The Top DSM Community on the Web

For 1990-1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse, Eagle Talon, Plymouth Laser, and Galant VR-4 Owners. Log in to remove most ads.

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Rix Racing

Compression Results, HG?

This site may earn a commission from merchant
affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bluefire16

15+ Year Contributor
Mar 30, 2007
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Hey guys, ive done this 2 times now and just like it says on the VFAQ.

Checked the compression, WOT with the injector fuse pulled.

Numbers came back (from left to right on top of the head) 150, 145, 130, 130

I have had some heating issues recently and i think i am burning VERY little coolant, because it seems the level is going down. I am NOT SMOKING however, no white exhaust.

So think a bad HG is the problem here? And whats the service limit? I have read 121 and 131. I have had like 8 sources for each so im unaware of which one.

131 is the service limit for 1g's I know. Can't imagine it's much different for 2g's.

From the VFAQ:

1G (90-94) T/E/L 1.8L NT engine
Compression ratio 9.0:1
Standard compression 185 psi
Service limit 131 psi

1G (90-94) T/E/L 2.0L NT engine
Compression ratio 9.0:1
Standard compression 192 psi
Service limit 145 psi

1G (90-94) T/E/L 2.0L Turbo engine
Compression ratio 7.8:1
Standard compression 164 psi
Service limit 121 psi

2G (95-99) T/E 2.0L NT 420A engine
Compression ratio 9.8:1
Standard compression 170-225 psi
Service limit 100 psi

2G (95-99) T/E 2.0L 4G63 Turbo engine
Compression ratio 8.5:1
Standard compression 178 psi
Service limit 133 psi

2G (95-99) T/E 2.4L NT Spyder engine
Compression ratio 9.5:1
Standard compression 192 psi
Service limit 146 psi

Hope this helps!

There is also a service limit for maximum allowable pressure difference (MAPD) between any two cylinders. For all engines except the 420A, the MAPD between any two cylinders is 14 psi. The 420A is allowed a 25% difference between cylinders.

Alright i thought 131 was for ours, and 121 was for 1gs with turbo. Like stated above, thanks for confirming.

So do you think the headgasket could be the reason for heating? I think its the reason why my compression is bad as well

A leakdown test will show where the compression is going. Or put compressed air into the cylinder when it's at TDC and listen and feel for where the air is going.

I just had a similar problem in my 2g's 6-bolt. It used very little water and I had compression right around 115-116 across the cylinders. It ended up being a supposedly "MLS" headgasket installed from a well known shop. :cry:

What do the plugs look like? Check to see if one or two are cleaner than the rest
If so the head gasket is leaking steam cleans the hell out of plugs.

Well, needless to say im going to pull the head after the winter. Im buying all the parts now, and getting ready for the big day.

Im slowly burning coolant, so im sure its the HG because of the low compression in the 2 cylinders and the burning.

Well, needless to say im going to pull the head after the winter. Im buying all the parts now, and getting ready for the big day.

Im slowly burning coolant, so im sure its the HG because of the low compression in the 2 cylinders and the burning.

Going to cast my vote for the blown headgasket

Definitely headgasket, glad to hear you've figured it out. Figure out which one you're going with yet?

I'v been reading up on which one to go with and people have been suggesting either the mitsubishi composit or MLS, but I havent decided yet either.

I have read enough from other threads in the past to say that a stock OEM Mitsubishi gasket from the dealership with ARPs is fine up to like 450hp. Im looking for 350-400 in the long run.

And pro only looking at like 20-24psi on my 20g

I have read enough from other threads in the past to say that a stock OEM Mitsubishi gasket from the dealership with ARPs is fine up to like 450hp. Im looking for 350-400 in the long run.

And pro only looking at like 20-24psi on my 20g

In that case the OEM MLS and ARP's would put you right where you want to be with plenty room for error.

My car's being setup for autox, so I'm looking for a similiar power goal and everyone's recommended the OEM MLS.

now I have a question I live in Montana where the elevation is a lot higher than most people on this forum should I still be seeing 178psi in my cylinders? I was told that up here normal 8.5:1 Compression would show around 150ish psi. Are our cars the exception to that? I know my HG is done for. I'm just wondering should I still be seeing 178psi up here or is 150 going to be regular dur to the thinner air?

Support Vendors who Support the DSM Community
Boosted Fabrication ECM Tuning ExtremePSI Fuel Injector Clinic Innovation Products Jacks Transmissions JNZ Tuning Kiggly Racing Morrison Fabrications MyMitsubishiStore.com RixRacing RockAuto RTM Racing STM Tuned

Latest posts

Build Thread Updates

Vendor Updates

Latest Classifieds

Back