The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support ExtremePSI

Coolant leak

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse602

Probationary Member
Jun 26, 2012
Delmont, Maryland
Okay so I have a coolant leak. I overheated on the way home from work. I checked it out and could not find any leak from any of the lines etc, but my thermostat housing seems wet. So I'm thinking get a new housing and thermostat? Also the majority of the coolant was a little to the right bottom of the housing so I'm thinking that's it? What do you guys think? eBay 1g new thermostat, and just get new hose to radiator?

Pull the t-stat out, put into a pot of boiling water and see if the plunger pulls the inner flange down. If not, your T-stat has stuck closed. Time for a new T-stat. Or, the housing gasket let go on you causing the leakage.

With T-stat out, flush the system completely to rid of corrosion. Put in new T-stat and gasket and torque the two bolts down evenly and in steps so one bolt isn't tighter than the other. Add 50/50 coolant and fill the radiator to the top, then fill the overflow bottle to the FULL line.

See what goes from there. - good luck - DSM

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back