The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

2G Copper galore!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spideydsm99

Proven Member
May 30, 2017
Cherryville, North_Carolina
Hello fellow dsm people! I have a 99 gst with 231k still has the original motor and it's all stock. But it was pushing coolant and had no compression in cylinder 4. Turns out that was because of bent valve so I fixed that.

Now since I had the motor most of the way torn down I figured I'd do a balance shaft delete. This is where things get bad and I need help with. I took the oil pan off and noticed a bunch of crap that didn't look to good right in front of the oil drain inside the pan. It was mostly copper and 3 pieces of something metal and to thick to be a bearing.
You must be logged in to view this image or video.
and also this is all the copper that was with it. And a pic of one of the balance shaft bearings
the motor did not knock or anything. So what do you guys think I should do and look at next? Thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMG_20170530_201310.jpg
    IMG_20170530_201310.jpg
    154.7 KB · Views: 58
Yeah it sucks because I just put a new water pump and timing belt with a balance shaft belt on it a few months back.
Oh well though I'll just use this as an excuse to put my other motor in and thoroughly go through this one. I know that's a crazy amount of copper chunks though. Hopefully the cranks ect is okay.

as much as i am an advocate for keeping balance shafts, it looks to me like all that metal is from the balance shafts and odds are the holes are wallered out and you will not be able to put new balance shaft bearings and balance shafts back in that motor. (remember the balance shafts are on about a 2x multiplier, your balance shafts were over due for maintenance.)

as long as the metal didn't mangle the crank and stuff, a good BSE kit and you should be back in business.

@zedicus Yeah the only reasons I was going to do away with the balance shafts were because they move 2x as fast and the motor has lived a long life of 231k. But I'll be yanking to motor out today and taking the main cap off and rod caps.

I do have a question, if everything on the mains and rods look fine. Should I throw a new set of bearings in? Or just rock the ones thats in it?

So I have only got number one and four rod bearings out. But I believe I caught it just in time.

This is number 4 rod bearing

This is number 1

@motomattx I'll be honest I have no clue because I bought the car knowing it needed headwork. I wasn't about to drive it the way it was so I haven't even changed the oil in it. And now we're here. Haha but like I said above it has 231k on the whole thing.

So im sorry about the late update on the main bearings. But it's really not looking well. :cry:
Here's the crankshaft and the main bearings. It has scratches in it, but I hope/believe they will polish out. What do you all think?

Your looking at around $125-$150 or so to cut a crank, and maybe $75 to polish, but honestly its whatever the local market will bear on price, at least one of those journals doesnt look like it would polish out plus they may not even be round anymore, that needs to go to a person thats an expert in crankshaft service, the yellow pages is your best friend for that.

I found a local guy a few of my friends have went to and I've seen his work. There charging me 75$ to turn the crank and 125$ to bore the block because the Piston to wall clearance is out of spec. Im hoping in a few month the whole engine will be done. Just gotta get all the parts first. Haha

The oil pump clearances was really loose also. So I believe thats what caused the bearings to go. But all well just going to look at it as a opportunity to build a new engine.

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back