is also cheaper as well.

Interested in your thoughts on that Mack, I just got the SS Auto 2g awd 3" turboback also installed
http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/art...boback-downpipe-catback-exhaust-new-post.html
it's my daily, and i a feeling a bit paranoid now.

I've also got the Vibrant Stealth muffler in the house. Will be taking it to a local shop (ESP) and then sending it to JNZ to have the tips and piping match the black coating. I got this one, with the three inch inlet and dual three inch outlet. Will be having the shop reduce the tips to 2.25 inches. It's gonna look sick. :)

I hope Mack did his math right.

I got a 3" turbo back with magnaflow catalitic and NO resonators...i was thinking of buying that same exact muffler (Vibrant stealth) but i'm not sure how loud it is...can you post a Vid or/and pics if you can. I want to get it before inspection is due. My Megan Muffler is stupid loud:toobad:...I'm growing out of this stage now.:coy:Thanks!

There was a link on page 2, I think. Second-don't order the single 3"in and dual 2.5" out. It is actually 3' inlet and 2/dual/ 2" outlets. At least this is the inner diameter. It is a very restrictve in my opinion. I just got that muffler and returned it for a 3.5" inlet and 3.5" outlet/single tips. Part # 1153. Should be her by wednesday, next week/12-17-08/. I'll let you know.

I even spoke with TECH person from Magnaflow and he said:
- for a turbo car 3" in- 3" out at least... He didn't recommend single 3" in and any kind of dual outlet for a turbo car. Ther is transistion and a little turbulence.

So by far the best muffler/ that is going to make most power/ on a street car with full exhaust system is single tip IN and OUT starting from 3" and up... Thanks.

There was a link on page 2, I think. Second-don't order the single 3"in and dual 2.5" out. It is actually 3' inlet and 2/dual/ 2" outlets. At least this is the inner diameter. It is a very restrictve in my opinion. I just got that muffler and returned it for a 3.5" inlet and 3.5" outlet/single tips. Part # 1153. Should be her by wednesday, next week/12-17-08/. I'll let you know.

- for a turbo car 3" in- 3" out at least... He didn't recommend single 3" in and any kind of dual outlet for a turbo car. Ther is transistion and a little turbulence.

So by far the best muffler/ that is going to make most power/ on a street car with full exhaust system is single tip IN and OUT starting from 3" and up... Thanks.

You returned it for a 3.5" inlet? You can weld 3.5" into a 3" pipe?

Also that is a reason why I didnt buy 2.5" dual outlets, I actually have 3.5" dual outlets, mine a Vibrant Turbo series muffler.

OK Flow is my second worry here, my biggest concern right now is Loudness, My Megan turbo muffler which is 3" inlet and is 3" piping all the way...Yeah it does flow a lot better but is damn loud i need something that can flow but i can still hear my girlfriend when she talks to me LOL. I like that Vibrant Stealth Muffler (dual tip) 3" inlet...is that going to affect the flow on my system?? Thanks!

You returned it for a 3.5" inlet? You can weld 3.5" into a 3" pipe?

Also that is a reason why I didnt buy 2.5" dual outlets, I actually have 3.5" dual outlets, mine a Vibrant Turbo series muffler.

I will probably buy one of these transitions short pieces from 3'' to 3.5", or something like that. And I didn't like the look of single tip 3"- it seems a little tiny, so I thoght 3.5" would look better. They should've made the tips a little larger. I am not sure, if they have dual 3.5 " outlets, cause most of these standard /universal mufflers are oval and their size is 5x9x15. And 9" being its widht, so if you have 2 dual 3.5", that equals 7'' and this in most cases is a little too much. You may have to need to trim the bumper and a lot of people with newer, or nice looking cars don't like to do that.

---4g63dsm1 I understand your concern, but having a turbo car you must be concerned about flow too. My car has built motor and head full 3" v-band from the turbo, big cams, no cat and I don't find it loud at all. The only reason I am doing this is first to be less visible and harassed by cops, and second - it became like a freaking hobby. I have to buy something for the car every once in a while, even thogh is absolutely complete.

Anyways, to make your car quieter you have to buy 2 resonators. The first one mght be like the one posted in pictures above. The second one, if you dont have enough room you can use this race muffler:
Race Muffler - 5" Long Stainless Steel Race Muffler

It is the same company as someone posted the link above. I highly recommend them. They are very knowledgable and have most of the items in stock, not to mention theri prices are really goog. The past week or so, I've been looking for these Vibrant flat black mufflers and these guys at Verocious are by far the best.

On the other hand my 3.5" flat black muffler, part # 1153 is on its way and I should have it installed by next sunday/week from now/. I'll let you know, how loud it is???

I see andy, although I didnt need to cut bumper or modify anything for my muffler, mine fits perfectly and cops think it is "stock" LOL.

