The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Kiggly Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Does this seem normal?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tay97gst

10+ Year Contributor
Dec 20, 2011
Plaistow, New_Hampshire
Alright so I hope i don't come out as a total noob by asking this question, but i feel its important to know if my car is running properly. I'm not really sure how to state this but i'll do my best.
Does it make sense that when I'm driving normal, (as in shifting at like 4k or sooner, accelerating at a normal speed, just not driving overly fast), that my car doesnt make boost. It spikes up to like 0 from 20hg it just doesnt really make boost under normal driving conditions. However when i do actual to the pedal to the floor it boosts up to 15lbs and acts like a turbo should. I'm just not sure if the normal driving conditions should be like that or not.
I know i do have a boost leak somewhere behind or in the throttle body and also have an exhaust leak around the manifold area so i'm not sure if thats whats causing it or if its actually normal. Sorry if i sound dumb but i figured i'd try and ask.
Thanks for any input. :dsm:

If you are running a stock turbo, your boost will come on, even with the pedal to the floor around 1800 or so with no boost leaks. Turbos do not make boost unless the engine is under a load and will not make power until it starts seeing positive boost along with the power curve of your engine.

Under moderate acceleration, it will go in and out of boost but, only slightly as the power needed is very little since you will have some power, even with no boost or 0 boost at higher rpms just as you would in an NA car.

As state above, fix your boost leaks or your turbo will have to work much harder to maintain maximum boost since some of it is leaking out. This will overheat your turbo if leak is pretty bad and, it will reduce power as the intake charge will incur more heat (less dense) since the turbo is turning faster than it needs to based on the size of the leak. It CAN cause detonation and in a 1g, it can cause fuel cut as the 1g sensor could be overrun with the extra air going through it but not making it to the engine.

Lastly, it will make your motor run rich as well and could start to foul you plugs as well. It could over work your injectors as well since they are squirting more fuel for the 'preceived' more air at the sensor.

Fix all leaks

Definitely boost leak,perform a boost leak test and it'll def tell you all you need to know :)

Ive already stated the leaks... i know theyre there and i'll fix them when i can. I just wanted to know if that was normal regardless of boost leaks.

Ive already stated the leaks... i know theyre there and i'll fix them when i can. I just wanted to know if that was normal regardless of boost leaks.

It will be normal when you fix the leaks. the car is not designed to run with boost leaks. It hurts the car, little by little until you have a major problem. Get them fixed very soon or just do not drive the car til you do unless you just have to.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back