The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support Morrison Fabrication

debating on purchasing 2g need opinions

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

You want to make the 2g your daily driver? I don't know what you have done to you 2012 but I'm willing to bet it gets much better gas mpg and is more dependable. As far as the 2g goes, the possibilities are limitless. You could go full blown 6 bolt swap and bigg horse power, or make a pretty damn fast street car on the 7 bolt. The link isn't my personal style but with the 1g turbo in there it probably goes pretty good and it looks clean enough. You might want to research the awd a little, might be something your interested in.

Looks pretty clean. Not very many mods is a plus. When you go to check it out check the strut towers on top. Looks to be rust i see in tops. I would say you should expect to replace the suspension. Go take it for a test drive and come back to post how it drove. Make sure you get it up to the high rpms when you test drive it.

I shouldn't say dd more of a car second car that helps not add a lot of miles on my 4g. When you say awd are you referring to the gsx? If so I'm not looking to spend more then 4k on it. What are the main differences between the 6 and 7 bolt? How can you tell if it is a 6 or 7 bolt? (Sorry not that car savvy)[DOUBLEPOST=1413761915][/DOUBLEPOST]
Looks pretty clean. Not very many mods is a plus. When you go to check it out check the strut towers on top. Looks to be rust i see in tops. I would say you should expect to replace the suspension. Go take it for a test drive and come back to post how it drove. Make sure you get it up to the high rpms when you test drive it.
Could you help me see the rust you are seeing?[DOUBLEPOST=1413761984][/DOUBLEPOST]If its throwing out code for downstream o2 sensor is that a bad think ? Or is it an easy fix by just replacing the sensor?

I shouldn't say dd more of a car second car that helps not add a lot of miles on my 4g. When you say awd are you referring to the gsx? If so I'm not looking to spend more then 4k on it. What are the main differences between the 6 and 7 bolt? How can you tell if it is a 6 or 7 bolt? (Sorry not that car savvy)[DOUBLEPOST=1413761915][/DOUBLEPOST]
Could you help me see the rust you are seeing?[DOUBLEPOST=1413761984][/DOUBLEPOST]If its throwing out code for downstream o2 sensor is that a bad think ? Or is it an easy fix by just replacing the sensor?
Yea give me one minute

You must be logged in to view this image or video.
To the right and left of the red bar across engine bay is the towers. The round shaped things with bolts around it. They both look to have a little rusty color to them. If its rust its not good. Could just be dirty though. Gotta check them.[DOUBLEPOST=1413762401][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thanks! And great color on your 2g!
Thanks. I am a dukes of hazzard fan.[DOUBLEPOST=1413762567][/DOUBLEPOST]
You want to make the 2g your daily driver? I don't know what you have done to you 2012 but I'm willing to bet it gets much better gas mpg and is more dependable. As far as the 2g goes, the possibilities are limitless. You could go full blown 6 bolt swap and bigg horse power, or make a pretty damn fast street car on the 7 bolt. The link isn't my personal style but with the 1g turbo in there it probably goes pretty good and it looks clean enough. You might want to research the awd a little, might be something your interested in.
Hey man the 7 bolt puts out tons of power. Don't downplay the 7 bolt it is a great engine too.

Last edited:
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
To the right and left of the red bar across engine bay is the towers. The round shaped things with bolts around it. They both look to have a little rusty color to them. If its rust its not good. Could just be dirty though. Gotta check them.[DOUBLEPOST=1413762401][/DOUBLEPOST]
Thanks. I am a dukes of hazzard fan.
I've messaged him and asked if it's rusted. I live 5 hours away from him so I have to do all the research I can and get all i help i can before I make the trip out to get a look at it.

With the paint job and aftermarket body panels, I naturally think of red flags. Run a CARFAX or similar for any reported accidents and owner history. You wont believe some of the things that pop up. If an accident is present, it usually gives a general idea of where it occurred. You can closely inspect those areas or have a mechanic check it out. You can also get an idea if you have an honest owner if they say there have been no accidents (you have documentation that says otherwise). I have had this happen on more than one occasion.

