The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support ExtremePSI

DSMLink necessary?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hiimnotcool

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 23, 2008
Bremerton, Washington
Is DSMLink really necessary? Every single thread I search about these cars someone says one of the first things to get, after maintainence, is DSMLink. Would I need it if I have stage3 keydiver and SAFCII? I guess I am just asking because I am confused. Thanks for any replies!

No you don't really need it if you have a chip and AFC. The only real reason that people recommend Link is its ease of use, ability to control both fuel and timing, data log, and the fact that you can have up to 1000cc injectors while making them idle like stock, all in one package. But since you already have a chip programmed for a specific injector size, the AFC is just used to make fine tuned fuel adjustments. The downfall is that you cannot control engine timing with it and you have to have a separate logger for data logging.

Ryan

I dont know where you saw that your first upgrade after maintenance should be DSM Link, but that is definately incorrect.. some sort of fuel control (what you currently have) is something that you need.. but thats not even your FIRST upgrade after doing your related maintenance to have a healthy foundation to build off of. Actually following the upgrade paths on this site will put you in the right direction and are laid out sensibly IMHO. I hope we were able to dispel any confusion.....

In my opinion if you dont have a EMS and you want to do some good modding then yes dsmlink would be the best first mod. Then after that you can tune everything after that and be safe.

Since you have a keydriver chip than you dont need it. But you do want to know what is on the chip, like what timing curve, injector size and targe afr. Do you know what you chip was burned with?

I just know it was burnt for 740 cc injectors and 315uS deadtime. I bought the car with this modification and am just trying to understand it. It was also burned with Jeff O directly and he told me the burning specs. The only thing I've bought personally for the car was the SSAC Fmic, 255lph fuel pump, Aeromotive FPR, and ARP headstuds. I just want the car to be as reliable as possible (ha, yeah..i understand its a DSM).

So with the burn you have its pretty much just compensating for the injectors. If you look on there website or talk to him they can add alot of cool stuff like low custom timing maps for high HP on pump gas or high timing maps for e85 or race fuel.

You can pretty much all of dsmlinks features burned into the ecu, only problem is after that you cant change it. But you do have fuel control that will help to fine tune your car. So the ecu is pretty much just telling those 750's to act like 450's and thats nice since it wont affect your timing and you should beable to get away with some good boost. I would invest in a wbo2 for tuning.

I you already have the safc and the chipped ecu, then just get a data logger so you can see what the car is doing. The only downfall would be the inability to control timing

Here is the ultimate question. What do you plan to get out of this car? What are your goals? Do your goals justify spending the axtra 545 dollars for DSM Link? You see where I'm coming from. I agree DSM Link is a good tool from what I hear. However if you dont plan on going beyond what you currently have for your fuel management then that money could be spent elsewhere. Like spending some of it on that Wideband O2 Jay was referring to.

Power wise I'm looking for 400-450 whp, and running mid 11 1/4 miles. If I can get away with not having to buy DSMLink then I'd be happy with that. The chip seems to be working well right now, so I suppose I can't complain. I will look into the WB02 right now.

if you dont have a logger get that too and the wideband and you should be good to go. You already have the SAFCII so you have essentially what DSM Link would be doing for you.. however DSM Link will do it better... but for your goals you are fine with what you have no sense in spending 545 on dsmlink then a laptop, little overkill ... Because basically if you take your Keydiver chip, the SAFCII, the logger, and smash it all together and shoot it with steroids you have dsmlink. LOL.... Just my oppinion.. Hope we helped ya out.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back