The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

debating on what to do with engine

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nathan2103

Probationary Member
Dec 22, 2002
Malvern, CarrolltonOh
Hi, I own a 92 eclipse N/T and i just got it out of the shop because my fuel pressure regulator cause my computer to go out so i had to get it replaced. Anyway I told them that i noticed the car was burning oil and they said that it could be caused by faulty rings, or valve guides and valve stem seals. Anyway my question is I was wondering what anyone would recommend me doing if they were in my place i've considered either getting it fixed at a later time or just letting it eventually run until it wears out and replace the engine with another one or possibly a stroker or turbo engine (even though i've read on here how much work you have to go through to get it done but due to a bad driving record i don't think i could afford the insurance on a tsi or gst/x) any input would be appriciated thanks.

is the car a 2.0 or a 1.8, if it was a 2.0, was it made early of 92, or late in 92?(it will say in the door jam the month it was manufactured in). if it is a 2.0, it is a 4G63, which is a VERY good motor, same as the turbo motor with no oil squirters, different pistons, different cams, and the obvious externals. if it is a 4G63 and it was made in the first half of 92, then chances are you have a 6-bolt block, which is the best block, halfway through 92 they went to the 7-bolt block, which is more suceptable to crankwalk, my advice, keep the motor you have, if it is a 2.0 DO NOT let it die, rebuild that motor, i would suggest 1g rods with 2g pistons, together they can handle up to 500hp. if you rebuild it, you can keep the non-turbo insurance, but also put turbo pistons and cams in it, then update the fuel system(pump, injectors, rail) and the bolt ons(manifold, wastegate, turbo, etc.) and you will have a turbo car, be advised if you do rebuild that motor as a turbo motor, you will need a turbo ecu, and if you check the classifieds you can find most of the parts you would need, i would advise a 2g exhaust manifold as it is stronger and won't crack as easily. Hope i was of some help

-Denis
P.S. if you take that motor out, as it is you could probly get $300 to $400 for it, providing it is a 4G63(2.0 DOHC), this is a VERY desirable motor, i know my 93 is getting a 6-bolt swap so if you decide to get rid of that motor, if you sell it for a reasonable price and it is a 6-bolt, i will gladly take it off your hands

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back