The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support Morrison Fabrications
Please Support STM Tuned

Crankwalk alternatives

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

95'GSX-rated

Probationary Member
Nov 29, 2006
Bristol, Connecticut
ok, so, i think my 95' gsx suffered from crankwalk. i was driving to goto work and on an on-ramp, being about a 40 to 50 degree angle, my engine rev'd out, thinking nothing of it because it's an automatic and i just figured it was shifting, rev'd out to about 5k and shifted then again at 5.5k then died. i was only traveling at about 20 mph and came to a stop. i tried getting it started again and just gunned it to the shoulder. Then it would just turn over then stall, while still being in park. Afterwards being on the side of the highway i tried again i got it started but there was an obnoxiously loud grinding/clunking sound and it would stall again. Its been sitting at my garage for about 2 weeks now and my mechanic just said "the bottom end let go." he didn't rip it apart to look at it, it was only an audio inspection, so IF it is crankwalk what would i have to do to not do it again? Would getting a new crank, bearings, pressure plate, crank sensor, and whatever else is needed, solve this problem in future instances...or is will this be forever embed in my brain as a constant problem. :beatentodeath:

any other diagnosis input is highly valued.

I'm glad this came up, because I recently came across an interesting link (using the Wayback Machine) that ShapeGSX posted up a long time ago. Here it is! :)

Click here, please.

I believe the only way to know for certain is to actually physically examine the crank which can be done by pulling the oil pan. But your description does suggest crankwalk as a possible cause. I speak from experience as my motor was destroyed by crankwalk and the grinding sound that you describe sounds familiar. I heard the sound and the motor just shut down and that was the end of that motor. When the motor was pulled and torn down all of the rods were bent.

I took advantage of the misfortune to put a 6 bolt motor in and I have been very happy with it. In it's untouched form it is capable of handling more boost than a 7 bolt and it is much more unlikely to crankwalk. Even though the majority of 7 bolts will not walk, you just never know. And anyone who's ever had full, endstage crankwalk that takes their motor out will understand how nervous it makes you anytime you hear a strange sound from the motor.

Good luck, maybe it will end up being something less catastrophic.

so even if i were get an after market crank and bearings with extra oil guides would i still run the risk of getting crank walk? if so, i might as well just spend a little extra money and swap it with a 6 bolt and just mish-mash parts to get the best of both worlds...instead of rebuilding the entire motor...any objections?

I'm glad this came up, because I recently came across an interesting link (using the Wayback Machine) that ShapeGSX posted up a long time ago. Here it is! :)

Click here, please.

I'm still running that modified bearing in my 6-bolt engine. Let's see. That was over 60,000mi ago. Maybe even 70,000. Since February 2001. Jeez.

Wow, I didn't even give the link directly to your post, Josh. Silly me. Here it is. A couple days after I made that post I realized it was already on VFAQ. :coy: BTW Josh's posts are down near the bottom FTW.

I think it should be noted (if I can remember correctly) that Josh is on his 4th engine. The first three all crankwalked on him - the original 7-bolt and then two additional 6-bolts. OMG Just thought I'd throw that out there for people to chew on.

Oh yeah, and I love reading Josh's "newbie" posts from '97. They're a hoot-and-a-half!! :D

I think it should be noted (if I can remember correctly) that Josh is on his 4th engine. The first three all crankwalked on him - the original 7-bolt and then two additional 6-bolts. OMG Just thought I'd throw that out there for people to chew on.

Oh yeah, and I love reading Josh's "newbie" posts from '97. They're a hoot-and-a-half!! :D

This is my second engine. I had a crankwalked 7-bolt and this 6-bolt.

I had RPM drop on clutch-in on my first 2 thrust bearings in my 6-bolt due to bad alignment. I replaced these two thrust bearings with the engine in the car, and the crank still in the engine. Not an easy thing to have to do once, let alone twice. Let me tell you, that was a fun February for me. Third bearing was the charm. I aligned the bearing by having my wife press in on the clutch pedal while I tightened down the center main cap from under the engine.

Since then, everything has been fine.

That 6-bolt was the first engine I ever built.

^^ Hmmm. Maybe I'm thinking of Jewer? I can't recall. I'll have to look through some old posts sometime.

Not-so-aimlessly-searching-around, I found this site and this site (courtesy of the Wayback Machine) with some nice photos. Some of you may want to think about saving these photos in a folder; they may not be there forever.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back