The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support RTM Racing
Please Support STM Tuned

Cut off 97 gst

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GstBryan19

Probationary Member
Jun 1, 2015
Albuquerque, New_Mexico
So i was driving my car about 3 days ago, when all of a suddend i felt the need to go full throttle, and it cut me off around 4000 rpms/: i cant seem to find the problem, i have no boost leaks, car has stock turbo at 15 psi. Any suggestions or has this happened to anyone before?

Fuel cut. Spark drop. Get tuning soution (SAFC,Link,MaF Trans) bigger injectors, Wide Band, data logger.

New and properly gapped spark plugs could also feel like a fuel cut wall if you are blowing out spark on a wide gap.

I hit fuel cut on stock turbo if I stab the throttle in first or second gear around 4k RPM. I also hit fuel cut in high RPMs at WOT in 3rd. I gapped my NGKs a little tighter than the book says and now it happens a little less.

Either learn to expect the "brick wall" or tune it out (by tune it out I mean literally tune it out not ignore it)

Yeah i ordered injectors and fuel pump already, hopefully thats the issue, and i have a aftermarket gauge man. I guess it kinda of common to cut out like that, but it can be lots of things

Check plugs, Though it is most likely fuel cut. Gap to .028 That's a good precaution to take and is very simple and quick to do. Also what pump did you order an what are your goals/plans for the build?

Last edited:
I have had it like this for a while now, but never did i floor it all the way. Ive heard that it most likely a fuel cut so im getting injectors and fuel pump hopefully i go e85

I had to cut my sparkplug gap way down to .020 last night to get my new to me 97 TSI to quit hitting the "brickwall" and it has a stock Garrett turbo. After that, it flew up to 7000 with no stuttering. Just thought I would throw that out there. This car has other issues and mods but I am still working out the bugs. Hoping this might help you also.

Replace your fuel filter.
I had to cut my sparkplug gap way down to .020 last night to get my new to me 97 TSI to quit hitting the "brickwall" and it has a stock Garrett turbo. After that, it flew up to 7000 with no stuttering. Just thought I would throw that out there. This car has other issues and mods but I am still working out the bugs. Hoping this might help you also.
Hell yeah bro! I'll look in to that tonight! Thanks for the info i love this forum!

I got lucky. I checked the plugs - Autolites so since I didn't care about them and was going to replace them with NGK's I just necked the gap way down and went for a cruise expecting to still find the brick wall. To my surprise she zoomed right up to 7000....then I blew an intercooler coupler off of it. Fixed that and put my NGK's in and gapped them at .028 and the brickwall came back so tonight after work I am pulling them and gapping them low too and will go out for another test but I expect the same result and was super happy that it liked it.

Nice, well my fuel pump and injectors are coming in tomorrow. The same thing happen to one of my friends and a fuel pump did the work. So i hope thats the case because im going to mexico for a paintjob the 17th.

Good luck. If I regap tonight and it fails to fix my problem I will post that so you will know.

What NGK's are you putting in?

You also may be getting spark plug blow out since the gap is not small enough but is unusual because you are running on a stock turbo but, since you did set boost to 15psi that might have something to do with it.

hahaha, I didn't set it, that's just how it is....it's a new car to me this week. Stock turbo, 1g BOV and FMIC is about all I can see done to it but it sure sounds like it has cams in it and it has a shaved VC. I am finding out more as I go. And I don't know what Autolite plugs they were but I put BPR7ES's in it.

Okay, I know how you feel I have basically the same car as you that I picked up a couple moths ago and I had no idea it had what it had.

BRP6's or BRP7's will both work, on a mostly stock car many recommend 6's. The 7's won't hurt and give less of a chance of detonation. They are a colder plug then what is needed but, if your into boosting all the time 7's can be a plus. I would start off by gaping them to 0.28" like you have, then decreasing the gap size to 0.23" and see if that helps if not go lower, I wouldn't go lower than 0.20" based on your set up.

Reporting back....no change this time so I have other issues, but I've only had the car a few days. Sometimes she runs good and other times it hits that brickwall like last night again. So this time it made no difference and I will be on "the hunt" for what is going on this weekend.

The worst part about all this is i was racing a m5 the night before and i beat him, so he said his car was over heating
Reporting back....no change this time so I have other issues, but I've only had the car a few days. Sometimes she runs good and other times it hits that brickwall like last night again. So this time it made no difference and I will be on "the hunt" for what is going on this weekend.
im putting on my fuel pump today. Ill keep you updated if that was the problem. Good luck by the way!

Thanks, maybe we will just be helping each other out with the "this worked or this didn't" thing. I have something rattling under my valve cover also so I'm gonna have to pull it off and get a look see :/

The worst part about all this is i was racing a m5 the night before and i beat him, so he said his car was over heating

im putting on my fuel pump today. Ill keep you updated if that was the problem. Good luck by the way!

Do you have an AFPR to control that fuel pump? If not, you are going ot need one or you will have worse problems.

Also, injectors will do you no good without some way to control them. Do you have anything (AFC, DSM/ECMLink)?

Thanks, maybe we will just be helping each other out with the "this worked or this didn't" thing. I have something rattling under my valve cover also so I'm gonna have to pull it off and get a look see :/
Maybe you have a weak coil? I'm running the same plugs and gapped at .028 and have no problems up to 7500PRM. That's on a 20g at 23psi so stock turbo blowing those plugs out at 15 sounds like it may be a different problem. In fact, .028 is what is recommended with what you have going on there so I think it may be a deeper issue than just plugs. Maybe you need better wires or one is arcing somewhere else? Kinda just sounds funny that it is doing that.

Thanks for chiming in. I never had these issues with my 90, which I am still trying to get together on a 6 day work week for this whole year. I ran across this car in a trade for a truck so I jumped on it. It turns out to be a 98 Talon not a 97 so I like the first year last year thing! Now just having time to try and figure out the things on the new car since it is a driver. It hits fuel cut HARD at 15 lbs of boost (stock). And a darn clackity sound under the VC so I'm gonna pull it this weekend when I'm not working on the 90 and see if I can visually see anything loose. Any other advice on hitting that brickwall deal I would love to hear about to try and solve it. It has one new coil I can see and the power transistor is not bolted down. When it runs good she goes right up to 7000 but that is rare as most of the time it hits fuel cut and SLAM. From the sound of the exhaust it might have some cams in it but the PO didn't know a thing about the car so its a game for me to figure it all out. Appreciate it Chump!!!!

Do you have an AFPR to control that fuel pump? If not, you are going ot need one or you will have worse problems.

Also, injectors will do you no good without some way to control them. Do you have anything (AFC, DSM/ECMLink)?
Its going to get tuned bro. Im just putting the fuel pump first later ill put the injectors. Do you think ill need the afpr?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back