The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

Crank shaft removal

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sullbren17

Proven Member
Nov 29, 2012
Chadron, Nebraska
Im having trouble removing my crank case. Do i have to remove the sprocket on the crank? I have the engine on the engine stand and i have the oil pump unbolted and i cant even get it lose.

watch this vid (assuming u have a 4g63 ?) he did a good job and the vid and jafro is a great person for info in his vids
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkq8tZwZyC4]CRANKWALKED? 7-bolt teardown 1080HD - YouTube[/ame]

Last edited:
yeah i have my rods and everything taken out of it and its on my basement

I have the sproket were the timing belt slips on the crank on there do i need to remove that????

I still have the crank case on the block i guess thats what i cant get off is the crank case..

If you got the bolts off then you need use some man power and bust it off with flat head and mallet. If we talking about popping the case off.

I have the bellhousing inspection plate on with the stand.. do i need to remove that i have the harmonic balancer and the flywheel off and i have the oil pump unbolted the water pump is on but i dont think that matters

So i got it off, i feel stupid because i took the block off the engine stand.. and i got i looked at it and i found that there was a bolt by the oil filter adapter.. but my main bearings look bad too.. so i dont know what im suppose to do.

trying not to be rude here but after looking at the post and reading some others you have made you might be in a little over your head. id take it to a machine shop or do allot of reading before you go farther.
also get a shop manual and read it. it will tell you everything :)

I agree with the the guy above me. You are far too inexperienced to be dealing with such critical parts. Tear down is all fine and dandy but if I were you I wouldnt even think about attempting to put an engine together. If you want it to last more than 10 minutes that is. I would suggest either buy a good complete used engine or find a reputable machine shop to do your engine work and assembly.

I know you've already got the crankshaft out but Im going to answer anyways. Yes you needed to take the timing sprocket off, then you'd need to remove the front case. A few bolts and a light tap with a soft mallet or smaller dead blow hammer on the inside of the case to unbond the gasket would do the trick. Then there would be a rear main seal case on the back, maybe 5 bolts on that? Unfamiliar with the 420a but same basic principle. Main caps and it would lift right out.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MM-6Ijuz2m0]420a crank sprocket removal made easier - YouTube[/ame]

I used this method to remove it. I have someone from colorado thats going to help me through the steps to get the job done. i am goint to have the machine shop put the crankshaft and internals in for me. im going to lap the valves and replace everything in my head myself but i am going to take it to the machine shop to have them check out my work before i use the head im rebuilding the whole head. and im going to have the machine shop do the internals and stuff but they said that i will have to do the sproket and balencer myself and flywheel. and all that fun stuff. i have a press for both of them i had the first time i took off the harmonic balencer to do my timing. like i said i dont think its that i dont have the knowlage i just cant put it in words is my problem.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back