The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

DSM link, swap 97 ecu with 95, will it work?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tatersail

15+ Year Contributor
Feb 23, 2006
Cape Cod, Massachusetts
I want to run DSM Link in my 97 GSX. My buddy has a 95 GSX, he is going to run a AFC-II. Can we just swap ECU's with no problems. Will there we a problem sense 97-up has CAS sensor and CPS and 95 has only CPS. If so do I need to rewire anything to make it function. Thanks

I know sense the 95-96 cars dont have a CAS sensor when you put a 95 Ecu in 97-up you need to invert the CAS signal. Which can be done with DSM Link. Also you need to switch ignition wire 1 with 2 and 3 with 4. So I understand how the 95 ecu work in a 97. But will my 97 work in my buddies 95. Will he have to swap the wires also and what about the CAS input the ECU wants. Do you just do the mod like when you swap a 1g motor in. RRE sells a harness for that correct correct.

Anyone, I need to know so I can order DSMLink if it will work. Thanks

Use the search button.
You need a 95 ecu socketed for dsmlink to work on any 2g. So yes it will work fine and its the only way you wil get dsmlink to work.

First off read what my question is before you give me a wise ass answer. Second of all the first rule on DSM Tuners is no telling someone to "use the Search button". And it is even worse when you dont read the question and look like a dumbass. I know you need a socketed 95 ecu for DSMLink in a 2g. That isnt what I asked. I want to know if the car the 95 Eprom Ecu came from can use my 97 Ecu with no problems. And what will we have to do like when you put a 95 ecu in 97 you need to swap wire 1 with 2 and 3 with 4 and invert the CAS signal. Does anything need to be done to make the 97 work in the 95.

I have no clue which wires must be switched but it has been discusssed many times before you so its on this forum somewhere, just take the time to search. I was not being a smartass. I was simply helping you because instead of waiting for somebody to answer your thread, you can search and find it on your own:)

You will not need to rewire anything, the only thing you may have to do is switch coil pack wires.

I have searched plenty of times. I found all the info I need to know about putting a 95 eprom ECU in my car. But I need to know if a 97 ECU will work in a 95. That is my question.

I have searched and searched no info on using a 97 ecu in 95. Anyone done it or know what to do?

tatersail said:
and 95 has only CPS.

95-95's have both Crank And Cam angle sensors. The Cam sensor is inside the head.
Never personal doing it myself, i would imagin you would have to swap injector wires on the 97.

So are the only real differences from 95 to 97 the firing order. I didnt know the CAS was just inside the head in the 95's. So for me and my buddy when we swap ECU's will we both just need to swap the ignition wires around to fix the firing order difference. I will be sending the 95 Eprom Ecu out right away to get socketed for DSMLink. I just need to know if my 97 ecu will work in my buddies.

tatersail said:
So are the only real differences from 95 to 97 the firing order. I didnt know the CAS was just inside the head in the 95's. So for me and my buddy when we swap ECU's will we both just need to swap the ignition wires around to fix the firing order difference. I will be sending the 95 Eprom Ecu out right away to get socketed for DSMLink. I just need to know if my 97 ecu will work in my buddies.

Yes the 97 will work in his 95.

The Cam angle sensor in a 95 is on the side of the head utilizing the metal plate inside the exhaust cam gear.

Ok I thought it just didnt have one. So I believe if I swap the wires around in his 95 he will be able to use my 97 ecu without any probelms. Just like I can use his 95 erpom ecu in my 97 once I was the ignition wires around.

I know this is old but i really gotta have some help. The other day i ordered a dsm v3 lite and now im reading about socketing ecu's? I have a 95 ecu out of a gsx, do i, or why would i have to have it socketed?

send it to the guys at ecmlink they might give you a better price because you just got the link

I know this is old but i really gotta have some help. The other day i ordered a dsm v3 lite and now im reading about socketing ecu's? I have a 95 ecu out of a gsx, do i, or why would i have to have it socketed?

that is a rather simple answer if you read past the first page of the ecm link Website.

1. Do you need it socketed?

Yes you need it socketed. Either they can if you send it to them, or you can. If you know what you are doing.

2. Why do you need it? If you knew the basics about a EPROM ECU and DSMLINK like I said previously. You'd realize that to use DSMLINK:

You need a eprom ecu which has this:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

That eprom chip on the ecu needs to be De-soldered, and replaced with a socket like this:

The reasoning for the socket is so you can Drop the DSMLINK Drop in Flash chip which looks like this:

It also allows you to easily swap the standard eprom, and the flash chip. In the case of an emergency(the chips aren't soldered in anymore).

What is the DSMLINK drop in Flash chip?
The 1G version of the V2 product included a memory board that not only added much needed additional RAM to the 1G platform but also provided a persistent storage solution. Changes made by the user to the configuration of the ECU were saved permanently in non-volatile RAM.

ECMLink V3 takes this a step further with an integrated, drop-in flash device for both 1G and 2G DSMs as well as EVO1-3 ECUs. This device not only provides persistent storage of user configuration changes to the ECU, but it also provides direct reflash access to all the factory code & table areas as well!!

This is one of the more innovative solutions I've ever seen. I'm biased, of course, but seriously, I've never seen anything this compact and easy to use for any other platform out there. It's literally the size of a standard EPROM chip, but includes SOOOO MUCH more functionality.

Is the DSMLINK flash chip needed?

Yes, it is what you are actually paying hundreds of dollars for. The actual DSMLINK program can be downloaded off there website for free, but without the OBDII to USB cable, and that DSMLINK flash chip. The software is useless.

Like I said. This is all just very basic knowledge that is very easily found. I linked it all from ECMTuning, Inc.. That should answer all of your questions bro! :thumb:

Hope that helps! :thumb:

I don't think Radioshack would do that. You'd need to find some electronics repair shop, and one who knows what they're doing with a circuit board.

I would personally recommend sending it in to ECMtuning as they'll socket it, replace the caps to prevent leaking, and then fully test it. They have a very quick turn around time as well.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back