1. Join the Community!

DSMtuners is a massive archive of DSM information - but more importantly, it's a COMMUNITY! Join in and participate with other DSMers, and invite all of your DSM friends to make this place their home. Chat with others, create a build thread, post questions and answers. Get involved! Logging in will also remove many of the advertisements, along with this notice. ;)

Cold air intake

Posted by Th3ory, Apr 21, 2018

Please Support STM Tuned
Please Support Fuel Injector Clinic
  1. Th3ory

Th3ory Proven Member

Joined Aug 6, 2015
    Centralia, Washington
    This is a simple project compaired to whats going on out there. But I figured I would share anyways.

I started this today, and still need to clean up where I cut out the hole for the intake pipe to go through to the fender. I will use a drimel and grind all of the hole smooth, then put a seal around it. I also plan on getting all silicon hose couplers in black, intake and intercooler. Some are blue and some are black at the moment.

I had a short ram SD intake already on the car, but figured I was pulling in a lot of hot engine air.

All the piping is 3.5 inch, off of an FP Green.

Attached Files:

Street Build 595  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    automatic · 2G DSM

1K  7

1998 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    347.3 whp · 300.4 lb/ft · 2G DSM
    Bud92gsx likes this.
  2. Th3ory

Th3ory Proven Member

Joined Aug 6, 2015
    Centralia, Washington
    A few more pictures.

Attached Files:

Street Build 595  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    automatic · 2G DSM

1K  7

Bud92gsx likes this.
  3. Vegas smith

Vegas smith Proven Member

Joined Dec 2, 2002
    Houston, Texas
    Nice. What size and angle piping did you use? I made one for my old 18g that was a little simpler
    DSC_0976.JPG

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018

Street Build 3K  10

1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    awd · manual · 1G DSM
    Bud92gsx likes this.
  4. Th3ory

Th3ory Proven Member

Joined Aug 6, 2015
    Centralia, Washington
    Its a full 3.5inch from the fliter to the turbo. No neck downs.

There are two pieces of pipe. The frist part "off the turbo" is actually intercooler piping.

The second part, that goes through the fender is a 90 degree angle at 3.5 inches. I looked around for a few days online for a 3.5inch 90 degree piece of pipe, but didnt want to wait for shipping or chance a wrong part coming in. So I went to a local truck parts store, they had a 3.5inch 90 degree exhaust piece. Which I cut a few inches off and fit perfect. Plus it was cheaper then any online pipe, paid 20 bucks for it.

I only drive the car if its nice out, however it would take one minute to pull off the 90 degree pipe and place the fliter back inside the engine bay if I got stuck in a down poor rain storm.

Street Build 595  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    automatic · 2G DSM

1K  7

5. Scott McIntyre

Scott McIntyre DSM Wiseman

Joined Mar 15, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    This is key because if you drive in the wet, the metal screen on your filter will rust. I know from experience. :coy:

2K  0

1997 Eagle Talon TSi AWD
    manual · 2G DSM
  6. Bud92gsx

Bud92gsx Proven Member

Joined Jan 16, 2008
    Wisconsin, Wisconsin
    X2
    I know the feeling. But it's a sweet mod I'll give you that.

4K  14  14

1992 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
    13.300 @ 102.400 · 1G DSM
  7. techboy

techboy Proven Member

Joined Feb 3, 2018
    Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania
    Nice little mod there ... and probably easier than trying to build an effective isolation box. I did something like this myself about 20 years ago on my turbo'd 420A ... but I didn't end up having that car very long.

Street Build 1K  6

1999 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST
    13.876 @ 106.97 · 2G DSM