The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support ExtremePSI

debating on purchasing 2g need opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gotta agree with 95talon girl. That tsi is a much better find, and he/she will probably take 4k cash in hand. If you really want to do a conversion, replacement bumpers, rear lights and spoiler will only cost you a few hundred, but personally I prefer the look of the rarer talon, and they're getting more scarce and valuable.

Last edited:
I'm mainly looking for a manual but do you guys think the automatic gst is slower or less fun to drive if they are manuals?
Oh i forgot its a automatic. That sucks man. Manual way better.[DOUBLEPOST=1413766990][/DOUBLEPOST]I would go with that gsx the other guy suggested. Go check that one out first.

It's not too bad if you can find a good deal on the parts, and find them in the same color. Rear bumper, taillights, headlights, and front bumper at simplest. (There's a foam pad that goes under the fascia that is usually different as those are made to fit the shape of the fascia.) But it's truthfully pretty easy.

It's not too bad if you can find a good deal on the parts, and find them in the same color. Rear bumper, taillights, headlights, and front bumper at simplest. (There's a foam pad that goes under the fascia that is usually different as those are made to fit the shape of the fascia.) But it's truthfully pretty easy.
What would you put it in dolla value?

I would pay no more than maybe 1500 bucks for that car. The fact that the body has cheap fiberglass fenders, rattle can primer, and the strut towers look to have bondo with primer on top. The interior looks to be spray painted in spots also. The engine bay has all kind of things that are going to need to be taken care of, junk ebay manifold, upper intercooler pipe that is almost touching that manifold, ebay bov, bov not recirculated and who knows what else. I would expect to have tons of problems with that car. For his asking price you can find a nice bone stock car with a good clean body and interior that likely will be WAY more reliable. I would go for that talon any day over the eclipse. I would offer like 3500 for the talon or find another cleaner one like that.

I would pay no more than maybe 1500 bucks for that car. The fact that the body has cheap fiberglass fenders, rattle can primer, and the strut towers look to have bondo with primer on top. The interior looks to be spray painted in spots also. The engine bay has all kind of things that are going to need to be taken care of, junk ebay manifold, upper intercooler pipe that is almost touching that manifold, ebay bov, bov not recirculated and who knows what else. I would expect to have tons of problems with that car. For his asking price you can find a nice bone stock car with a good clean body and interior that likely will be WAY more reliable. I would go for that talon any day over the eclipse. I would offer like 3500 for the talon or find another cleaner one like that.
would you guys suggest this one over the one in my first post?

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/4680297036.html

I wouldn't pay that, and being a Illinois car, you will have rust, I guarantee it! We have some of the nastiest salt out there on our roads!

I'd pay allow myself to pay 3500$ tops, :2cents:

The GSX is nice! But I wouldn't want a 95 :( have to be a 98/99!
95's are the ugliest of the uglies :D No offense to 95's owners! I've owned one myself and hated it!

I wouldn't pay that, and being a Illinois car, you will have rust, I guarantee it! We have some of the nastiest salt out there on our roads!

I'd pay allow myself to pay 3500$ tops, :2cents:

The GSX is nice! But I wouldn't want a 95 :( have to be a 98/99!
95's are the ugliest of the uglies :D No offense to 95's owners! I've owned one myself and hated it!
I just can't do the look of the gsx/talon I know it's better and awd but at the end of the day it's still not a car I'd want to look at in my driveway.

What's your opinion on ...

OP a couple things you have confused about the body style...

The 95-96 eclipses are the ugly ones you are talking about

97-99 eclipses no matter the trim look the same besides the wing, side skirts and sunroof.

Same goes for talons 95-96 style is different than 97-98.

Now don't let that stop you. If you are going to paint it the bumpers just swap out. On the eclipse the headlights are different on the 97-99s.

95-96 eclipse and 95-98 talons all use the same headlights.

OP a couple things you have confused about the body style...

The 95-96 eclipses are the ugly ones you are talking about

97-99 eclipses no matter the trim look the same besides the wing, side skirts and sunroof.

Same goes for talons 95-96 style is different than 97-98.

Now don't let that stop you. If you are going to paint it the bumpers just swap out. On the eclipse the headlights are different on the 97-99s.

95-96 eclipse and 95-98 talons all use the same headlights.
So your saying that I can make the rear end of the talon look like and eclipse?

