The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Deleting balance shafts

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Everyone has there own opinion on whether to keep them or not. I had a balance shaft seize and take out my motor. Therefore, I deleted mine with the new motor and have never looked back....

Had that stupid belt take out my motor as well. The belt was even knew and still shredded. :(. I'll never use them in any of my motors again that's for sure. I also added a fluidampr crank pulley to balance out things and so far not one issue.

I chose to keep mine. Mostly because I don't have the tools and equipment necessary to pull the motor out :p

Just liked the second person who posted said, it's a PITA with the motor in. I've read Jack's article on it as well and, in that way, it makes me feel better.

This is just a suggestion, but why don't you just leave it until at least it HAS to come out?

I'm leaving mine because I really don't want to take out the block and I stated why earlier. But, if something did happen, well then I know at that point it'll have to come out. And that at least gives me time to save so that once the block does need to come out, I can just rebuild the entire thing, remove BS, do pistons, rods, etc. Knock it all out at once.

I have always kept mine in with no problem . I boost around 30psi with meth with no issues . Your timing belt can also break and destroy your engine . If your building an all out race car then you have your rotating parts in your motor balanced and take the balanced shaft out .

You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I had mine go out and take my entire engine including my block to the scrap yard. So I will never run them again. I didn't notice any additional vibrations as a result. They spin at twice the speed of the engine, so when they go boom, they make a big boom. As you can see it even broke my starter off, which thankfully didn't crack the bell housing instead or it would have taken out that as well.

I have had zero issues for 6 years without mine, so you make the call. Using a sprung clutch disk and a flywheel that isn't super light fixes 90% of the problems jack explains. If it really caused that many issues, everyone would be keeping them.

I have a spare motor I am building , it's going to go full race car , cars gutted and going to get caged one day , so I plan on shooting for up wards of 700hp on this motor I have a pte 6466 and some other goodies

I've had engine's with and without them. I've never really noticed any significant differences. As the consensus here goes, it is basically your choice. I've never had the balance shafts destroy an engine as some have, but I have had a BS belt break and somehow it didn't destroy anything (luck).

The balance shaft belt breaking wasn't actually what took my motor out. When the motor was torn apart, it looked like on of the balance shaft bearing had spun and seized the balance shaft. The bearing itself was sticking halfway out of the bore when we found it. Of course, if the balance shaft seized itself, it was the domino effect from there. Timing belt job was performed 6 months earlier and everything was replaced with brand new OEM parts. The new motor has been in the car for 3 years now and I daily it 75 miles for work each day.

On one of my previous cars it was removed and on my current one it's still there. I have heard the stubby BSE is a bad idea, but I don't have any experience outside of the one car that never failed.

When I am ready to build another motor I will be using the following from Boostin Performance. Seems to be the best option I have found.

https://shop.boostinperformance.com/product-p/bp-racebal-4g63.htm

I bought my first DSM in 1999, it was a 92 1gb with under 45,*** mi, and I was just simply driving in stop and go traffic going to work and the BS belt broke and got caught in the T belt causing the engine to eat itself... Never again, every motor since then has had the balance shafts eliminated. Better safe than sorry is my opinon

You can remove the balance shaft belt and just leave te whaft in there. The rear shaft will still be turning but rarely ever has a problem. My car was like this when i bought it. Now theyre dully deleted but i dont notice any diff except the high oil pressure now

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back