The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Rix Racing
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic

ECMlink Critique idle/small cruise log

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twinturbo120

10+ Year Contributor
Aug 14, 2010
Miami, Florida
Hi guys, I've been doing a lot of reading and watching a bunch of yt videos on how to get this car running properly.
I would say I'm pretty close, considering I've never done this before. I went around the neighborhood a couple of times and idled towards the end of the log.

I noticed the car leans out a lot when the turbo starts spooling up, and it feels like I hit a wall around 4k. I have done a bunch of blt's, fixed all of them, verified timing and base fuel pressure (which I had wrong which is why I could never get the STFT to line up in idle before, but that's another story LOL).

Let me know what I can do, I've been working hard to get this doneeeee

1). Any boost, vac, or exhaust leaks?

No
Boost leak tested 5psi above your max boost with no leaks?
Yes

2). Verified mechanical timing?
Yes

3). Verified base timing?
Yes

4). Ignition system
COP or Stock Coil: Stock
Wire brand and Age: NGK/3 year
Spark Plug brand, type and Gap: NGK-BR7ES/.022

5). Motor health (Compression Test)
Cylinder 1: 190
Cylinder 2: 191
Cylinder 3: 188
Cylinder 4: 191

6). Performed basic throttle body adjustments?

Idle Switch: Yes
Throttle Cable: Yes
TPS: Yes
BISS: Yes

7). Compression ratio
8.7:1

8). Any known bad sensors or brittle wiring?
No

9). Any DTC/CEL codes?
No

10). Electrical system
Car off (not running): 12.4 volts
Car running: 13.2 volts (passenger fan on)

11). Base fuel pressure and injector values
Base Fuel Pressure: 45.0
Injector Size (cc/min): 2200cc

12). Properly calibrated and configured wideband sensor
Sensor Brand: LC2
Calibration Date: Jun/2020

13). Type of fuel
Type: 93 Octane
Percent of Ethanol: 9%

14). Watched ECMlink how-to videos?
Yes

Attachments

• log.2020.06.16-14.elg
    411.6 KB · Views: 78
Looks pretty solid to start with. The car is averaging about 6.5% on idle combined FT which tells me it wants a tad more deadtime. Isc position is decent, VE map needs work or someone professional to fix. IATs are super high and need to be addressed. Maybe that's not accurate? I've never used a maf.

Your MAF compensation wants some massive swings at 500 and under. Not quite sure why that is, I normally do not see wild swings like that. What brand are the injectors?

I don't think you watch any videos or you're not understanding them
You're not seeing 100% throttle.
Set your coasting fc offset to 0. It's your (target idle) - 900 = 0
Set your knock cel to 2
Your battery voltage at idle is about 13V which isn't terrible, but it's low
Add some deadtime like vegas said to get your fuel trims close to zero at idle. It won't stay at zero but you'd want to be close.
MAF slider is one of the worst I've seen. How did you get there? Go to link demo and watch the fuel trim video. This will help your idle and cruise tune.

http://www.ecmtuning.com/demos/fueltrim.html

You have an evo8/3g maf?

Looks pretty solid to start with. The car is averaging about 6.5% on idle combined FT which tells me it wants a tad more deadtime. Isc position is decent, VE map needs work or someone professional to fix. IATs are super high and need to be addressed. Maybe that's not accurate? I've never used a maf.

He's MAF so VE doesn't apply.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you watch any videos or you're not understanding them
You're not seeing 100% throttle.
Set your coasting fc offset to 0. It's your (target idle) - 900 = 0
Set your knock cel to 2
Your battery voltage at idle is about 13V which isn't terrible, but it's low
Add some deadtime like vegas said to get your fuel trims close to zero at idle. It won't stay at zero but you'd want to be close.
MAF slider is one of the worst I've seen. How did you get there? Go to link demo and watch the fuel trim video. This will help your idle and cruise tune.

http://www.ecmtuning.com/demos/fueltrim.html

You have an evo8/3g maf?

The Maf slider is like that from what link recommends me to do. You know how you go for a spin, right click on the log and you can choose MAFComp Adjust (CombinedFT)?
That's what I get. I'll adjust it today after work. I also read that WBfactor helps in determining how much to add at the Hz of the Maf.

I have a evo 8 maf, correct. I'll also adjust the rest of the variables you recommended. Thanks for the suggestions!!!!!!!

Your MAF compensation wants some massive swings at 500 and under. Not quite sure why that is, I normally do not see wild swings like that. What brand are the injectors?

Bosch EV14 2200cc Injectors, not from any vender, just ones you get on eBay. They were flow tested at a local vender, everything works as it should.

Did you adjust openloopthreshold in DA while getting the log for cruise? Good sweeps of 50% throttle? Post the log of your cruise that got you those values

Go to YouTube and search Scott Laird. He has a good video on tuning cruise for maf. Remember to change you openloopthreshold before you do this so it stays in closed loop longer. When you’re done, change it back to stock.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go to YouTube and search Scott Laird. He has a good video on tuning cruise for maf. Remember to change you openloopthreshold before you do this so it stays in closed loop longer. When you’re done, change it back to stock.

I"ll look for that video and watch it, thanks.

I didn't do the openloopthreshold, but I will now.

I'll post an update log later today, hopefully it doesn't rain down here -.-

That’s probably why it’s all over the place. It’s the easiest part. Since 2g’s doesn’t have an idle switch, select “simulate idle switch using tps”. I don’t think that was selected

post the cruise log when you’re done

That’s probably why it’s all over the place. It’s the easiest part. Since 2g’s doesn’t have an idle switch, select “simulate idle switch using tps”. I don’t think that was selected

post the cruise log when you’re done

Alrighty, will do that too. Man I was missing a bunch of stuff. Thanks for the help!

Or just check our Tech Articles section, most all his videos are linked and organized in this thread:
https://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/50-video-tutorials-for-ecmlink.529452/

We're trying to get more DSMers who post videos on Youtube to organize and list them in our Tech Articles to make this the central place where people can find them among all the other articles.

*Update*

So it's raining down here, couldn't work on the car like I wanted. I did however turn it in for a few and noticed injector number 4 leaking from the rail. I have o-rings, no big deal. That will have to wait until tomorrow.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back