So your saying that I can make the rear end of the talon look like and eclipse?

Of coarse you can, they are the same car with different bumpers and side skits. You will just have to find the bumper you want and relocate the center mount bracket up a few inches and the bumper and tail lights bolt right on. You will also have to do a little wiring, but it is very minor.

I just can't do the look of the gsx/talon I know it's better and awd but at the end of the day it's still not a car I'd want to look at in my driveway.

That's a better buy! Un-modded clean car is what you want!
Modded cars, stay away from them unless the guy has every receipt and had them done correctly.
Modded cars tend to be beat up, where as that car, almost stock probably was just a DD.

Price is better to!

Also GSX is the same as a GST except the GSX has All Wheel Drive. Difference in looks comes from Eclipse vs Talon and certain features are year specific, like the inside rear reverse lights are 95 year and some 96.[DOUBLEPOST=1413817787][/DOUBLEPOST]Just an fyi as well, 98/99 years have BLACK BOX ecu's which are tune-able :) If you want to tune other years, you need to replace the ecu.

That's a better buy! Un-modded clean car is what you want!
Modded cars, stay away from them unless the guy has every receipt and had them done correctly.
Modded cars tend to be beat up, where as that car, almost stock probably was just a DD.

Price is better to!

Also GSX is the same as a GST except the GSX has All Wheel Drive. Difference in looks comes from Eclipse vs Talon and certain features are year specific, like the inside rear reverse lights are 95 year and some 96.[DOUBLEPOST=1413817787][/DOUBLEPOST]Just an fyi as well, 98/99 years have BLACK BOX ecu's which are tune-able :) If you want to tune other years, you need to replace the ecu.
Is it cheap/easier to tune them with the ecu that comes with It or just replace the stock ecu? I know on the 2012 it's a pain in the ads to tune the stock ecu.[DOUBLEPOST=1413822361][/DOUBLEPOST]
It would be nice to see a pic of the engine bay, and know what all maintenance has been done on it.
I can't tell if that is rust on the right strut tower but if it was is that bad or is it fixable?

Attachments

• IMG_3518.jpg
    IMG_3518.jpg
    390.1 KB · Views: 66
With the black box ecu's and a tactrix cable + software you are looking at 100$ probably cheaper! Tunning with the software isn't that hard from what I've read. That stuff comes pretty easy to me vs ecm link which is the popular and requires a 95 modified ecu which is around = 400-600$ ECM Link has much more support and is easier to the average person, but is much more expensive and requires other modifications.

98/99's have better built blocks, they are not as prone to crank-walk like 95's-97's, something else to think about. 99 Is the best year for 2g's hands down.

Strut tower rust is fixable although sometimes the repair to do it can be very involved depending on how bad it is. If it's rusted through most people get a new shell.[DOUBLEPOST=1413824887][/DOUBLEPOST]In the pic above of the silver one that shouldn't be too bad to fix. Obviously it's cheaper if you can do it yourself.

http://louisville.craigslist.org/cto/4680297036.html[/QUOTE]

That car has been posted a couple of times in the past 6 months or so. I wouldn't bother with it and good luck with finding a good dsm around that location as they tend to be over priced and needing a lot of work.

Im with 95talongirl my car was like 500 bux and is very similar. given im pullin the motor on er

http://columbiamo.craigslist.org/cto/4712728456.html

OP: Much closer and if i didnt have an extra dsm i would be ALL over this right now. If its in the condition he claims with that low mileage and a rebuilt AUTO..... man, for under 5k?? Dude thats a steal. Flat out. Go buy it. I know plenty of people love to hate on ATs. But, in the 1/4 the AT will be faster. it'll need a few more ponies due to drivetrain loss but with the right clutch kits, shift kit, and a roadsurge box you have everything you need to get in the 10s. And it wont break nearly as often as well as being a little softer on the driveline components. less "shock",from what ive read.

You want AWD and at that price with under 100k original miles with great paint and great interior. Its worth a look bro! Good luck

The only reason its still up is cause its an auto. Most everyone who first gets in to dsms wants a MT.

If i didnt have so many projects and surgery coming up i wouldn't have linked this cause id be on my way out there to pick it up!

I have mixed opinions on them. My automatic ran just fine... but my 5sp... well... you know

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
[DOUBLEPOST=1414740542][/DOUBLEPOST]Also have him make a few hard left turns

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back