The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support Rix Racing

Custom DP build this weekend, ideas?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

____Kurt____

10+ Year Contributor
Jul 14, 2009
North, New_Jersey
So I got all the exhaust in that I ordered and I have a chance Sunday to start hacking and welding but I'm kinda not sure where to start. The engine is on the engine stand so it will have its ups and downs. I have never fabbed up a DP so this will be the first and I would like to do it right the first time. Please anyone with experience pitch in and give some thoughts.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.

I was thinking about using a 90* elbow from under the oil pan coming out on a slant like in the picture, and then taking a U bend and trimming it to fit that. Before I start cutting pipe I would like some thoughts and advice such as placement,shape, bends and whatnot. Having a distance from the surrounding things like rad,hoses and whatnot are going to be hard to work around because the engine is out of the car.

Straight out the drivers side bumper LOL thats gonna be hard without being in the car for clearance reasons

Kurt. Use hose clamps to mock up tubing. You can punch holes in them to tack if needed. Its better than tape. Makes for easy adjustment. Works out alot better than tacking realize you need to reposition cut and retack.

Kurt. Use hose clamps to mock up tubing. You can punch holes in them to tack if needed. Its better than tape. Makes for easy adjustment. Works out alot better than tacking realize you need to reposition cut and retack.

Now that's an idea! beats those $300+ clamps that hold the pipe together with a slot down the middle to tack them together. Keep the ideas coming.
I will make sure the oil changes will be unaffected by the DP :thumb:
Any other ideas for clearances or positioning?

my cars got a custom down pipe on it, and i realized that the guy who made it, made the bend from the turbo too sharp. making it extremely difficult to remove

For extra oil filter clearance you could always get a remote filter mount. I have my filter mounted where the washer reservoir used to be. Good luck with the project.

There honestly hasn't been any progress on the exhaust system yet because my friend with the welder just had a kid and his schedule is pretty tight and I have 1001 other projects I'm in the middle of trying to finish up (as you might see in other sections on the forms like fuel, cross member,electrical.....). I also am pretty close to dropping the motor in so I think It might be a smarter choice to wait for the engine to be in the car to make the DP. I'm really rushing my a$$ off to get this thing done for Ohio. Right as I have any types of updates I will post.

Ok got the motor in!!! It looks like a DP will be a complete pain in the a$$. Small victory for the success of the car is coming together.

I want to change my setup to a top mount, I just wanted to know is there any reason you went with a v-band over a flange?

I want to change my setup to a top mount, I just wanted to know is there any reason you went with a v-band over a flange?

IMO V-bands are the way of the future even tho they have been around forever. The pros of v-band out weigh the cons and are way better for fitment and adjustment over a bolt-flange design. Its one bolt,can be rotated and maintain the same seal and NO gaskets. In my head it just makes sense to have everything v-band if possible, the only down side I have found so far is price on a quality piece. Excuse the rant, just excited to get my damn car done LOL. I really hope its done for Ohio.

Ok so I got the IC piping in today and it looks like I'm going to have fun with this :rolleyes: . I honestly know going to a ff ofh would make everything easier but than the new oem housing that I ported and new monster b&m oil cooler and lines would all be a waste of money. This is some pics I took today so you guys could get an idea of what is going on. The intercooler will be here tomorrow along with the axles. There will be a lot of cutting and welding but that is welcome. I just want to do it right. It looks like after fabbing up the DP I won't be able to take it off :hmm:
Its going to have to be a dual pusher fan setup and I cut off the mounting brackets that are all over the back of the rad for more clearance.
Clearances are TIGHT!!

What size is the piping? I apologize if it was already covered. It looks larger than 3" but it could just be the pics

Straight up!!!!! You done all that work just send the flames out the hood LOL, can you not relocate you PS pump as i really cannot see away to do this.

Piping is 3.5" from the turbo.
I think I will use 2 vband assemblies for the down pipe so I can lift the upper part out and lower the lower part down, I can't see me being able to take out the dp all in one piece with out going to extremes like taking the Mani and turbo off.
Straight up LOL. Honestly I would if I didn't just restore the entire exterior of the car, that is also holding me back from putting a bumper exit, custom paint and I don't work at a body shop anymore :thumb: . Well any way, I got the intercooler in and this might help me in placement of all the pipes. This think is just big!
This is the reducer I had the machinist shave down on the lathe for me.

This is the monster. 4.25 thick by 11 tall. Stupid LOL.

Also my brother has been telling me to do an oil filter relocation, but I have too little knowledge about them. But then I could relocate the filter and keep my housing and cooler. Any one have any experience or anything with them?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back