The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support ExtremePSI
Please Support STM Tuned

420A Coolant Leak - Rear engine on passenger side?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jccjr1982

15+ Year Contributor
Jan 21, 2006
San Diego, California
Hello,

I have a coolant leak somewhere in the rear of the engine bay on the passenger side. (When I press the upper radiator hose, I can hear hissing from that area too). I got a flashlight and looked, but I can't seem to locate it. Coolant splattered everywhere just in that area doesn't makes things any easier.

I've been searching and most suggestions I find for similar sounding issues state that it could be the the water pump... but since thats more towards the front of the engine and the hissing sound from pressing the radiator hose is definitely coming from the rear (and the sound doesn't sound like its coming from deep in that area), I think I can eliminate that. Any ideas where this leak is coming from?

Another question: My UltraGauge shows my coolant temp. jumped from 210 °F to 230°F when I noticed the coolant smell and smoke. Luckily I was just arriving home. My engine never goes past 220 even on the hottest days... so is reaching 230°F considered "overheating" for this engine?

Other info:
  • '97 Talon ESi 420a w/ 89k~ miles
  • Stock upper radiator hose clamps just gave out a few weeks ago (perhaps this current issue is a sign of the same age related parts issue?)
  • No CEL code thrown or pending

so is reaching 230°F considered "overheating" for this engine?
what was the temp gauge reading - needle buried in the red on the gauge? Dang, 230F is overcooking the motor! Bet, the T-stat stuck closed on you!

1997 - original hoses? you changed clamps, but not the hoses? Odd, you should do both. Could be heater hoses that are in dire need of changing as well... Even any sort of hose that runs coolant through them should be changed out periodically.

Good luck - DSM

Hose to heater core?

That's what I would suspect as well.

It's pretty bad that you only changed the clamps and not the hoses. They dry out, get brittle, buldge etc. If you take the clamp off and there is a massive indentation then it's time for a change or if it's a new hose, cut that section off.

LOL yes I changed the hoses, I just stated that the clamps went out (one of then had a hairline crack which caused it to seep when the pressure built up). Also changed the clamps and hose above the exhaust manifold since it was in the area.

Where I think I went wrong was I should've changed ALL clamps around the whole system since they are the same age and were probably bound to fail around the same time/within weeks of each other...

----------------------
Automerged post:

Thanks for the help!

It was the lower heater core hose. Has a split right down the middle about an inch from the firewall hose clamp. Wasn't immediately noticeable because it was right between the upper and lower hose.

I'm going to assume old age is the main reason, but is there anything else I should be concerned about? My heat was fine before this happened, so I don't think a clogged core could be the issue.

The intake manifold is in the way gosh darnit, so doesn't look like its going to be a simple R&R. I don't have the knowledge or time for this, so its going to the shop.

I'm for sure going to have both those hoses/clamps replaced. Anything else I should have done while that area is exposed?

Last edited:
Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back