If your looking for quiet check out my thread: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bolt-tech/311869-my-journey-quiet-3in-exhaust-vids-pics.html

Second page shows comparisons of before and after. I have 3 resonators perforated, 1 of them is 5" round magnaflow which did the trick. My muffler with dual 3.5" tips also is perforated oval all through, tips are even perforated.

I see andy, although I didnt need to cut bumper or modify anything for my muffler, mine fits perfectly and cops think it is "stock" LOL.

If your looking for quiet check out my thread: http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bolt-tech/311869-my-journey-quiet-3in-exhaust-vids-pics.html

Second page shows comparisons of before and after. I have 3 resonators perforated, 1 of them is 5" round magnaflow which did the trick. My muffler with dual 3.5" tips also is perforated oval all through, tips are even perforated.

you dont have pics of the final job do you? with the new resonators in place.. i m curious to see where you ended up welding the resonator. im going to need to put a cat on which i already have, and i read you were planning to put the resonator after the flex. i cannot have it intefere with the cat location.

I don't care about quiet, just was bored and wanted to change something.
And yes, you did excellent job on your car, it is very quiet.

The second part of my post was for 4g63dsm1. Thanks though

and RedTurboEclipse, I didnt put resonator after flex, I put it at the end of downpipe, downpipe is real long, I believe a cat can fit in place after the flex then resonator. I forgot to take pic yesturday when my car was jacked damn LOL. Ill see if I can take a pic though.

The second part of my post was for 4g63dsm1. Thanks though

and RedTurboEclipse, I didnt put resonator after flex, I put it at the end of downpipe, downpipe is real long, I believe a cat can fit in place after the flex then resonator. I forgot to take pic yesturday when my car was jacked damn LOL. Ill see if I can take a pic though.

im trying to put the cat like stock location right before start of the catback, and perhaps put the resonator right after the flex, but if fitment is a concern, will it be a problem with the cat closer to the flex than its usual location?

yes can't wait for the pic :)

was it you who said at first the resonators on the ssac catback were fake, but then later on said they are actually legit resonators, so those 2 combined with the one you got put in and the new muffler made your car sound like the vid? because that is quiet, perhaps just a new muffler and a cat will be enough

im trying to put the cat like stock location right before start of the catback, and perhaps put the resonator right after the flex, but if fitment is a concern, will it be a problem with the cat closer to the flex than its usual location?

yes can't wait for the pic :)

was it you who said at first the resonators on the ssac catback were fake, but then later on said they are actually legit resonators, so those 2 combined with the one you got put in and the new muffler made your car sound like the vid? because that is quiet, perhaps just a new muffler and a cat will be enough

Yea you can do that too. Yea resonators supposedly are real on the SSAC, but I believe there probably half perforated like the muffler. In the future I will probably take that section out and make it straight through with a long vibrant resonator to make it more quiet. But for now it is good.

you can try to just change muffler and add cat and it would probably be fine. The muffler guy was telling me that 5" and higher diameter resonators make a real difference in sound, which is why I got 5" instead of the typical 4" resonators. 5" is the max you can fit under our car because I tried 6" but it is not possible to make it fit as it was huge LOL.

So Basically you can run a "Straight thru" muffler like an HKS, Apexi N1 or whichever and put 1 or 2 resonators and call it a day? I thought about getting the Apexi N1 with the 3" inlet but a couple of guys told me that it was going to be too loud, is this true...even if i put 2 resonators?:confused: My ideal Muffler is something that looks good and not being so damn loud. I like the Vibrant dual tips Stealth muffler but it sounds kinda loud...the only way to control the loudness will be with resonators which will bring the cost of $$$ even higher.

I'm going to take a guess & say the Apexi N1 muffler by itself isn't going to offer alot of noise reduction. While the actual N1 cat-back system is very quiet, I'm thinking most of the sound reduction is because of the resonator they use. Yes its great a reducing noise but its also great at reducing flow as well. If you look down the pipe at the actual inside of the resonator it necks down to maybe 2" internally (though I'd bet its even less). When I switched to my Vibrant custom stock looking system (2 of their 3" resonators & their 3" in dual 2.5" out muffler) I picked up a tonn of top end flow/power. The result with no other change (well after I reduced boost back so it was equal to where it was sitting pre new system) was 4-5 lb/min in airflow & hp & torque were both up 40-50 @ 7000 rpms.

4G63dsm1 said:
I got a 3" turbo back with magnaflow catalitic and NO resonators...i was thinking of buying that same exact muffler (Vibrant stealth) but i'm not sure how loud it is...can you post a Vid or/and pics if you can. I want to get it before inspection is due. My Megan Muffler is stupid loud:toobad:...I'm growing out of this stage now.:coy:Thanks!

Sorry, no vids. (Yet.) If you got something we can use Alex, you know how to get in touch. ;)

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/bol...stealth-muffler-axle-back-exhaust-system.html

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back