The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

Differentials

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VETTE_50_TH

Banned Member
Jun 24, 2004
Columbus, Ohio
I've searched, and even asked people who have started threads with no answers. Will a 4 bolt rear diff fit on a 1ga AWD. I know people said that the axles are different lengths, but can a 1ga axle fit into the 2g diff. If so, could one use a 2g 4 bolt diff as a possible conversion? Not saying i want to, but i would like to clear up my confusion and any one elses headaches. or did i just beat the :beatentodeath:

James :laser:

I know 1g 4bolt diffs will fit on 2g's and galants but i dont know about 2g's workin on 1g's i would think they would be considering 1g's fit in 2's

Im getting close then, since they work backwards of what i asked. Anyone else want to chime in, since illegal99si says that 1g fit in 2's. What makes them fit or not fit in this situation? Is a bolt up kind of thing or must modification be done?

There isnt a 2g 4 bolt differential. There is only a manual and auto differential with the different gear ratios.

And 1g and 2g differentials dont swap, they bolt up different. 1gs bolt on the housing and 2gs bolt on the case.

Edit - Now that I look at the orginal post closer... The "4 bolt" rear came from a 1g, so I dont know what youre talkin about mentioning the axles are different lengths. To simplify it - 1gs have the "3 and 4 bolt rears", 2g have the "manual and auto rears".

I thoght 2g's have a 4 bolt manual or 4 bolt auto? Help clear this up. Would then a 4bolt manual rear fit in a 1g. How about that?

There isnt a 2g 4 bolt differential. There is only a manual and auto differential with the different gear ratios.

And 1g and 2g differentials dont swap, they bolt up different. 1gs bolt on the housing and 2gs bolt on the case.

Edit - Now that I look at the orginal post closer... The "4 bolt" rear came from a 1g, so I dont know what youre talkin about mentioning the axles are different lengths. To simplify it - 1gs have the "3 and 4 bolt rears", 2g have the "manual and auto rears".

All 2g's came with 4 bolt rears.

So would a 1g axle fit into a 2g rear diff? Do 1g rear diffs and 2g man diffs look the same?

All 2g's came with 4 bolt rears.

From what I gather, people call them "4 bolt rears" because the axles bolt to the hubs with 4 bolts. 2gs dont have axles that bolt in like that. Maybe I missed something?

I see. If someone could show my a picture of how a 2g awd slip into the hub, that would be great. The 1g does have a 4 bolt pattern to turn the rear wheels, or a 3bolt. How does a 2g look then?

From what I gather, people call them "4 bolt rears" because the axles bolt to the hubs with 4 bolts. 2gs dont have axles that bolt in like that. Maybe I missed something?

Sorry, the 2g rears are all equivilent to the 4 bolt rears as far as internals are concerned. As for the axle, you are correct because it is a conventional axle.

I see. If someone could show my a picture of how a 2g awd slip into the hub, that would be great. The 1g does have a 4 bolt pattern to turn the rear wheels, or a 3bolt. How does a 2g look then?

The 2g rear axles are similar to the front. Inner cv slips into the diff and outer has a threaded shaft that slips through the hub just like the front. The axles dont bolt to the outer cups like a 1g.

So, that gets rid of that way. Is there a way of slipping a 1g axle into the 2g rear then? Not sure if i asked that already.

1g and 2g diffs are different they mount different and the axles are different. how different do you want them till you give up.

1g and 2g diffs are different they mount different and the axles are different. how different do you want them till you give up.

To elaborate on this, 2G and 1G rear ends use completely different method of being attached to the car. They can not be interchanged!

And while we are there, 2G attachment method puts much more stress on the pumpkin, which is why we occasionally see 2Gs toss their pumpkins. So even if you could adapt a 2G rear end, you wouldn't want to...

Thanks guys. I was just interested on this. It seemed i couldn't find the answer so i asked. Thats my plan anyway. I must say though, a spline instead of a bolt fitment on the rear wheels would probably be better though.

I hate to bring up an old thread but this is the closest I can find to my question. Is a 4 bolt rear (92.5-94) a quick bolt-in swap into a 1990 or is there a lot of work involved? Also, which axles would I use? The ones from my car or from the 92.5-94 car?

My LSD isn't acting like an LSD so I was wanting to swap to a 4 bolt LSD btw.

I hate to bring up an old thread but this is the closest I can find to my question. Is a 4 bolt rear (92.5-94) a quick bolt-in swap into a 1990 or is there a lot of work involved? Also, which axles would I use? The ones from my car or from the 92.5-94 car?

My LSD isn't acting like an LSD so I was wanting to swap to a 4 bolt LSD btw.

4 bolt rear install

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back