The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

2G CV axle issues.

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slkdjl

Probationary Member
Apr 4, 2018
Norfolk, Virginia
So my car is a 99 eclipse GST Spyder. 5 speed 2.0 DOHC turbo. Recently I had to pull the front passenger cv axle due to it literally coming apart turning into my driveway. I’ve tried 3 different cv axles specific to the car. On all the diameter of the shaft that goes into the tranny has been too large. A friend recommended using a 1G axle. What’s going on here?

Just guessing, someone may have swapped in a different transmission at some point. The axle sizes and spline counts are different throughout the DSM years. My car is on its fourth transmission.

What is the number and letter code stamped on your transmission bell housing?

When you have that, you can look up what transmission the car came out of originally and figure out the axle type you need. Go to post #5 in this thread for some more info.

EDIT: some additional info..... that "MUZ1" you found could be MUZT, which is the 97-99 Eclipse AWD 5-spd turbos (manufactured 7/96 to 99). But you already tried a 99 axle and it didn't work. So possibly that transmission has been apart for a rebuild and the original front differential was replaced with a 1g or Galant type or something.
Don't quote me, but I think I read that the front differentials can be swapped around between transmissions by also swapping the spacers or bearings. This would lead to needing a different size axle than what your car came with.

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back