The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

dacowgod- 10.92 @ 133.93; Holset HY35

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Just an update- as of yesterday, Gabe Friend is now the HY35 E.T. leader at 10.86 @ 129 on street tires. This occurred at Mason Dixon Dragway near Hagerstown, MD.

Ricky was also at the event and was on a sure 10.7 or faster run in his AWD Spyder when 3rd gear let go. Look for Ricky to come back next season possibly with an auto in the car, pushing the HY35 to the limit.

Congratulations to both guys for giving it all they had this season in their street-driven full-weight 2G's! Let's try to talk them into losing some weight and getting these $200 turbos even deeper into the 10's!

Ricky was also at the event and was on a sure 10.7 or faster run in his AWD Spyder when 3rd gear let go. Look for Ricky to come back next season possibly with an auto in the car, pushing the HY35 to the limit.

I thought and thought about auto... but just couldn't do it.. ...just put a deposit down on a Shep DogBox... Next year should be fun ;-)

Whats the total on one of them? Did your broken trans have any metal treatments done? d

They are around $6000 and up ...depending on what options you toss in there.. With all the bells you're right at $10,000 ... I snagged one slightly used from Kim Sheunman (literally 20 miles on it) for under 4500 shipped and it has a Quaife Front diff too... Shep said it will cost me little to nothing to add 5th gear ..It should be here Wednesday.... and Hopefully Friday I can have 5th installed... so maybe next weekend i can take it out for a test drive before I put it away for the winter....(if weather cooperates)

As for your question about my broken trans's...

I have broken 4 Shep Stage 4 trannies with REM treated gears.... I also broke a TRE stage 2.5 but that had a stock center diff and i took it out on launching...so shame on me... The last go around i waited an entire year for a custom 4th gear to be made as I kept stripping 4th...In the mean time I decided to get away from the torquey 2.4 w/ the hx40 and went back with a 2.0 and a smaller HY35 ...thinking i'd surely keep a trans together with less motor and stronger 4th.... around 1800 miles later... 3rd let go ... I have no clue what kind of power the new setup is making...probably similar..I just expect less torque.. Regardless....it obviously couldnt withstand the power...and with having over $10,000 worth of transmissions in the gutter it seemed I needed to make a decision ... I couldnt talk myself into Automatic ... so Shep's PPG Dog Box it is... I'm pretty excited about it..I imagine the car will be even faster... ..and hopefully I can stop worrying about stripping gears!

Hmm. I'm about 100whp down from you right now, and I havn't broke anything yet. Mines been detailed and shotpeened, so maybe that helps. I suppose I need to keep an eye out for a used one. I suppose one with a 4 spider and 5th gear is going to be in the 10k range.

Anyway, I've got my HY35 setup on my car, and it's pretty kickass so far. I can't wait for spring to get the thing dialed in an making some power!

Congrats on the times! I must be a lucky one as I NEVER broke a drivetrain part with my shep stage 3 and I was making 640whp on a mustang dyno... When I swapped to a auto I did however break a tcase at the shootout and shortly after break a few teeth off the center diff in the auto.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back