You can search the the differences between the 6 and 7 bolt pretty quickly, but the short version is the 2gs had a crank that was know to "walk" ( break) at high horsepowers.

With the paint job and aftermarket body panels, I naturally think of red flags. Run a CARFAX or similar for any reported accidents and owner history. You wont believe some of the things that pop up. If an accident is present, it usually gives a general idea of where it occurred. You can closely inspect those areas or have a mechanic check it out. You can also get an idea if you have an honest owner if they say there have been no accidents (you have documentation that says otherwise). I have had this happen on more than one occasion.
I've asked if it has a clean carfax and he said yes and that it has never been in accident. I will doubt check this if everything else goes good.

I've asked if it has a clean carfax and he said yes and that it has never been in accident. I will doubt check this if everything else goes good.

YOU should still run one. Just a suggestion. You just need to ask for the VIN. Clean means different things to different people. I could tell you anything you want to hear when trying to sell something.

Bring a compression tester with you for sure. Look up how to do compression test 2g dsm and what the numbers should be.. Tell the owner you want to do one. If he says no then don't buy it. Compression testers are about 40 bucks at most auto stores such as autozone.

ChiTown cars almost always have rust. Just the way it is. But, if the guy took it through a carwash with an undercarriage blast on a regular basis it may not have any rust.
4k for an unpainted FWD. I couldn't do it. Unless it was mint interior, mint wiring, and absolutely 100% stock. Cause almost everyone gets the itch past 400whp to do the awd swap or just buy an awd.
Not everyone, just most people LOL.

I always say, a car is what you are willing to pay for it. I won't bash you if you spend 2 grand or 8 grand on that car. Its your money. That said, being in Chi you have access to a lot of local dsms so i would search hard and maybe come up with an awd thats in good shape for 5k or 6k. Or simply a different gst with a paint job. GL in whatever you choose

Edit: nvm, you live across the river from me. yea its quite a haul up there. Went to go look at a dsm up there once and within 1 minute i noticed about 20 things he lied about. Turned right around and took the 5 hr trip home. Its a gamble

Last edited:
YOU should still run one. Just a suggestion. You just need to ask for the VIN. Clean means different things to different people. I could tell you anything you want to hear when trying to sell something.
OK then I'll run one right before I commit to taking to taking the 5 hour drive to check it out. Thanks for your suggestion!

You can search the the differences between the 6 and 7 bolt pretty quickly, but the short version is the 2gs had a crank that was know to "walk" ( break) at high horsepowers.
The 98 and 99 dsms were fixed with revised split thrust bearings so crankwalk isn't happening there. Only few i have heard of are the 97's crankwalking. Which is still rare.

ChiTown cars almost always have rust. Just the way it is. But, if the guy took it through a carwash with an undercarriage blast on a regular basis it may not have any rust.
4k for an unpainted FWD. I couldn't do it. Unless it was mint interior, mint wiring, and absolutely 100% stock. Cause almost everyone gets the itch past 400whp to do the awd swap or just buy an awd.
Not everyone, just most people LOL.

I always say, a car is what you are willing to pay for it. I won't bash you if you spend 2 grand or 8 grand on that car. Its your money. That said, being in Chi you have access to a lot of local dsms so i would search hard and maybe come up with an awd thats in good shape for 5k or 6k. Or simply a different gst with a paint job. GL in whatever you choose
I am limiting myself to 4 grand and am basically looking for a close to stock with little to no dent or hair damage. And this is one of the only ones that fit in that category[DOUBLEPOST=1413763935][/DOUBLEPOST]
Bring a compression tester with you for sure. Look up how to do compression test 2g dsm and what the numbers should be.. Tell the owner you want to do one. If he says no then don't buy it. Compression testers are about 40 bucks at most auto stores such as autozone.
I will definitely be doing this thanks for the suggestion!

Black dsms are notorious for the clearcoat fading horribly. He probably just sanded and primed to look better for a sale. My gsx was black and clear was horrible.
I asked him about that a while ago and this was his response.
"It was painted black and my plan was to paint it again to make it look new, did all body work as far as normal wear and tear it had from being a 98 but never got around to paint, I just primed it."

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back