The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support JNZ Tuning
Please Support STM Tuned

Coolant Temperature Sensor stuck

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boostedgst523

15+ Year Contributor
Oct 29, 2007
Houston, Texas
Like the title states, my coolant temperature sensor is stuck. I've tried a wrench, penetrating oil, and vice grips and it still won't come out. I've been battling with this sensor so much that I stripped it a little. Is there any other way possible to remove the coolant temperature sensor? Any advice and tips are appreciated. Please help :pray:

Have you tried a ratchet with a socket on it? That will give you alot more bite/torque than with a wrench or vice grips. Maybe putting a little heat on it with a propane or mapp gas torch would help break it loose.

Try heat depending on where the sensor is, be careful about using too much heat. after you heat it take a non scented candle and see if the wax will wick into the threads.. Dont over do it , just a little wax.

Have you tried a ratchet with a socket on it? That will give you alot more bite/torque than with a wrench or vice grips. Maybe putting a little heat on it with a propane or mapp gas torch would help break it loose.
Unfortunately, it's too stripped to get a ratchet with a socket on it. I didn't have deep sockets that's why I tried the other ways.

Try heat depending on where the sensor is, be careful about using too much heat. after you heat it take a non scented candle and see if the wax will wick into the threads.. Dont over do it , just a little wax
I'll try to heat it as you both said and I'll get back to you guys :thumb:
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

I tried everything advised and I ended up stripping the $hit out of it LOL. I have no idea as to how I'm gonna remove the sensor. If worst comes to worst, I think I'll just have to buy the lower part of the thermostat housing (if that's even possible). Other than that, I'm clueless.

Best thing to do with a stuck bolt, sensor, etc... Heat the area AROUND the bolt (or whatever), until it gets good and hot. Not red hot if you are using oxy-acetylene, just too hot to touch, and try to keep the heat away from the bolt. Yes, some heat will radiate to the bolt and heat it up too, but not as much. This will make the hole expand. Next, spray the bolt/sensor with penetrating lube, and let it sit for a while. Between the expansion of the hole, and the adding of the penetrating lube, it will break loose. You may have to do it a couple times, but it will work.

Best thing to do with a stuck bolt, sensor, etc... Heat the area AROUND the bolt (or whatever), until it gets good and hot. Not red hot if you are using oxy-acetylene, just too hot to touch, and try to keep the heat away from the bolt. Yes, some heat will radiate to the bolt and heat it up too, but not as much. This will make the hole expand. Next, spray the bolt/sensor with penetrating lube, and let it sit for a while. Between the expansion of the hole, and the adding of the penetrating lube, it will break loose. You may have to do it a couple times, but it will work.

Would this work on over tightened bolts?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back